Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell could this be? First I have the coolant smell after it’s fully warmed up and driven a bit harder. Now the air filter is covered in oil and fuel? Even oil in the bottom of the air intake. The strong smell Of gas on the air filter is concerning to me

F9158BD7-592D-4080-B123-FFD676878AD9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Sure looks like a headgasket failure to me too....especially that milky oil residue which can only occur with oil mixing with coolant.
Hope we are wrong!...but would explain your coolant smell from the exhaust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the oil is actually nice and clean, it was a real oil change and it’s still nice and yellow

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
The breather tube off the side of the oil fill will get backflow if oil is poured in too fast and soak the air filter.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ahhh, well I forgot the breather tube goes into the air filter box.
You have a catch can on?
I'd check operation of the PCV valve on the intake..you can remove and check it.
I assume you have been only taking short trips and in cold temps?
So we know your airbox goop is condensation mixing with oil vapors and not a blown head gasket...question is why there is so much?

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Do away with the breather tube and use a K&N crankcase filter/breather at the oil fill.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sitting at the dealership now as they look into it and diagnose it. At the very least, they owe me a new k&n filter lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should be able to wash and re-oil the filter being a K&N.
I am aware, my worry is that engine oil is a lot heavier of an oil compared to the k&n filter oil. So I was worried how easy it would be to completely clean that off without ruining the filter itself

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update from yesterday, had to rush out to work after I got home so didn’t have time to update

in short: I’m done with that dealer. They wouldn’t fully admit fault so they didn’t have to pay for my new k&n filter

So they said even though they couldn’t see anything wrong with the pcv, they replaced it anyways and called it warranty. And warranty work doesn’t cover aftermarket parts

“So you’re telling me it’s just a coincidence that my whole air intake was saturated in brand new engine oil and you couldn’t find an issue with the pcv”

“Yea sorry sir, we can’t know for sure it was our wrong doing, so there’s no way we can cover that filter damage”

Thank god I have another dealer about the same distance away in the other direction that was also great to deal with. I just gave this dealer a chance since I bought my vehicle from them.

Never again. Going back to my previous dealership going forward, the service manager there is great, I called them as soon as I left this place to make sure he’s still the manager there lol.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The K&N Isn't damaged my man. You can buy the cleaning kit, clean it and re oil as designed. Then you will be good to go.
Sorry this happened I'd be pretty upset.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The K&N Isn't damaged my man. You can buy the cleaning kit, clean it and re oil as designed. Then you will be good to go.
Sorry this happened I'd be pretty upset.
My only worry was how effective it would be to clean off engine oil which is a lot heavier oil than the k&n filter oil used on them. But I’ll probably give it a go, still money out of my pocket since I don’t have the kit, the filter was only a few months old

·
Registered
447 Posts
My only worry was how effective it would be to clean off engine oil which is a lot heavier oil than the k&n filter oil used on them. But I’ll probably give it a go, still money out of my pocket since I don’t have the kit, the filter was only a few months old
I think I have a spare K&N. Send me a PM, and if I can find it, it’s yours for the cost of shipping. It’s probably got a thousand miles on it max before I replaced it with a Mopar CAI.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts