Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, So I had the 2 recalls done yesterday, U06 and U65, and the dealership did their usual safety check. Looking at that paperwork today I see a note "signs of squirrel building nest in engine bay". I took a look and sure enough there was a bunch of torn material in the front of and under the fuse box. The material is a white and light blue fabric like or filter type material. I couldn't tell if there were any damaged wires as I didn't know if I could lift out the fuse box to check.
I'm wondering if the material was part of some insulation. I have to figure it was but does anyone know?
It would have been nice of the dealership to actually check it or to have let me know about it when it was being worked on.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It's a common sound-deadening material. I'm not sure of the base used in the DD, (or much about it's makeup in other makes/models). They used to use jute and fiberglass, but modern construction, I have no clue. May be the same makeup. Squirrels and other rodents like to build their nests where it's warm, while the jute and other sound-deadening materials in a car makes perfect nesting material. This has been a common problem for years.

But more recently, in the interest of appeasing environmental activists, car makers are now using "soy-based" materials on wire instead of plastic, or rubber.. Apparently, squirrels and other rodents like the taste, and incorporate the wire's insulation as a food cache. This "biodegradable, eatable" wire insulation came out in the late 90's.
So now, rodents have a nice, cozy motor home to raise their modern 'family on-the-go' --- complete with a SHTF stash of groceries. Kinda adds a new definition to the term, "Rat rod", don't it?

·
Administrator
8,067 Posts
This has been a problem for car owners since the invention of the auto. Clean it out and look for damage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First time I've ever had the issue. My question was in where the material came from. I didn't know if there was insulation around the fuse box and I didn't see any other source. I have cleaned it out and didn't see any damage....as far as I could actually see.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Not seeing it, the description sounds like firewall, or hood insulation filler. Not the tar board exterior, just the soft filler behind it for their nest. Although the firewall insulation looks normal, press lightly around the edges to see if you can feel a "void" anywhere, maybe. It really could've come from anywhere, too, as they often gather and carry it in from outside sources?
I have no first-hand experience with this, but Carol just told me that taping some cat hair where the nest was with duct tape, or other waterproof tape keeps rats from rebuilding a nest, so it may also work with other critters. Cat urine werks too, but --- yeah --- not in MY car., either! ;) They can identify it by their wicked sense of smell and wont build anywhere their babies can become cat chow.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Spent $500 two months ago on the injector harness for the Durango! Damn chipmunks. Insurance paid all but the 500 dec

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2018 DDGT (3.6L). I have changed the oil three times. Each time the top of the engine (below the removable engine cover) is packed with chunks of white insulation. I believe it is a mouse that is building the nests. I sure wish I could find where it is pulling the insulation from. The insulation is NOT coming from the firewall or under the hood. Below is a photo of the insulation chunks that I have pulled from one of the nests. I would have to say that I have pulled the equivalent of two gallons of loose insulation from the top of the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts