Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing my '99 D with a '14 (about time, right :clap:) and I have a few questions on the features.

I see that on the Adaptive Cruise Control that you can set the "follow" distance between you and the car in front of you in three different increments. How close is the shortest distance? When you use it is the gap between you and the car in front large enough that you find other cars cutting in front of you? Also, if it is set to cruise at 70MPH and you encounter a car in your lane driving at 55MPH the D will slow to 55MPH, if you change lanes or the car in front changes lanes does the D automatically resume 70MPH if the lane is clear?

I have the blind spot detection feature in my Acura TL and it just lights up an indicator on the door whenever there is a car in the lane on either side of my car. If I put on my turn signal with a car in the lane next to me the indicator blinks rapidly. Is this how it works in the "D"? I just want to make sure it doesn't have an annoying alarm or chime. If it does have an audible warning does it only sound when you turn your blinker on (with another car next to you) is there any indication when your blinker is off (like in my TL)?

Lastly, my 1999 D 4x4 has "Part Time" four wheel drive which means it can only be used on surfaces that allow the wheels to slip (snow, sand, mud etc) or you risk damaging the transfer case. This is a real PITA when driving in mixed conditions and really limits how often I use 4x4. I read all of the information on Dodge's site and they claim on the R/T model that it is a "2 speed On Demand transfer case" WTF? Does this mean it automatically engages 4WD when the front tires are slipping or is "on demand" when I demand it with a selector? Can you select a four wheel mode if you are driving on dry pavement? I like the peace of mind of four driven wheels when driving in any kind of winter/wet weather and may opt for the Citadel if the R/T is lame part-time 4x4). I also like to use it on the boat ramp which is usually super slippery at the bottom but dry at the top.

I have searched the forum (and Google) for these answers and have not been able to find anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

2013 Acura TL SH-AWD
2004 Acura TL
2004 BMW 330i
1999 5.9l 4x4 Durango (runs great, looks like it's been to hell and back)

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
I am considering replacing my '99 D with a '14 (about time, right :clap:) and I have a few questions on the features.

I see that on the Adaptive Cruise Control that you can set the "follow" distance between you and the car in front of you in three different increments. How close is the shortest distance? When you use it is the gap between you and the car in front large enough that you find other cars cutting in front of you? Also, if it is set to cruise at 70MPH and you encounter a car in your lane driving at 55MPH the D will slow to 55MPH, if you change lanes or the car in front changes lanes does the D automatically resume 70MPH if the lane is clear?
(responding from my experience with the GC system, which is the same)
The closest setting is uncomfortably close for me at highway speeds. I think there are 4 distance settings IIRC, I usually keep it at 3 or 4 on the highway.. I don't find people trying to cut in any more than I do when I'm driving manually (some jerks will cut in if you leave 4 air molecules between you and the car in front). Automatically resumes when the lane clears up.

I have the blind spot detection feature in my Acura TL and it just lights up an indicator on the door whenever there is a car in the lane on either side of my car. If I put on my turn signal with a car in the lane next to me the indicator blinks rapidly. Is this how it works in the "D"? I just want to make sure it doesn't have an annoying alarm or chime. If it does have an audible warning does it only sound when you turn your blinker on (with another car next to you) is there any indication when your blinker is off (like in my TL)?
Triangle lights up when there is someone in your blind spot, beeps when you put on the turn signal (though this beep may be an option, I never looked)

Lastly, my 1999 D 4x4 has "Part Time" four wheel drive [...]
I don't know exactly what 4wd system the various durangos use, so I'll let someone else chime in. I suspect it is a variable power distribution AWD system, but dunno.

...tom

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
The AWD is fully automatic in the D. The low range on the transfer case is there in case you ever need real Grunt and pulling power at low speeds eg.towing a heavy boat up a ramp out of the water. 70% of us will never use this feature.
Good luck with your choice
STEVE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AWD is fully automatic in the D. The low range on the transfer case is there in case you ever need real Grunt and pulling power at low speeds eg.towing a heavy boat up a ramp out of the water. 70% of us will never use this feature.
Good luck with your choice
STEVE
Thanks for both responses. I actually found the owners manual last night and found most of my answers in there. I know, RTFOM!! but since I don't actually own the D yet I wasn't sure if I could download it. The 4X4 system in the Hemi is AWD but defaults to RWD and automatically applies power to the front wheels when needed. I think it said 4 low locks the front and rear and should only be used on a slippery surface (just like the 4x4 in my '99 D).

The adaptive cruise control question on the following distance was not in the owners manual so I really appreciate the info. If the shortest "gap" between cars is too close for you then I have to assume that I will be able to find a setting (tailgate mode anyone?) that I am comfortable driving with.

The technology in this truck is simply amazing, even compared to my 2013 Acura TL. The TL has most of the features of the D but adds the dozens (?) memory settings that can be stored with each key fob, rain sensing wipers and of course all of the apps with the Uconnect. The TL pretty much saves your seat and side mirror positions. The D stores so much more!

I am really looking forward to test driving and hopefully buying a loaded R/T or Citadel in the next few weeks.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
The AWD system is Rear wheel Biased, That means that ALMOST all the power goes to the rear. When a slip is detected that changes to split that ration differently
Its quite sophisticated indeed.
Enjoy your new D
STEVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts