Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the entire internet but cannot find specific advice on this.

2006 durango slt 4wd 4.7 new battery

I have parasitic drain problem. I have done the fuse pull check and have been unable to locate any circuit that drops drain significantly. Some drop a little but not what I would call significantly.
What I have noticed however is that the power sockets stay live even when the ignition switch is turned off and the key removed and the fuse is set to the lower setting which is supposed to turn those sockets off.

What I'm wondering now is if it could be a problem with the ignition switch or a relay and that the drain is cause by multiple circuits that should be off.

The car starts, runs and the engine turns off, all dash lights go out.

Any thoughts and advise as to how I can test this

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
Unless you are reading a draw at the outlet you have no problem there. You have numerous parasitic drains built into the electrical systems, every device with a memory presents a drain. Just because you have power available doesn't mean there is flow. Measure the amp flow to find your drains, but remember that the radio is a piranha and so is every other device that saves settings.

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts
Nigel:
What amount of current drain are you seeing? The 05 Grand Caravan my wife used to have had a module that monitored many circuits in the car. After so many minutes of non activity, those circuits were supposed to go to sleep. The module would "wake up" the needed circuits as the were needed.
I found an 800 ma draw that should have been less than 50ma when all were asleep. If the van was driven daily with a good battery, it would start when needed. If it sat for more than 24 hours, the battery would be too low to start.
That darned module ($600 worth) crapped out twice. Once under warranty, and once on our dime.
I was able to find a rebuilt one for half price, but it must be installed by a dealer as it has to be programmed so that the car will recognize it.
:0(
After parts and labor, it was still a $600 repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nigel:
What amount of current drain are you seeing? The 05 Grand Caravan my wife used to have had a module that monitored many circuits in the car. After so many minutes of non activity, those circuits were supposed to go to sleep. The module would "wake up" the needed circuits as the were needed.
I found an 800 ma draw that should have been less than 50ma when all were asleep. If the van was driven daily with a good battery, it would start when needed. If it sat for more than 24 hours, the battery would be too low to start.
That darned module ($600 worth) crapped out twice. Once under warranty, and once on our dime.
I was able to find a rebuilt one for half price, but it must be installed by a dealer as it has to be programmed so that the car will recognize it.
:0(
After parts and labor, it was still a $600 repair.
Drainage of 1.87 amps so 1870ma

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Unless you are reading a draw at the outlet you have no problem there. You have numerous parasitic drains built into the electrical systems, every device with a memory presents a drain. Just because you have power available doesn't mean there is flow. Measure the amp flow to find your drains, but remember that the radio is a piranha and so is every other device that saves settings.
MWeed, thanks for the reply

I was testing the amp drain, I noticed the power sockets were not powering off upon turning the ignition off when I used a socket splitter with an LED indicator, it remains on. What I'm wondering is if that circuit isn't turning off as it should then none of the others are and could it be due to a faulty ignition switch or key barrel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOPEFULLY SOLVED

It appears to be a worn out ignition switch/barrel. The power to the socket goes out if I carefully set the ignition key and watch the indicator light on the socket adapter go out before removing it. Any jiggling of the key causes the power to come back on. I tried it with the multimeter and watched the 1.8 am draw drop to 0.01 when I removed the key with the socket power off.
I'm guessing if the power to the sockets wasn't turning off then the power to many other things wasn't given that the draw was occurring without anything plugged in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts