Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my on-going search for the "perfect" D, I'm going back and forth on whether or not to get one with a sunroof.

I have *terrible* luck with sunroofs - wind noise, leaks, malfunctions.

How's the sunroof on the '14/'15, please?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I see some are having issues with it not closing flush with the roof line and mine has a slight lift to it but no issues whatsoever. I'm not a big fan of the pop up screen it's noisy and is just a big bug net.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No issues whatsoever on my '14 Limited. It has been through extremes of heat and cold, lots of snow and rain and stays tight. It is much better than the sunroof of my previous equipped cars, VW Passat wagons, in terms of wind noise (my '08 Durango didn't have it a sunroof and I missed it). Closing the fabric cover does noticeably lower the wind noise level as compared to when it is open. I wouldn't hesitate to get the sunroof,

·
Registered
928 Posts
I see some are having issues with it not closing flush with the roof line and mine has a slight lift to it but no issues whatsoever. I'm not a big fan of the pop up screen it's noisy and is just a big bug net.

hold that net down with your hand and you'll see its even noisier without it. It helps reduce the turbulence and noise pretty significantly.

I love it on ours and have it at least cracked any time I drive it. If I'm by myself (rarely) then I usually have it fully open, but I do that with all the cars I drive, I like having the roofs open.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use the "Vent" feature more so than the "all out open mode", so the Net noise is not a concern to me. I suspect full open mode is not really intended for 70+ mph.

Obviously, in the South, we have hot days in the summer. I tend to open the glass as I enter to let the heat out the help the AC.

No issues with alignment on my 2011 Citadel. If there were, I'm pretty certain there are adjustments designed in that can be used to correct it.

If you have issues with leaking, simply clean the weep holes that drain the channel that surrounds the glass. When open, poke your head up there and you will see what I'm referring to. Periodically, they need to be cleaned out to rid the gunk that gets in there.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have a 2014 R/T with the sunroof and I don't have any issues with it. I love it and I only wish that it was bigger like the one in the JGC.

If you are looking at getting an R/T with the Rallye package, you will want the sunroof because the inside will be way too dark without it. I feel like I am in a dungeon when I have the sunroof and the shade closed.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Just noticed this as well on passenger rear side of sunroof when I was cleaning the D for the first time the other day, haven't noticed any leak yet

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
The sunroof being raised slightly in the rear is by design, as I subsequently found out. I actually had them make it level, but they screwed it up and now have to have the rubber seal replaced

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I haven't had any issues in mine. I've driven with it vented and all the way open up to 65-70mph and it's not completely awful. I don't regularly drive at highway speeds with it all the way open if I'm trying to talk to someone because it gets a little noisy, especially with all the other windows down. Putting around town with the sunroof open and the windows down is nice and highway speeds with just the sunroof open is reasonable.

Plus, here in the not-so-great state of Louisiana, it's about 100*F and 100% humidity so windows up and the AC blasting is my preferred way to travel. However, with the windows tinted and cracked with in-channel vent visors and the sunroof vented it's somewhat bearable after being parked outside for a few hours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had an issue with mine the other night. Came back to the car with the sunroof in vent and started the car. Tried to open the sunroof all the way but it would not auto open. The buttons worked but only if you pushed them momentarily. The vent button would not function at all nor would the auto close. Came home, got on the forum and found the reset procedure which cured the problem. Seems that the sunroof lost memory on which position it was in or something. Other than that though, no leaks or problems.

2014 R/T

·
Registered
1 Posts
Atravis42- Where did you find the reset procedure?? I've taken my D into the dealership once before for your same issue, and now it just happened again. I would like to avoid another dealership visit if I can do it myself! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Forum search for - reset sunroof

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-discussions/20483-wonky-sunroof.html

The following procedure causes a previously calibrated and properly operating electronic motor module to relearn and update motor stall position and obstacle detection.

NOTE: If at any point during the following procedure the sunroof does not respond as expected, restart the procedure at Step 1.

Depress and hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch until the sliding glass panel is fully closed.
Continue to hold the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch. It will take at least 10 seconds for the initialization process to begin.
The sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the hard stop and then back to the tilt (VENT) position.
Release the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch, then depress and hold the CLOSE push button again within 5 seconds.
As the CLOSE push button of the sunroof switch is held, the sunroof sliding glass panel will move to the fully closed position, then to the fully opened position and then fully closed again.
Initialization is complete. Release the sunroof switch push button.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One Problem...my 2017 AWD DD GT 3.6 sunroof would not close. It would hit the pop up windscreen and stop. I then applied some of the synthetic lubricant, I found on other areas of the sun roof rails, to the frame of the sunscreen, and problem solved. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
172 Posts
My TOYOTA went in for non responsive sunroof controls under warranty. The technicians cleaned the tracks and added lubricant. I still had issues, I think they just did a quick fix. The problem was intermittent.
It is possible that the track had too much resistence and cleaning it improved the situation...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts