Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey -- I know this is personal preference, but I find it really annoying that STEREO is always ON at either (a) start of vehicle, or (b) remote start of vehicle.

I contacted Chrysler and rep told me "there's no way to turn it off".

I can't believe an auto manufacturer would spend zillions of $$$ to develop and bring auto to market and think that everyone wants to have stereo on all the time.

Of course, the Chrysler rep stated "you'll have to turn down volume to ZERO every time you turn off vehicle."

This is so incredibly lame I can't stand it...

update: during winter I remote-start the durango frequently. the stereo turns ON with vehicle and starts playing music where I left off (at last engine off). If this is my iPod or USB token, the stereo is playing music with no one in vehicle for upwards of ten min. I'd like my USB-based music to be where I left off when I get back in car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Two possible solutions:

1) Isn't it possible to set the head unit input as a driver/keyfob preference like with cooled seats, seat position memory, and do forth? If do and since it appears you like the USB as a source, try making a custom CD with at least one blank track or with a extremely low volume track. Have the CD playing when you set your memory for the keyfob of choice. Assuming that works, if you are listening to your USB music and shut off the engine and exit. Try remote starting the car and I suspect it would begin playing the CD (with blank or low volume track). When you enter the vehicle, simply change the input to USB and it should start where it left off.

2) Another solution could get tricky and you might want to seek help from a local car audio shop if you aren't comfortable with electronics... But, you may have noticed when the remote start function is used, the Accessory function of the ignition is not switched on until you press the Start button upon entering the car. For example, the front 12VDC cigarette lighter outlet remains off until you press the Start button. It should be possible to switch the power source of the head unit from its current source to the Accessory function/circuit. Doing so would not turn the head unit on until after you press the Start button upon entering. The Head Unit will still play after ignition off and before a door is opened. But that timing is adjustable from the EVIC dash setup I believe - at least on my 2011 Citadel. Note, the rewire suggestion should be possible at the fuse box. If interested I can go into more detail in PM in efforts not to mud up this thread any more.

This device would greatly assist with the reversible mod at the fuse box:
image.jpg

I hope this helps get the gears turning.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If I turn mine off it stays off regardless of remote start or normal start. The air *usually* stays where I put it but not always...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a huge problem. I would probably go trade it in if I we you. It takes way too much energy to turn the volume down or switch it from media to radío.
its annoying that the radio is always on, it shouldnt be. No, im not going to sell the DD RT because of it, but its still a pretty stupid feature some moron incorporated into the design. Dodge should probably know that if they want to improve it. its a fair complaint, esp since there arent too many things to complain about with this rig !

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree with you in that it's fair to raise your concerns for input from members of the forum.

I hope the suggestions I made were along the lines of what is being asked about.

I suspect the second one would be the most transparent and effective solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you keep it on Bluetooth and have your Bluetooth turned off on your phone when you start the vehicle no radio or music will play.... not to mention I know Dodge and Chrysler are connected but calling the Dodge number that's in your Dodge handbook would probably be your best bet if you don't like the Bluetooth idea

·
Registered
736 Posts
Is this a 2014 and above problem? I have a power off button on my 2013.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts