Dodge Durango Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
No software update that I am aware of, and no change to the situation however I have found that I can drive in a way to avoid the issue from occurring. Was told they could not reproduce the problem and all is good.
Thanks for the reply. I fail to see how I will be able to significantly alter my driving habits, especially as I use my Durango mostly for towing purposes. :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will update. My dealer runs hot and cold with issues such as this.....
Take a look at my post from June 2019, especially the notes that I quoted from the service order.
5th to 4th, Hard Downshift <<< (post #107 if the link doesn't work right)
There is a flash (just a regular update, it seems) followed by drive learn adaptation. The service department tried a quick learn (which seems to be normal procedure) but that didn't work. I think most of the people running into the problem where the dealer tries to fix it and it doesn't work for more than a few days/weeks are because they didn't do the correct procedure. I haven't seen the text of the STAR case that's mentioned but the service department should be able to look it up for details.

·
Registered
2020 RT Blacktop AWD
24 Posts
Sorry ahead of time for the long post. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Anyway I have isolated the issue on my 2020 RT.

Issue: when coming to a slow stop the truck will sometimes surge / jump forward before coming to a complete stop. Almost like someone lightly rear ended you as you come to the stop.

Through some testing I can recreate the issue. In my truck if I find a downward grade and manually paddle shift to 2nd, then decelerate to 20 mph. Then very lightly brake to 16 to 17ish mph. The truck feels like it slips out of gear or goes into neutral and since you are on a downgrade the truck jumps forward. What's weird is that it is not shifting because after the jump the truck will be in the same gear it was before.

If you press the brakes hard enough you don't notice it, or if the grade is not steep enough.

It's not only with the brake depressed if you slow down naturally on the downgrade (like turning) it also can happen.

It can even happen when the truck is in manual mode via paddle shifters.

At first I though my 2nd/3rd gear was slipping but if you don't hit that speed it never happens it will engine brake forever going down the hill. Also if I rip it hard in manual mode in those gears it never does it. So I personally think it is a software based issue.

If you want to decrease it happening, on a downward grade shift back and forth between the gears giving you problems quickly, also while engine braking only (no brake pedal or accelerator). For me this stopped it from happening during normal driving but I can still recreate it manually with the paddles.

It seems like the tranny is programmed to prepare for a downshift when you are off the accelerator, in certain gears, and hit certain speeds, to make the downshift smoother. If you don't decrease speed enough it goes back into the same gear it was in before the bump, instead of keeping it in neutral or going down a gear.

Also it seems like eco/normal/sport all have independent learning as it happens in different modes until I do the above procedure.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts