Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this brief: Toyota owner forever, hoping to make the switch to Dodge Durango. Live in Poconos region of PA. No plans for off-roading or hauling. Want AWD for winter weather conditions. Currently have 2000 Toyota Sienna LE (266K), had 2004 Toyota Camry XLE (180K) that my teen daughter totaled in late October. Must be budget-conscious; recently widowed with four kids ages 19-7. Doing this all on my own; been researching vehicles for 6 weeks; done with minivan road handling and lack of driving enjoyment; after extensive research based on my wants and needs, all roads leading to Durango!

Current prospect: 2014 SXT AWD at local "highly-rated" dealership. Listed 106 days ago. 13,380 miles, $26,994. Dealership offering "Abeloff Advantage": 10 yr, 100,000 mile Powertrain Certified; and "Abeloff Advantage Rewards Program": maintenance for 2 yrs, Lifetime PA State safety inspections.

According to iSeeCars, price is currently $608 below market; here's price history:
12/12: 26,994
12/03: 27,987
11/16: 26,840
11/11: 25,963
8/29: 27,990

Carfax indicates personal vehicle, regular oil changes, no accidents or recalls reported. Vehicle sold on 3/16/15; vehicle offered for sale 8/25/16 w/ 13,142 miles; on 8/27/16 "Accessories repaired/replaced" (?) during pre-delivery inspection & offered for sale w/ 13,378 miles as Dodge CPO; 11/29/16 sold at auction to Abeloff Buick GMC dealership.

Haven't seen car in person yet. Haven't personally bought a car in 17 years. Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cant figure out how to edit my post: Just want to add I have my mechanic and local body shop willing to inspect any car I'm considering.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sounds like you have covered everything. Anytime you buy used you are taking a chance, but you are asking all the right questions to mitigate that risk. having your mechanics look at it is always a good idea. Based on just the information you provided above, I would feel comfortable purchasing it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like you have covered everything. Anytime you buy used you are taking a chance, but you are asking all the right questions to mitigate that risk. having your mechanics look at it is always a good idea. Based on just the information you provided above, I would feel comfortable purchasing it.
Thank you for responding! I appreciate your input. This may not be something you or others are capable/comfortable answering, but I'll throw it out there: If I end up really liking the car after test-driving, do I try to get an even better price? The two things I don't love about the car on paper are the color (red), and the fact that it's the base model SXT. It's end of the year sales on new Durangos of course, and I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing a new vehicle for maybe another 3-4K? If I had another 10K to play with I'd look towards new Limited in the blue color; new 2016 is totally fine with me. But if I'm gonna stick with base model, perhaps smarter to stretch for new. Only incentive that really applies for me is reduced price incentive since I plan to pay for it outright as opposed to financing or leasing. Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Thank you for responding! I appreciate your input. This may not be something you or others are capable/comfortable answering, but I'll throw it out there: If I end up really liking the car after test-driving, do I try to get an even better price? The two things I don't love about the car on paper are the color (red), and the fact that it's the base model SXT. It's end of the year sales on new Durangos of course, and I'm wondering if it's worth pursuing a new vehicle for maybe another 3-4K? If I had another 10K to play with I'd look towards new Limited in the blue color; new 2016 is totally fine with me. But if I'm gonna stick with base model, perhaps smarter to stretch for new. Only incentive that really applies for me is reduced price incentive since I plan to pay for it outright as opposed to financing or leasing. Any opinions?
For 3,000-4,000 more I'd buy a new one myself.

Though to be honest, I get the appeal of no payment. But you could probably take the money you were going to buy this one with, use it as a down payment, and then get a stupid low interest or even 0% loan and have a stupid cheap monthly payment on the vehicle you really want. $10,000 loan and 0% interest is $167 a month for 60 months. That's what I would do myself in that position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
The price is on the high side. Even with it being cpo. I paid 24k for my 2014 sxt plus rallye with 23k on it over a year ago. Blue book on mine is about 22 right now with 42k.

I'd go with all your info and make an offer of about 23-24. You can do it online. Tell them you already have the money/financing. All they can say is no. Its been sitting for a 1/3 of a year so they need to move it.

If they reject the offer tell them it's still open for debate and see what they come back with. I guarantee you'll get a call in a few days with a slightly better one.

Don't let them ask about your trade, try to hook you up with their finance guy etc. Get a set price on the truck first in writing before you even step in the door. If they pull the people are looking at it game tell them good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Agree, the price seems a little on the high side. 24-25 seems a little more reasonable to me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your responses! After six weeks deliberating which vehicle to buy and another two weeks losing my marbles over the search for a decent used Durango that meets all my preferences, I've decided to pull the trigger and go for new! Yet the thought of going through the arduous task of orchestrating the purchase is making my stomach turn. I can think of precious few things in life that I detest more than dealing with car salespeople and car dealerships.

I am intrigued by the idea of getting the 2017 GT (the renamed Limited?) with a hefty down payment as you suggested. My credit worthiness is awful however; my late husband was the sole income provider and I have yet to return to the workforce. I have the funds to buy outright (to a point; my 2000 Sienna with 266k miles will have to be replaced sooner than later and need to be prepared for that) but not sure how I would achieve financing without being currently employed. I also have no car to trade in since my daughter totaled our 2004 Camry in October. We have a 2003 Camry with a blown engine sitting in the driveway, but I doubt that would qualify for trading in unless I had it towed to the dealership lol.

Perhaps a new 2017 SXT off the lot is a better option? Although if I'm gonna go new, I'd kinda like to be in the driver's seat (no pun intended) of the deal, ya know? Then again, maybe I should be talking to a financial advisor as opposed to a message board? LOL Call me crazy, or just very skeptical and suspicious by nature, but I'm not necessarily convinced I'd trust a financial planner or even an attorney over complete strangers who love their Durangos and love talking about them!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you haven't made the purchase yet and you want to avoid all the little things the dealership adds on at closing on a new car, go with the 2014 you were looking at.
A year down the road swap out the u connect for the latest with apple and Android integration.
SXT is fine except for the base u connect and no dial for terrain/locking differential.
BTW I have a 2015 SXT AWD with the convenience package aka heated seats, reverse view cam.
Good luck and hope you also find a good job.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This reply is a tad overdue; by three years. My apologies. But I do know when I contribute worthy advice to a thread, it’s always nice when the OP posts the outcome; it satisfies a curiosity, though I don’t lose any sleep if it remains a mystery!

Anyhow, the end result, for anyone who’s curious, is that I purchased a beautiful 2017 DDGT, granite/black, with blacktop package, dvd system for the kids, safety package, etc.

I knew the smart method to employ to make the purchase as painless as possible from smart people who’ve done it right and talked about it, such as one of the posters above. I had the deal nailed down before I even stepped foot in the lot. Only hitch is to get it, I did end up financing a portion (I “miraculously” passed the credit check despite lousy credit at the time) and have two years left this month. (Horrible interest rate that I should’ve refinanced a year ago.)

Funny part of the story is I was so determined to avoid walking into any dealership (I was even avoiding phone calls to keep them from getting at me haha) until the deal was set in stone, that I agreed to buy the car sight unseen, and here’s the best part: I’d never once test-driven a Durango. Probably one of the most reckless (brave?) things I’ve ever done that could’ve easily gone in either direction, good or bad.

Long story short, good outcome. (Also made sure to buy it at a top-rated dealership in my area.) Love the Durango. Love to drive it, love the way it looks, love the engine, love the comfort and roominess, love the surprisingly not sucky gas mileage.

Only cons are I can’t parallel park the dang thing after 3 years, and I was the queen of parallel parking with my minivan (and every other car preceding that) and this totally frustrates me. I think I need to practice at the DMV like someone taking their first driving test!

And other con has nothing to do with the car itself: Crap tires. Twice. Goodyear Fortera. I certainly didn’t have good luck with them. I stupidly got them a second time even though the first ones were shot out at 25K miles. Second ones now shot out at nearly 22K miles. Never again. Which leads me to the new thread I’m about to start ...What are good tires to get!

Oh and many thanks to all who replied three years ago, the advice was very helpful! Durango owners are a smart bunch, obviously! ?

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Hi Fifi:
Thanks so much for returning to let us know that you had joined the Durango family. Having been around here quite a while, I seem to have missed your original post form 3 years ago which surprises me. I had never owned an SUV until '03 when I bought my gently used '01 Durango. I was kind of hooked from then on. We like to think we have a pretty decent group/crew here as opposed to some of the forums around the 'net.
If I may, belated condolences on the passing of your husband.

Don

Reactions: FifiDanon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much Don. I appreciate your reply and your condolences. Happy to have become a part of the Durango family. And agree about quality of this forum in comparison to so many others out there!

Any thoughts about decent all-season tires for Poconos region? I’m thankfully not in the higher elevations, which helps. Meant to start a thread for this query last night, but fell asleep before I had the chance. Gonna do that now!

Assuming you’ve moved on from your original Durango; if you care to share, what do you drive now? Happy?

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Fifi:
You will find that asking about tires and brand of oil is like starting an avalanche. You will get lots of feedback. You can search, you will find that both topics have plenty of threads.

I kept my '01 for 6 years, and then sold it in 2009 right as the economy and fuel prices were going south. I regret the sale to this day, but I ended up with an '04 SLT less than a year later. It's not quite as loaded as the '01 was, but it does have the Hemi. Would you believe the mpg is the same for the '04 Hemi as it was for the '01 SLT4.7L? The '04 has 100 more hp! Other than being a bit rusty since it has lived it's entire life on Ohio, it has been a very dependable ride.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts