Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to sell my 2016 R/T (with Technology Package) and the remote start is not working, which I suspect might be due to a degraded factory battery (6 years, 3 months old now). Key fobs work fine, fuel tank is full, engine starts fine via the dashboard button, etc. Is the more expensive AGM battery required or can I save a few bucks with a standard battery?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,839 Posts
I don't know if that will solve the remote start problem or not since everything else works. Maybe try another good battery of some kind just to test it? I still have the battery that came in my '16 and I've never checked what it is or it's age in the two years we've had it. I need a new battery for my Charger that I'm going to sell so I think I'll put it in the DD instead and the good battery from it goes in the Charger as they are both H7 AGMs.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,448 Posts
The key is whatever battery you put in to that compartment needs to be vented like stock. A regular sealed lead acid battery isn't going to cut it unless it has the venting system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know my remote start will not work if I have any pending OBD codes. Have you ran a scanner on your vehicle to see if anything is logged? Sometimes the check engine light will not illuminate but you will still have an unresolved code.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know my remote start will not work if I have any pending OBD codes. Have you ran a scanner on your vehicle to see if anything is logged? Sometimes the check engine light will not illuminate but you will still have an unresolved code.
Hmm, that I have not tried. I don't have a CEL but I'll do a scan to see if anything comes up. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,839 Posts
Just slide it all the way forward and tilt the seatback forward.

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Battery pricing, like everything else, is not what we are used to. It has been mentioned here many times, that there are 3-4 manufacturers of vehicle batteries here in the US. Vendors have a battery made to their spec, with the trade name they want on it.
Although I am an AZ battery fan, the last couple purchased here, are the Walmart Everstart Maxx. When AZ wants $150 and up, and the EM can be had around $100, with the same warranty, the EM is my choice. As long as your choice is equipped with the vent, I think you will be fine. At one point (I think), AZ was price matching WM, but not any more.

I just replaced a 16 year old (not a typo) Everstart Maxx 75N batter on my c.1995 Grasshopper mower. AZ wanted $150+ for their equivalent battery. The new EM was $112 out the door, same 3 year warranty. When I showed the guys at the counter the original receipt on the little pouch stuck to the old battery, they both said WOW, and added that I should not expect the same from the new one.

Don

Attachments

Reactions: Smitty73

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just replaced a 16 year old (not a typo) Everstart Maxx 75N batter on my c.1995 Grasshopper mower. AZ wanted $150+ for their equivalent battery. The new EM was $112 out the door, same 3 year warranty. When I showed the guys at the counter the original receipt on the little pouch stuck to the old battery, they both said WOW, and added that I should not expect the same from the new one.

Don
Darn... it looks like you just missed that free replacement by 13 years:D That indeed was a battery of the gods.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Back in the day when interstate batteries were made by interstate batteries, they were the best.
Douglass batteries were pretty good to as they were one of the 1st glassmat batteries on the market.
All way way back in the day.

Reactions: Chase300

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting ready to sell my 2016 R/T (with Technology Package) and the remote start is not working, which I suspect might be due to a degraded factory battery (6 years, 3 months old now). Key fobs work fine, fuel tank is full, engine starts fine via the dashboard button, etc. Is the more expensive AGM battery required or can I save a few bucks with a standard battery?
The AGM battery is required because it’s located in the passenger area. Other batteries off gas and are not good for humans to breath.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Would hate to save a couple of bucks, getting the wrong type and then get stuck with the auto.

We got our Durango's about the same time, sucks that you are moving on, but to each thier own. I got 57K miles on mine, still loving it!

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
@ Unsub:
Good point re the gasses. My thinking was that any battery with the vent port would do, but your comment brings it together. My '14 Charger R/T has the battery in the trunk, vented of course. I think I paid $170ish for it from AZ.

Don

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,254 Posts
The Mopar battery in my 14 lasted about 8 years. Just replaced it 2 months ago. My remote start stopped working as well. The new battery fixed it. I got a Duracell from Sam’s for $189. Works great but it was an inch longer. I had to cut the hold down bracket and turn it 180 degrees to get it to work. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,448 Posts
If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does....check there.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
The Mopar battery in my 14 lasted about 8 years. Just replaced it 2 months ago. My remote start stopped working as well. The new battery fixed it. I got a Duracell from Sam’s for $189. Works great but it was an inch longer. I had to cut the hold down bracket and turn it 180 degrees to get it to work. Good luck.
Sounds like you ended up with the larger H8 battery which does require a smaller hold down bracket. I went with that size battery too but bought the factory hold down bracket...its only like $3.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts