Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, K&N Cai, Corsa Exhaust
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at swapping my 5.7 with a bad lifter for a 6.4 from a JGCSRT or DDSRT. Anyone having lifter problems or any other engine problems?

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Good morning Tony:
There have been some 6.4 engines with lifter issues, but not as many as the 5.7s. Are you still under any warranty? If so, that's a pretty serious swap, and quite a big chunk O change vs $3.5-$4K for the cam/lifters repair, or $0 if it's under warranty.

Don

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don, it's a 14 with 155k on it, no warranty. I'm just going to swap the motor, because it is such a big job to do the cam and lifters. If I'm going through that much trouble, might as well turn it into a new toy.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Tony, if you are concerned about the lifters in the 6.4, through in a set of Johnson Lifters. Hydraulic Roller Lifters

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Ok on the '14 and 155K. Is your R/T AWD, or RWD? I can kind of see where you are coming from. Since what you want to do was a factory option (starting in 2018), we know you can do it. For me, the question would be how much "unbuilding" will have to be done before you can move forward? I would think that the engine harness may be different, and the engine controller as well. Is this D your current DD, or can it sit for a while while you work your way through the various changes that will go along with the 6.4L

Don

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done some research and communicated with Modern Muscle, Hemi Fever and Jay Green. it will be a straight forward swap. I will have to buy a Diablo tuner and flash the PCM. Its rwd and I am using my trans. The reason I am curious about the lifters is I don't want to have to tear this motor apart. I just want to install and go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How sure are you it's the lifter? I began hearing my lifter (hemi tick) a few months ago. Lifetime Warranty so I took it in. Turned out it was a broken exhaust manifold bolt.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already been through the broken exhaust manifold bolts. I know the difference. It's not a ticking noise it's a tapping noise. The lifters in the 6.4 might be the same as the 5.7 but definitely not the same in the hellcat motor. They hellcat is not in MDS motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts