Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air conditioner works fine with the switch on. Snow flake lit.

Air conditioner compressor cycles on for about seven seconds and then off for about seven seconds without the snow flake lit. This goes on for at least 20 minutes at idle. Engine can be warm or cold when started. I can hear compressor cycling when speed up to about 25 or 30 mph then road noise is to high.

Does anyone know how to stop this cycling without pulling the electrical plug on the magnetic clutch?

Used to have an 1970 Dodge Monoco with auto temp control. It would cycle the compressor for about one minute when the engine was started cold. But not from warm engine. Was advised that was done to keep oil circulating to avoid seals leak.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

·
Super Moderator
12,546 Posts
From the 07 Durango Owner's Manual (I imagine the Aspen is the same):
NOTE: The air conditioning compressor operates in
both Mix and Defrost or a blend of these modes, even if
the A/C button has not been pressed. This dehumidifies
the air to help dry the windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skippy 426 and tomk,

Have not paid any attention to operating mode. Will check.

tomk, thanks for reference from Durango manual. I checked Aspen manual. Shows snow flake must be lit to defog (dehumidify) windshield.

OK tomk. Stand by. Just verified that manual shows snow flake must be lit. Now for whatever???:-? Will leave above as already written.

After verified snow flake lit, stated reading more as getting interested. About 10 pages back, under "Recirculate Switch", found the EXACT wording that you provided. Need to recheck manual after mind cools down. Looks like manual may have combined info from auto temp control and manual control. Now must re-read and digest what is being said. Sending response as digest may take some time.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yes, but even if you don't press it it'll cycle the compressor automatically. They know 98% of people would never turn the ac on in winter to defrost the windshield, so they programmed it to operate automatically

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Skippy426
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing