Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting on my factory tires at 20k miles, had them rotated again and after about 500 miles tires look like pictures. Working on getting new tires but not sure when. Thinking about alignment to make it a few more miles before new tires. Wondering if I should get the alignment now?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Grille
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
57 Posts
You need tires now, considering the wear bar indicators on the right tire and the smooth inside edges on both tires. Have the alignment done after the new tires are mounted. I would have the shop that performs the alignment check the camber settings as the old tires are wearing on the inside edges.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
You need tires now, considering the wear bar indicators on the right tire and the smooth inside edges on both tires. Have the alignment done after the new tires are mounted. I would have the shop that performs the alignment check the camber settings as the old tires are wearing on the inside edges.
You are right about the camber. Looking at the right tire you can easily see the top of the tire is leaning in, so the bottom inside of the tire takes 70 percent of the contact and load. Crazy both sides are like that. I suspect a previous alignment that was done incorrectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right about the camber. Looking at the right tire you can easily see the top of the tire is leaning in, so the bottom inside of the tire takes 70 percent of the contact and load. Crazy both sides are like that. I suspect a previous alignment that was done incorrectly.
All 4 tires have wear like this. Had a rotation about 500 miles ago at a dealer, don’t recall an alignment, may have been on the invoice.

·
Registered
2021 Durango RT , blue shade pearl, with TnG
53 Posts
What did the tires look like 500 miles ago? I would have thought there would have been a need to get new rubber then.
Nice Durango, looks to be a twin to mine.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
You need to rotate the tires every 10k otherwise they will wear terribly.
20K with one rotation?

FYI just because it came from the factory does not mean the alignment is right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
20K with one rotation?

Owners manual states at every oil change or at first sign of irregular wear. Personally I think 10,000 miles is too long, but corresponds to the oil change interval and makes tire rotations convenient. When I worked for Goodyear, the recommendation was every 6,000 miles and that is what I follow.

The negative camber on the TNG alignment set up is quite noticeable, front and rear. I agree with vice-white that the factory spec or how the alignment was set at the factory may not be ideal for the best tire life. I will be monitoring my OEM tires closely for irregular wear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always get an alignment before delivery of any new vehicle...Esp a dodge with the lack of attention to the easy stuff like exhaust tips bumper covers ect...
20K with one rotation?

yeah this was my first new vehicle ever, I was just overexcited. This was the second rotation, first one went 10k this one was 9k. Below was picture at 15k, can’t really see but it was an even wear just was wearing faster then I thought (first new vehicle pissed about how fast they wore).
Tire Automotive tire Wood Organism Gesture

P.S. wife was mad as hell after spending so much on a vehicle and that I was looking for new tires at 15k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did the tires look like 500 miles ago? I would have thought there would have been a need to get new rubber then.
Nice Durango, looks to be a twin to mine.
Was looking at new tires. According to dealership where rotation was done rubber was getting to red.
Thanks, love the Durango wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s great but realizing the little quirks I never did when I was getting used vehicles before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah this was my first new vehicle ever, I was just overexcited. This was the second rotation, first one went 10k this one was 9k. Below was picture at 15k, can’t really see but it was an even wear just was wearing faster then I thought (first new vehicle pissed about how fast they wore).

P.S. wife was mad as hell after spending so much on a vehicle and that I was looking for new tires at 15k.
Can’t say that I blame your wife. I swore by Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires on my ’12 DDRT. But with the fact the TNG has a spare and the $540+ per tire price tag for the Scorpion Verde run flats (not including mount and balance), I will be moving to another brand when the time comes for replacement on my TNG. Many members on the forum recommend Continental EXTREME CONTACT DWS06 PLUS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts