Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just curious how the A/C performance is for the guys that have the DDHC already. The reason I ask is I have a 2020 Ram Power Wagon and the AC is horrible and I have it all tinted out with ceramic. My wife's Jetta GLI and my ZL1 I traded it would freeze you out. It's a known problem now the forum with 1500 and 2500 series Ram trucks. Dealer says it blows within spec. I hope the new Durango does alot better.

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2021 HD FLHXS
84 Posts
I have both a 2020 DDSRT and Ram 1500 and have no issues with the a/c. Actually have to raise the temps because it does become quite chilly in them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I was just curious how the A/C performance is for the guys that have the DDHC already. The reason I ask is I have a 2020 Ram Power Wagon and the AC is horrible and I have it all tinted out with ceramic. My wife's Jetta GLI and my ZL1 I traded it would freeze you out. It's a known problem now the forum with 1500 and 2500 series Ram trucks. Dealer says it blows within spec. I hope the new Durango does alot better.
I have a 2021 DDHC and also had a 2018 DDSRT before it. Both of them have/had full tint including the windshield. I know the DDHC puts off a ton more heat but on the 90 degree days here in NC the "Auto" setting at 72 doesn't seem to keep me as cold as I would hope driving around in the city so I usually bump up the fan speed and all is well. 90% of the time it does just fine on Auto. I don't remember having to adjust off Auto in my 2018 DDSRT.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just went from a 2018 Durango SRT to a 2021 Durango Hellcat.

The Hellcat definitely does not seem to blow near as cold as the SRT did. It seems to take longer for the passenger compartment to get comfortable than it did with the SRT. I am wondering if part of it is due to the different vent set-up.

Further, some of my back seat passengers have complained that they don't think the rear air is working. It is, but it seems less efficient than the 2018, as well.

I'm in Texas so it is pretty hot here right now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both a 2020 DDSRT and Ram 1500 and have no issues with the a/c. Actually have to raise the temps because it does become quite chilly in them.
What year Ram. My 2017 would freeze me out. My 2020 is the one that sucks.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat
32 Posts
My 2021 DDHC has been handling TX summer just fine, so far. I did get Llumar ceramic "Stratos" tint, plus windshield, which is always super helpful. But it seems to be on par with past vehicles, including my old 2018 Durango 392, GMC Sierra, Audi SQ7, etc. We'll see how it does in triple-digit temps...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2021 DDHC has been handling TX summer just fine, so far. I did get Llumar ceramic "Stratos" tint, plus windshield, which is always super helpful. But it seems to be on par with past vehicles, including my old 2018 Durango 392, GMC Sierra, Audi SQ7, etc. We'll see how it does in triple-digit temps...
It's great to hear that not everyone is noticing a difference. This sort of thing makes me wonder if it is all in my head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Ram’s AC is so so but the DDHC’s AC is better plus the cabin is smaller so it hits you harder. I wouldn’t worry about the AC in it. The trucks have a weak ass AC. MY limited and Longhorn both sucked AC wise and back support wise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well glad to hear some feel better about it. Seems like a dice throw with the a/c systems on most of the dodge products.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Lol well it does not seem very promising then. I was hoping for better news.
How did you get that from the posts so far?
You got 3 replies: 1 no issues, 1 so-so and 1 not cold enough. And that's bad news for you? lol
I haven't had an issue with mine thru the heat waves we've had in Jersey.
As for freezing, understand that ACs are designed to to pull humidity out of the air. The more humid the day, the less effective the AC will be. Unofficial standard is it should drop a minimum of 20 degrees from the outside air. And if the system in the vehicle is doing that, the dealer will tell you it is functioning as designed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2019 ram laramie's performance was sub par, but i just got my 2021 HC and it is great.
That's good. Will agree that the Ram A/C performance was sub par. They even have a TSB for trucks built between 2019 and late 2020. It involves removing the whole dash and installing updated parts to help with performance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A/C works greats. Seats get nice and cold too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'd be surprised at how many brand new vehicles of all brands leave the factory, I won't say "low" on charge, but "not optimal" is better stated. Sometimes giving the system a shot anywhere between 1-4 oz makes all the difference on a brand new vehicle. Manufacturers are all about saving a few cents per vehicle, so filling it to the brim is not their concern. With the cost of 1234YF refrigerant they're using now, a couple ounces per vehicle over thousands of vehicles will add up to huge money. Not all vehicles will be low, either. Some can be fine, or even overcharged. Q.C. isn't high on a manufacturers list these days either. It's all about volume. SELL, SELL, SELL!

If you're so inclined to fix it yourself, put the A/C on, fan on high, open windows or doors, get a thermometer in the vent, add a few tenths of an ounce at a time (use a scale, and make sure to purge air out of your gauge hoses first), and pay close attention to the vent temp. Warm the vehicle up first so you don't get as much "creep" in the vent temps due to increasing under hood temperatures. I'd bet you'll get the vent temps down enough to notice. If the temps start going up with just a few tenths, it was probably slightly overcharged - that happens too. Keep in mind, at idle, fan high, windows/doors open is absolute worst case scenario, so if you're in the low 40's, you're going to be very happy rolling down the road in a sealed cab. Oh, and if you buy the auto parts store cans, DO NOT use the ones that mention sealer / stop leak, oil, or both. You want STRAIGHT refrigerant, NO ADDITIVES whatsoever.

My own GM truck was sub optimal from the factory, but it was "good enough", so I never bothered to add refrigerant until enough had leaked out with time to affect cooling. I bought it new in '07, gave it about 7 oz. (134a) due to normal leakage in '13 when performance began to suffer, and the truck cooled better than it ever had prior, even the day it rolled off the showroom floor. I just did a performance test a few weeks ago, and it's still right where it should be, 8 years later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts