Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Durango SLT 4x4
16 Posts
I disagree that this could be a broken or weak valve return spring. If that were the case, the engine wouldn't "run great" when cold but would present symptoms immediately upon startup.
A vacuum gauge would easily detect a valve sealing problem.
This failure, as described, is definitely heat related.
And while it is not likely to be a valve train failure it could be due to some sort of internal leakage that a RUNNING compression test might detect.
Close inspection of the plugs might also reveal signs of "coolant washing" in one or more cylinders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sold my PCM this weekend to someone who needed it right away and the D was his sole transportation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I finally have a positive update. The Durango is running again. It was the coolant temp sensor. I had noticed that the temp gauge was acting kind of squirrelly but I dismissed it.......I had thought about the whole open/closed loop thing......but, I really didn't believe a temp feedback could kill the engine like that. I thought the program would have clamps and defaults on all the values coming in from the real world...... apparently I was wrong. Also, we never got a check engine light......

Anyway, I am happy the truck is running again..... actually it's my kids truck. Trying to get him to the university another 2 semesters.

It figures....the cheapest part I changed was the fix....lots of new shinny bits under the hood after this adventure.

A huge thank you to this forum and everyone who responded. I really do appreciate everything.

·
Registered
1999 Durango SLT 4x4
16 Posts
That's great news! And a good tip to keep in the notebook. I too wouldn't think a bad temp sensor would cause those symptoms but good to know.
Congratulations on GITTENERDUN!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts