Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When towing my travel trailer through the mountains I noticed my engine oil temps getting up to about 260F. Fast forward a couple weeks after being home and I hear the engine ticking more loudly than usual. I check the oil and it's over a quart low. I'm not sure if there is a connection between oil temps and burning oil (using full synthetic), but until this trip our Durango hasn't used any oil between changes. Would an engine oil cooler help things out? I notice Mopar has an engine oil cooler for a Durango. Anyone add this to their RT?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm also looking to add an oil cooler toy 2015 r/t. I've added oil coolers on my other cars in the past with good results, so I'm expecting good results on Durango as well. Looking at thermostatic valve controlled kits. While a little more in cost compared to oil/water units, they work much better for everyday driving.
I was going to add a trans cooler as well but recently got a cast trans pan with added capacity (2 quarts) and now the trans temps are consistently 30-40 cooler than engine oil temps, where as before they were very close. Usually engine oil is in the high 190's to low 200's, depending on how I'm driving at the moment.
Now it's time to cool the engine oil and later possibly upgrade the radiator.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
When towing my travel trailer through the mountains I noticed my engine oil temps getting up to about 260F. Fast forward a couple weeks after being home and I hear the engine ticking more loudly than usual. I check the oil and it's over a quart low. I'm not sure if there is a connection between oil temps and burning oil (using full synthetic), but until this trip our Durango hasn't used any oil between changes. Would an engine oil cooler help things out? I notice Mopar has an engine oil cooler for a Durango. Anyone add this to their RT?
The 5.7 comes standard with that oil cooler, you already have it

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
The 5.7 comes standard with that oil cooler, you already have it
Really? As of when?
It was standard on the 6.4L and 5.7L SSV vehicles in the past but never on any other 5.7L trim.

To add you need to swap out the water pump to either the OEM 6.4L pump or use the Gates aftermarket pump along with the coolant hoses and the oil cooler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts