Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So, I have been sitting on the alternator recall for a little while. Was just curious, how many of you have had this done? How long did it take? I know I should get it done but obviously time is always in short supply and our car is showing no signs of any problems. How big a deal is this really? I guess I should go ahead and get it scheduled for sometime, I mean after all it is a free alternator on a vehicle with 91,000 miles, can't beat that right? Anyway, was just curious how many had actually had it done since I hadn't seen threads on here about it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
believe they JUST now got parts in for the recall... its been on hold for probably the better part of 6 months now due to "no parts"

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
BU:
This recall also applies to '11-'14 Chargers. I had my '14 in on 2/14 for it. With parts now available, I did not want to risk being stranded or worse yet the fire/smoke that some have reported. On the Chargers, it takes 2ish hours because they will let the underhood area cool to avoid burns during the procedure. That may or may not apply to the Durango. I would get it done ASAP.

Don

·
Registered
235 Posts
Read the "T36 recall" thread that TomK linked to in it's entirety.

And get it done immediately. This recall has been out since July 2017 and just LAST WEEK parts became available to actually make proper repairs. Do not wait. When it fails, it can take out the battery, TIPM and/or PCM in the process, not to mention leaving you completely dead without warning. FCA has acknowledged and entertained replacing associated components under the umbrella of this recall, but they might get tired of doing that at some point. Get it in to be checked before it fails and save yourself the aggravation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ours burned up in early 2017, complete with smoke. I changed it out with a new 220A version from RockAuto.com. Chrysler refunded me the parts money, but not the overnight shipping to replace the alternator on a car that was disabled.... But they also gave me the core charge, so I wasn't complaining too loudly. Just got another recall notice on the alternator last week.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will get it scheduled soon, don't want to be left stranded or cause more problems. I didn't realize parts just now became available. I got the 2nd notice here a couple weeks ago, that must be why. I also got a brake booster recall, something about the shield possibly being on wrong. Guess I could have them do that too at same time. I bought ours used at a chevy dealer, so I will just have to use the closest dodge dealer, I think they are pretty good dealer overall.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well I'm pretty miffed. I went in today to have mine done, low and behold, just like I was afraid would happen...they told me my alternator is the "updated" version (it's the original alternator guys) and that no replacement was necessary. OK if you say so...if this thing dies on me I'm going back and throwing the alternator through the f*cking window of the dealership.

I would REALLY, REALLY like to hear from an FCA tech or FCA themselves - someone, anyone who can tell me what sets my 2011 alternator apart from another "prone to failure" alternator. The service manager at my dealer had no idea, just said they check the part # and if it corresponds with certain numbers I don't get a new alternator.

I KNEW this would happen. Damn thing better last me another 40,000 miles or it's gonna be a projectile.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm pretty miffed. I went in today to have mine done, low and behold, just like I was afraid would happen...they told me my alternator is the "updated" version (it's the original alternator guys) and that no replacement was necessary. OK if you say so...if this thing dies on me I'm going back and throwing the alternator through the f*cking window of the dealership.

I would REALLY, REALLY like to hear from an FCA tech or FCA themselves - someone, anyone who can tell me what sets my 2011 alternator apart from another "prone to failure" alternator. The service manager at my dealer had no idea, just said they check the part # and if it corresponds with certain numbers I don't get a new alternator.

I KNEW this would happen. Damn thing better last me another 40,000 miles or it's gonna be a projectile.
Yes that is very interesting. How can yours be an updated version when your vehicle is a 2011 and the recall covers 2011-13 vehicles. Also recall was not issued till 2017 so that makes no sense at all. Sorry Prospect.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes that is very interesting. How can yours be an updated version when your vehicle is a 2011 and the recall covers 2011-13 vehicles. Also recall was not issued till 2017 so that makes no sense at all. Sorry Prospect.
I mean this came down from FCA so I'll buy into it, just seems REALLY fishy. Like at first it was just the 220 amp ones on trucks with EHPS. Then it was the 180 amp ones, too. Then the 160 amp ones. Then it included the Hemi equipped trucks that don't even HAVE EHPS. How long until they figure out that "whoops, we should have replaced ALL of them"?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'll get stuck. Everything will flash, truck will shut down.m Should only take 1 days. It's all part, no labor in mine. I got a recall notice in mail 18 months after my alternator went. I showed bill from dealer ($900 odd) and they sent me a check. Stealership Shoemaker hammered me for a battery 200 bucks they reimburse that too.days. Nice find for over 1K. Didnt tell my wife... lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
I mean this came down from FCA so I'll buy into it, just seems REALLY fishy. Like at first it was just the 220 amp ones on trucks with EHPS. Then it was the 180 amp ones, too. Then the 160 amp ones. Then it included the Hemi equipped trucks that don't even HAVE EHPS. How long until they figure out that "whoops, we should have replaced ALL of them"?
Maybe different suppliers for the same part? Some where fine and others were not?

I called a week back and parts have been ordered by the dealer but not available yet, just want to do it before the summer as it gets too hot here and a failure then is really tough to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Read the "T36 recall" thread that TomK linked to in it's entirety.

And get it done immediately. This recall has been out since July 2017 and just LAST WEEK parts became available to actually make proper repairs. Do not wait. When it fails, it can take out the battery, TIPM and/or PCM in the process, not to mention leaving you completely dead without warning. FCA has acknowledged and entertained replacing associated components under the umbrella of this recall, but they might get tired of doing that at some point. Get it in to be checked before it fails and save yourself the aggravation.
The first recall was Oct 2014, another recall went out including more repair on 2017. Ive has 2 alternators replaced. Going in for a 3rd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings all! I just purchased a 2013 SXT with the V6 today at a multi line dealer. Got there at closing to pick it up, shook hands and we all said goodbye. I get literally 2 miles from the dealer and hear a chime and see a big red battery symbol. Drove it right back to the dealer and as I turned into the lot it died. Pushed it into a parking spot right in front of the door and got on the phone. Doing a quick google search led me here and now have a pretty good idea whats going on. I guess we will see in a day or 2 what they say. Luckily they warranty it as a CPO plus I took out another warranty that covers everything so it should get kinda fixed if FCA gets their crap together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone actually have the alternator go out on them first? Mine almost started my car on fire. It took out the PCM (twice), TIPM, starter & harness...but they "can't relate" the starter & harness to the alternator, even though the harness connects the alternator to the starter. Shortly after I got my durango back, the battery went out, and now I'm losing light bulbs left & right (headlights multiple times, tail light, fog light). I'm thinking the alternator sent a voltage spike throughout my whole electrical system. But I don't know how to get Chrysler to agree with this and I can't get rid of this thing...I still owe on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 dodge durango left me stranded on the side of the road in the freezing cold with my kids in the car.. The alternator had gone.. lights flashing, the whole shabang. Had my mechanic do the work for $700 then I read about this recall... only it DOESNT APPLY TO MY F*CKING CAR! How is that possible? It literally happened to me! It fried my flipping3 year old battery too apparently. Who is making these decisions to determine who the recalls apply to?! UGH!

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
The recall is based on VINs that they know had the faulty alternators installed on. Your VIN must not be on the list. If you search for and find the actual recall notice there should be definitive information in it that explains how yours is not included. Just because you have a 2011 doesn't mean it's within the known VIN list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The recall is based on VINs that they know had the faulty alternators installed on. Your VIN must not be on the list. If you search for and find the actual recall notice there should be definitive information in it that explains how yours is not included. Just because you have a 2011 doesn't mean it's within the known VIN list.
Ok. Well it's a known problem and the thing failed on me so I think they need to reassess their list...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts