Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My only worry was how effective it would be to clean off engine oil which is a lot heavier oil than the k&n filter oil used on them. But I’ll probably give it a go, still money out of my pocket since I don’t have the kit, the filter was only a few months old
I would just check the filter now, and also after several hundred miles.just to make sure it doesn't get motor oil on it again. Reason: It may have originally been coated with regular oil on purpose.
As to it's thickness: The only harm straight SAE 5W20 would do, is to fuel economy and emissions...And most of those emissions, the O2 sensor and cat converter could easily swallow. Not sure what K&N uses in their kits, but I know what I smelled in the pits of the local drag strip... I walked by a guy who was spraying a red juice from a generic spray bottle on his K&N..It looked and smelled like ."Marvel Mystery Oil" to me. I don't know for sure, because i didn't ask --- but it sure brought back old memories of youth. ;)
And I realize this is apples/oranges here, but a bit of history trivia: Before the advent of disposable paper filters, most (even lawnmower) engines use "oil bath" type.filters, in canisters, and that's something else Dodge brought back (that I'm not very happy about, btw). Many of the reusable elements back then were similar to today's K&N's, and were cleaned in solvent (gas usually), allowed to dry, and usually re-wetted in standard motor oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Appreciate the helpful info. Because I’m getting a volant intake soon anyways, I might not bother trying to clean it all up. It was the principle of it all that they would do this to my filter and not take any responsibility for it afterwards. Just a crappy way to run a service department.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if you have the 5.7, or the V6, Didn’t read all the comments, but if you notice it after an oil change...And you have the Hemi...the grease monkey that changed you oil poured the oil too fast, and it backed up in the filler tube, the filler tube has the vent hose that runs to the top of the air filter housing. So the oil backs up, fills the filler tube, pours down the vent hose and on to the air filter. I just replaced my AEM dry flow filter because it was so oil soaked that I could no longer get it clean.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure if you have the 5.7, or the V6, Didn’t read all the comments, but if you notice it after an oil change...And you have the Hemi...the grease monkey that changed you oil poured the oil too fast, and it backed up in the filler tube, the filler tube has the vent hose that runs to the top of the air filter housing. So the oil backs up, fills the filler tube, pours down the vent hose and on to the air filter. I just replaced my AEM dry flow filter because it was so oil soaked that I could no longer get it clean.
Yup, I’m positive that’s what happened to me here but the service manager has “never ever heard of that happening before”

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup, I’m positive that’s what happened to me here but the service manager has “never ever heard of that happening before”

That just might be a sign that it's time to find another dealer for service. Because this problem has been discussed for a long time

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That just might be a sign that it's time to find another dealer for service. Because this problem has been discussed for a long time

yup, trust me, it’s not going back there anymore. Going back to my old dealer, bit farther away but their service manager there is awesome. Lesson learned

·
Registered
133 Posts
Glad to read the info in here. I had no idea this was a problem. I changed oil in our Hemi couple weeks back and I better check if I poured the oil in too fast.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts