Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting to purchase a new 2022 GT PLUS. I have visited (3) local dealerships and have gotten the same old story. Nobody seems to want to move off of MSRP.

I thought the first one may have just been a fluke, so I tried two others. One of them was even goofy enough to provide the POC with EP, Holdback, etc listed, but didn't seem interested in anything but MSRP.

I got a great deal on my 2020, so this seems unusual.

In reading the forum, I know the factory has been shutdown for a couple of months. I am just wondering if they are trying to discourage anyone from ordering right now until production is ramped back up, or if perhaps something else is afoot.

Thanks in advance for opinions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dealers are only able to get about 25% of the new cars that they would like to get. They can easily sell all the cars they can get at full price. Why would they even consider charging less then full MSRP? Have you ever herd of "Supply & Demand". You are lucky they will even sell one at MSRP. In many places they are selling for more than MSRP.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dealers are only able to get about 25% of the new cars that they would like to get. They can easily sell all the cars they can get at full price. Why would they even consider charging less then full MSRP? Have you ever herd of "Supply & Demand". You are lucky they will even sell one at MSRP. In many places they are selling for more than MSRP.
Someone is grouchy today... Keep calling around other dealerships. Dont stop until you are confident you are getting they best deal available.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Use a buying service to get best pricing from a dealer. I used one and got 3k off sticker for my wife's Jeep.

One thing I noticed, a 2022 Durango R/T with the same exact features my 2021 R/T has costs 5k more sticker then my 2021.
Insane! My 2021 sticker was $53.9k and the 2022 is $58.5k. I suggest waiting until July to buy because gas is still going up and the dealers by me are now sitting on big fat SUVs because of it. You will see better rebates as well in July.

If you dont mind waiting, then order one and your dealer will (should) give you the typical discounts. Plus you get what you want since it is slim pickings on lots now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As Vice mentioned.... if you can 'wait'.... consider ordering one. You should be able to find a dealer to order one below MSRP or at Invoice or what the dealer might refer as 'FWP'. You can just call / email dealers to see if they will order a car below MSRP. I had a few say they ONLY ordered at MSRP... I found one that ordered at Invoice/FWP. You may have better luck at larger volume dealers.

Reactions: Vice-White

·
Registered
163 Posts
So yes the MSRP is way up from 2021. Also, be advised as of right now if you order a 2022 you have ONLY 4 color choices. Plus you must be ready for the wait. I ordered my 2022 DDSRT on 03/23/22 and as of today it is still stuck in "D". If I am very lucky I may see my DDSRT sometime in August but I am thinking more like September/ October. So that is a solid 8 months from order to delivery.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I agree...wait if you can....were heading toward a recession fast with inflation at record highs and the fed now having to up interest rates and stop printing money. So assuming the factory will keep building Durango's should be some on sale this fall. Maybe...

BTW, Klevitt speaks the truth. There is a global shortage of chips...and we still have supply issues, visit any dealership and see how many vehicles they have for sale...very few new ones. Heck, can't get baby formula in a majority of the states!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2022 RT black top a few months ago 55k mrsp I got 4500 off for affiliate rewards 500 off from a rebate for lost lead they emailed me and 2000 off for rebates they had going on at the time and they probably gave me 3 more thousand than my trade in was worth. Binghamton Dodge NY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Attempting to purchase a new 2022 GT PLUS. I have visited (3) local dealerships and have gotten the same old story. Nobody seems to want to move off of MSRP.

I thought the first one may have just been a fluke, so I tried two others. One of them was even goofy enough to provide the POC with EP, Holdback, etc listed, but didn't seem interested in anything but MSRP.

In reading the forum, I know the factory has been shutdown for a couple of months. I am just wondering if they are trying to discourage anyone from ordering right now until production is ramped back up, or if perhaps something else is afoot.

the facts are not in your favor right now. as everyone has said, there is still no inventory. and there will not be for the rest of this year and very probably next year. there is a Recession coming, yes. but this is not going to help your situation. MY 2023 is by all accounts the last MY for the Durango as we know it. buy one now or face the real possibility of not getting one.

I strongly advise you to order from the factory. there are a couple dealers that we know that will sell for under dealer invoice (FWP) on factory orders. you may have to drive, but you can get it your way AND at a discount.

I bought mine in December from Mike Clinnin at Mall of Georgia in Atlanta. Mike was great to work with.

factory order times should be improving starting now. the factory was shut down for over 2 months and just started back up in the last couple weeks. this was a planned shutdown but anyone that ordered in March or later was caught up in that delay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much to all of the Group members out there that responded with helpful information. Lots of good input and thoughts.

