Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum. I have a 2011 Dodge Durango 3.6 with 140000 miles. The other day the battery light came on. Was able to get it home before it died. Removed the alternator had it tested. It tested bad. Got a new one and put it in. Car was hard to start but finally got it started. Removed the jumper cables and car died. Sounds like the new alternator is not working. It will not jump off. Not sure why I am having a hard time jumping it off. Should I go ahead and get new battery? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Stinson:
I would have the battery load tested. It may be partially shorted, and caused the alternator to fail. If the alt went first, it may have done in the battery. When you get it running, see what kind of voltage reading you get across the battery. It should be in the 13.5-14 volt range. If it's more like 11-12.5, the alt is not charging.

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don Fox. My problem is I installed a new alternator but having a hard time jump starting it. I tried to start it with jumper cables from my Expedition to no success. Used my little lithium jump starter and got it started but died as soon as I disconnected it like the alternator is not putting out. I might have gotten a bad alternator from Advance Auto parts. Its a little weird.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Go with what Don said. If the battery is shot and if you can start the vehicle it's the battery. A bad battery can kill a new alternator, so be careful starting it with that battery.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
You can try putting the battery on a slow charger and see if you can get it back.

How old is the battery?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Stinson:
Based upon nothing more than its age, that battery needs to go! The average life of them is 4-5 years. Some go around the 3 year mark right after the warranty is up. By replacing it, you rule it out as an issue. This is like trying to get that last 5000 miles out of almost bald tires going into winter here in Ohio. It's just not worth all the trouble it can bring.

Don

·
Registered
663 Posts
Original battery? It's well past it's "Use By" Date! Get it replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I replaced the battery and removed the new alternator to get it tested just in case and reinstalled. Got the car started but still no charge to the battery. I am perplexed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'd say one of three things.

Bad Alternator....have you verified the output with a Volt Meter?
Bad Wiring/Connector
Bad PCM...PCM controls the output of the Alternator.

Look at Don's post #2 about checking the alternator output voltage.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
If your alternator tests good, then then you likely have a wiring issue, or the PCM is not managing it properly. New battery, and then wiring or PCM issue.

Don

·
Registered
663 Posts
Simply putting a voltmeter on it will tell you what direction to take next.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
Well I replaced the battery and removed the new alternator to get it tested just in case and reinstalled. Got the car started but still no charge to the battery. I am perplexed.
How do you know there is no charge to the battery?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Tom:
Is there any way he can check for the signal from the PCM to the alt that tells it what to do?

Stinson:
It's possible that the issue that started all of this (battery or alt) has damaged the PCM. I feel for you. This is a frustrating challenge for sure.

Don

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
I don't have access to 2011 info, so winging it from (not clearly written) 2014 info:

There should be a brown-gray wire at the alternator. It should be 0V with the ignition off, and it pulses to +12V with the ignition on and the PCM requesting charge. A test light to ground will show varying brightness, though I'd expect full brightness (full output) with the battery at 12V..

Also check the voltage at the alternator output post; there is a fusible link in the circuit to the battery that might be blown..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did check for an open circuit between the battery connection on the back of the alternator and the remote battery post at the left corner of the engine compartment. It checked good. No open circuit. I then started the car and checked to see if I was getting anything at the remote battery post. All I was getting was 12volts from the battery with no increase in volts when I increased the RPMs.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
What is the voltage at the alternator output post with the engine off as well as running?

The fusible link is between the alternator output post and the jump post.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
7 Participants
tgbraley
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing