Dodge Durango Forum banner
861 - 880 of 913 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
So I have a question ...

A couple of Saturdays ago (7/10) when I went to pick up my DDHC I had a friend drive me there. He fell in love with it and decided to ask the dealer to put an order in the system for him. Dealer said he was happy to, but that between the delays, constraints, shutdowns, and it only being a 21MY it was a long shot at this late stage.

Now, nine days later, it is showing in D status and has a VIN assigned but no ship date. I know this is a weird year but under normal circumstances wouldn't that mean that he is going to get the vehicle at some point? I can't imagine they would assign a VIN and subsequently decide to not build it.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
I’ve always been told by dealerships when it makes it to D1 status with a VIN, Dodge has accepted the order and will build it but with no official start date.

I’d say your friend should be good since we’re only in July. If it starts to get towards October/November with no start, then I’d be worried as they would most likely cancel it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I have a question ...

A couple of Saturdays ago (7/10) when I went to pick up my DDHC I had a friend drive me there. He fell in love with it and decided to ask the dealer to put an order in the system for him. Dealer said he was happy to, but that between the delays, constraints, shutdowns, and it only being a 21MY it was a long shot at this late stage.

Now, nine days later, it is showing in D status and has a VIN assigned but no ship date. I know this is a weird year but under normal circumstances wouldn't that mean that he is going to get the vehicle at some point? I can't imagine they would assign a VIN and subsequently decide to not build it.
This is not unheard of right now. Depends on the "bonus" dealer allocations that were issued which theoretically pushed production numbers towards 3,000. Many of the bigger dealers were awarded a bunch of extra allocations. If it happened to be one of those extra allocations they seem to have been gobbled up quickly by the production computer and a VIN issued. One would assume that if a VIN has been issued that vehicle should be produced. However, there is a ton in play right now. Most of the existing orders with VINs and status were ratcheted back a few steps as a result of the 4 week shutdown. Dodge has a serious money maker here with demand. They will make as many as they can within this model year. The plant retooling has been delayed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow? I’m curious to know how parts suppliers are going bankrupt? The demand for vehicles is insanely high right now. I know a person that works for Peterbuilt and they were having issues getting axles for their rigs, too. Seems like the need is there across all lines?
Unfortunately it is pretty easy right now. Most suppliers are dependent on their Tier 2 and Tier 3 sources for parts. Let's say the raw castings for the axles were coming from China. Shipping from China is not only taking a lot longer but also costing a lot more. If they can't get base material to finish machine and assemble they can supply material to the automakers. A lot of the automotive suppliers are just in time (JIT) suppliers and get fined heavily if they are late. If their source of supply is behind and costing a heckuva lot more the margin is gone. I also think this shutdown is a collection of several parts shortages and not just chips. Steel, resin for non-metallics and other materials are very hard to come by. If you are missing a major component or two for an SUV, one that you can't install after it is built, it doesn't make any sense to send that vehicle, or any vehicle, down the assembly line. With the volumes they build in a single day they need to have a buffer of at least a week or two in the pipeline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure why I'm even posting, but I'm still in KZ status with an ever slipping estimated ship date. As of today, the estimated ship date is 07/20. I've tried escalating with the dealer, Dodge, and even emailed Tim Kuniskis just to see if I'd get anything back (which I didn't, haha). The dealer knows nothing and Dodge seems to know even less. They can't even tell me if the vehicle was impacted by the recent flooding. 8+ months waiting, which is just so frustrating since even some folks in my region ordered just a handful of months ago and seem to have theirs already...

I just wish someone could tell me something more concrete, but nobody at Dodge seems able or willing to do that.
Quick update -- I'm at a loss for words. The dealer let me know today that they're not sure why, but my order from 11/09/2020 went from KZ with the latest delivery date of today back to D1. I called SRT to ask for more information and they pushed me back to the dealer. I escalated and they said I'll get a call back in about two days.

At this point, what can I even do?

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
Quick update -- I'm at a loss for words. The dealer let me know today that they're not sure why, but my order from 11/09/2020 went from KZ with the latest delivery date of today back to D1. I called SRT to ask for more information and they pushed me back to the dealer. I escalated and they said I'll get a call back in about two days.

At this point, what can I even do?
I’m taking a shot at this but I really hope this isn’t the case for you, they did have the flooding in their holding lot. I wonder if yours may have been affected by that.

I only think that as I’ve never heard them revert all the way back to that status, so something big must have happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m taking a shot at this but I really hope this isn’t the case for you, they did have the flooding in their holding lot. I wonder if yours may have been affected by that.

I only think that as I’ve never heard them revert all the way back to that status, so something big must have happened.
The funny thing is, about three weeks ago I asked Dodge if my vehicle was impacted by the flooding and they said it was NOT. As of today, nobody knew anything other than the status change on the order. (Nobody meaning the dealership, Dodge customer support, and SRT customer support.) It just seems like Dodge doesn't care at all.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
The funny thing is, about three weeks ago I asked Dodge if my vehicle was impacted by the flooding and they said it was NOT. As of today, nobody knew anything other than the status change on the order. (Nobody meaning the dealership, Dodge customer support, and SRT customer support.) It just seems like Dodge doesn't care at all.
It’s hard to say who knows what was damaged in that flood other than Dodge. I highly doubt they’d know so fast to assist you, but this just seems logical for the timing.

I do hope that isn’t the case, so please keep us updated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s hard to say who knows what was damaged in that flood other than Dodge. I highly doubt they’d know so fast to assist you, but this just seems logical for the timing.

I do hope that isn’t the case, so please keep us updated!
A representative from SRT gave me a ring this morning with an update. They let me know that my original VIN that was scheduled to be delivered yesterday was replaced with a new VIN due to the global microchip shortage combined with COVID-19-related issues. I'm struggling to understand what that means. I asked to escalate, but the representative declined saying that's all the information anyone in all of Stellantis would have.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
200 Posts
That really sounds like [enter generic response] and blame [enter common issue].

I’m still feeling it’s flood related. That response isn’t logical as to why you get a new VIN and have to start all over.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
A representative from SRT gave me a ring this morning with an update. They let me know that my original VIN that was scheduled to be delivered yesterday was replaced with a new VIN due to the global microchip shortage combined with COVID-19-related issues. I'm struggling to understand what that means. I asked to escalate, but the representative declined saying that's all the information anyone in all of Stellantis would have.
Sounds like you will be getting a 2022 model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like you will be getting a 2022 model.
At this point, I'm not sure I'm getting a Dodge at all since I'm back to having no ETA at all after a nearly 9 month wait. Considering an Audi SQ7 or MB GLS63 AMG. I'm previously coming from a GL63 AMG and was hoping to move to something more American muscle and less luxury... I wish the RSQ8 came with a third row or they made an RSQ7.

861 - 880 of 913 Posts