I did / do plan to factory order this vehicle for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:

1. I know exactly what I want, with respect to available color, options, etc.

2. I know there is nothing that currently exists anywhere with the options I am looking for.

3. I'm not in a hurry for delivery.

I'm certainly not opposed to doing some travel to get a decent deal. I did have to do some driving to pick up my 2020. So, for middle TN, Atlanta or similar destinations, that would only be 2 - 3 hours tops for me.

I guess we'll see if anything changes next month (like two weeks away now, where has this year gone?). I suppose it may be anyone's guess as to how long they will extend the 2022's, given that the plant is just now getting back online. In the meantime, I will seek out some Dealers with Internet facing Sales in neighboring States that may be more amenable to negotiation, per suggestions from some of the Group members. I was also able to locate the list of Power Brokers. Thanks for that tip as well.

RE: Mike C @ Mall of GA CDJR - FYI - I checked their web site and looks as though he may be gone. Different Internet Sales guy, but I can run it by him as well.

As far as MSRP increases, yes, I have noticed that as well. As with everything else that is going up, not much we can do about that except move on.

With respect to supply / demand, I am aware of that concept as well. However, I am in my mid 60's, and I can't recall ever paying MSRP. Negotiation has always been a part of the process. Being presented with an opportunity to pay MSRP certainly does diminish "demand" somewhat on my part :)

I think it is fairly well known what the markup and other incentives are for the Dealer. For me, I consider a fair deal to be somewhere between where I feel like I am getting a good deal, and the Sales guy is getting compensated as well.

Regards,

B

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks very much to all of the Group members out there that responded with helpful information. Lots of good input and thoughts.

I did / do plan to factory order this vehicle for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:

1. I know exactly what I want, with respect to available color, options, etc.

2. I know there is nothing that currently exists anywhere with the options I am looking for.

3. I'm not in a hurry for delivery.

I'm certainly not opposed to doing some travel to get a decent deal. I did have to do some driving to pick up my 2020. So, for middle TN, Atlanta or similar destinations, that would only be 2 - 3 hours tops for me.
Do a search in the overall forum for Koons, you'll get plenty of hits... You will find the salesman name and number for dealing with Koons, they were ordering a certain % below invoice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used a broker to get 8.75% off invoice and lock in 5/4/2022 residual (54%) on my build I ordered 2 weeks ago. Went with AWD RT/plus (c22), TnGo, Blacktop, Red calipers, red interior and destroyer grey. With the discount and high residual on the lease deal is a lot of car for the money. Wait time is the bad part, Today I got the email from Dodge my order is about to begin being built (not D1 status yet). I've never had to use a broker before, but the market is insane right now and dealers arent cutting deals on anything they have on the lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used a broker to get 8.75% off invoice and lock in 5/4/2022 residual (54%) on my build I ordered 2 weeks ago. Went with AWD RT/plus (c22), TnGo, Blacktop, Red calipers, red interior and destroyer grey. With the discount and high residual on the lease deal is a lot of car for the money. Wait time is the bad part, Today I got the email from Dodge my order is about to begin being built (not D1 status yet). I've never had to use a broker before, but the market is insane right now and dealers arent cutting deals on anything they have on the lot.
Wow, not familiar at all with a 'broker' method.... If you don't mind, could you briefly explain that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, not familiar at all with a 'broker' method.... If you don't mind, could you briefly explain that?
Auto brokers, there are 1000's of them. One of them I had pricing leases out on some cars happened to send out his current deals he has with some of his dealers. So saw DD on his list and sent him my build. Check out Leasehacker, its a large forum of brokers and customer discussing deals they got, it has lease calculator and its pretty simple. Prior to this market I have never had to use a broker before, MSRP was always a joke #, now some of the cars I was looking at on the lot had $20K mark ups (market adjustments), something manufactures are battling now with reducing allocations to the franchise dealers who are gouging prices. Anway I happened to stumble on to this broker and got lucky. The selling dealer isnt in my state, but with that said, I do a web meeting to go over lease paperwork, visually go over the car, and either fly up to get or have it delivered. I have to look at my paperwork but dealer is Mark something Dodge in Louisiana, not sure where my broker is located but apparently he moves a lot of units for this dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Simplified, they are like mortgage brokers who work with a circle of banks. These brokers work with certain dealers, they know how many builds those dealers have allocation availability on as well. You pay the brokers a fee when you sign the deal. Some are $500, some are $750.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Simplified, they are like mortgage brokers who work with a circle of banks. These brokers work with certain dealers, they know how many builds those dealers have allocation availability on as well. You pay the brokers a fee when you sign the deal. Some are $500, some are $750.
Thanks for the explanation... Makes complete sense, never realized they existed....

·
Registered
55 Posts

When I ordered my 2020 SXT , the base price was $30495 . It is now like $37700 for base price of the same car . So we are talking an increase of almost $7000 in 2 years . Glad i got mine in before covid . Couldnt swing another $7000 in price .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts