Dodge Durango Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when it's downshifting, is it doing it kinda quick? Like on mine when coming to a stop, it is still in 4th gear at around 10 miles an hour or less. Now in Sport Mode it will downshift quick than that. I don't remember what gear I'm in at that speed, but it is lower than 4th.

I don't have the rough shifting issue on my R/T is why I ask this. My 5th to 4th is fine as well. Just wondered if maybe the transmission was downshifting faster than it is suppose to, possibly causing the rough downshifts. If that is the case, it would seem like the computer is telling the transmission to downshift too early. One would think the to PCM or what have you needs reprogrammed/replaced, maybe there is a bad batch of them? Especially after several of you have reported it came back after getting parts replaced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's not really a matter of how quick/slow or when it downshifts as long as it's smooth. When I had the problem of 5>4 downshift, myself and others in the car, thought we got rear ended. It's that clunk/jolt when downshifting. Kinda like a bad shift when driving a manual where don't blip the throttle and release the clutch to quick.

Given that, programming could still be a root cause but after X miles of bad shifting due to programming issues, is there physical part damage as a result.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's not really a matter of how quick/slow or when it downshifts as long as it's smooth. When I had the problem of 5>4 downshift, myself and others in the car, thought we got rear ended. It's that clunk/jolt when downshifting. Kinda like a bad shift when driving a manual where don't blip the throttle and release the clutch to quick.

Given that, programming could still be a root cause but after X miles of bad shifting due to programming issues, is there physical part damage as a result.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2015 Citadel with the Hemi and about 40,500 miles now but around 38, 000 at the time.
I also had the very rough 5 to 4 downshift and occasional 2 to 1 rough downshift for the 3 years ive owned it. It seemed more pronounced with AC on initially but then was just rough all the time and like others have said it felt like i was rear ended and checked behind me a few times to see.
After reading here that not much can be done to fix it I never mentioned it to my dealer until I had a bigger problem with it. On 2 occasions the transmission clunked into 4th louder than usual and then resulted in a check engine light code P0734 and the vehicle in limp mode staying in 4th gear until i turned it off and restarted. First time I brought to dealer the light went off the morning i was bringing it in and they refused to do anything without an active code. Then after the 2nd time (about 3 months later) this happened i brought it right to dealer so the code was still active. At first they tried to just say it went out and is shifting normally now but I pushed them to look further to the cause of the limp mode and CEL. about an hour later they called and said they were going to replace the transmission and waiting on final approval from FCA. Then about a half hour after that they called back and said it was approved and on order. seemingly a total 180 as they were not going to do anything initially. I know it doesnt sound like it, but i really do like my dealer and service people. they have been very good overall, although sometimes quick to dismiss things at first but usually come through for me. Much better than any of the other dealers in my area have been.
about 3 weeks later i had the transmission replaced and since then Ive driven about 2500 miles and so far its been great. hopefully it stays this way.

on a side note: another issue i always had was on the first start of the day, the first 1 to 2 upshift was always delayed and kind of rough but that too has been rectified.

·
Registered
110 Posts
on a side note: another issue i always had was on the first start of the day, the first 1 to 2 upshift was always delayed and kind of rough but that too has been rectified.
I've had this happen, too. Not always, but often enough.
Good to know that it seems the problem *can* be resolved. :thumbsup:

Maybe it's going to take a second transmission replacement on mine.

·
Registered
616 Posts

I know its worst in my '14 V6 if I leave the Eco mode "on" and its seems less abrupt and/o smoother with the Eco mode "off".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's my latest update. Had the DD at the dealer for the last week after hearing that TSB 21-013-19 might be a fix. The TSB was issued 3/13/2019 so it's not too old.
Service order results show this:
Customer states transmission is not shifting correctly, also shifts very harsh, perform TSB 21-013-19 first and then advise

TCM not up to date. Need to reprogram module with latest software and test drive.

Updated TCM module to latest software per TSB 21-013-19 P#68249346AE/AF
LOP 18-19-05-LH .2 Test drove vehicle. Shifting became worse. Reset adaptives and performed quicklearn. Shifting was still harsh during 5-4 downshift. Performed ETC Learn and found Star Case S1421000017. Performed drive learn adaptation procedure TSB 21-030-14. Drove vehicle 20 miles. Set counters above 2 vehicle shifts are good. No further concerns found.
I just picked it up last night and only drove about 10 miles so far and it seems fine.k

Take-aways from this so far, IF it is a true fix:
1 - the service and tech were able to reproduce my problem. Service writer acknowledged that he's seen this quite a bit
2 - this is a software problem. Replacing hardware (TCM, PCM, valve body, entire transmission, etc.) might be required if anything got damaged due to extended periods of harsh shifting, but the FIX is software.
3 - unclear what specifically is in TSB 21-013-19 since I can't find it on the interwebs, but there is a TCM update since 12/26/18 when they indicated no TCM or PCM software available for me.
4 - there is a Star Case S1421000017 that relates to this issue
5 - after the TCM is updated, they need to do a drive learn adaptation, which was issued as a TSB back in 2014. This might not be standard procedure after doing a TCM flash.

I'll continue to give long term updates.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's my latest update. Had the DD at the dealer for the last week after hearing that TSB 21-013-19 might be a fix. The TSB was issued 3/13/2019 so it's not too old.
Service order results show this:

I just picked it up last night and only drove about 10 miles so far and it seems fine.k

Take-aways from this so far, IF it is a true fix:
1 - the service and tech were able to reproduce my problem. Service writer acknowledged that he's seen this quite a bit
2 - this is a software problem. Replacing hardware (TCM, PCM, valve body, entire transmission, etc.) might be required if anything got damaged due to extended periods of harsh shifting, but the FIX is software.
3 - unclear what specifically is in TSB 21-013-19 since I can't find it on the interwebs, but there is a TCM update since 12/26/18 when they indicated no TCM or PCM software available for me.
4 - there is a Star Case S1421000017 that relates to this issue
5 - after the TCM is updated, they need to do a drive learn adaptation, which was issued as a TSB back in 2014. This might not be standard procedure after doing a TCM flash.

I'll continue to give long term updates.
Following up on this - how has the Durango been driving? Any issues with shifting after a week?

Been going back and forth with my dealer and I’m hoping to use the info here to help them help me get the DD fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Following up on this - how has the Durango been driving? Any issues with shifting after a week?

Been going back and forth with my dealer and I’m hoping to use the info here to help them help me get the DD fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After 1 week and 300 miles, it's still shifting correctly. This is by far the longest it's been shifting well since they did the cruise control recall/flash last August.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noticed yesterday when coming to a stop, the truck (2017 RT) would downshift hard and surge forward a bit. Watched the gear selection, and each time it was when going from 5th to 4th. Upshifts and the rest of the downshifts are smooth. This is NOT Sport mode, just normal, and no paddles. Seems like it waits an extra second, then hits 4th harder and lurches forward. Shut truck off in traffic and restarted. Next slow down was normal, then each time afterward it was back to hitting hard.

After work today, noticed same thing again. When I got home, I disconnected the battery and went for another ride. All was smooth again. But, then I noticed I was getting hot, so the AC was not on because I had disconnected the battery. Decided to turn the AC on and go for another ride. Yep, the hard downshift to 4th and surge was back right away.
It was warm starting yesterday, so in the last 1800 miles since new, barely had AC on other than defrost etc. Have no idea if AC has any connection.

Anybody had any hard downshift issues from 5th to 4th??? Feels like the ECM/TCM is getting screwed up or indecisive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue with Durango R/T 2016 model. Brought it to the dealership for the 2nd time. Software upgrade didn’t help resolve the issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sanjay, while it is possible you have a different problem than many of us have had, here's a quick test to see if it's likely the same or different. Instead of decelerating/cruising in "D" use the paddle shifters to downshift at the same speed that it would normally do it on its own. For me, that was downshifting from 5th to 4th at 25mph. If it's really smooth when you do that but not when it does it in "D" it sounds like you do have the same problem and it should be solved with the TCM update posted earlier.

It's important to make sure the dealer does a drive learn adaptation after doing the software update. The update itself seems to not do it. Print out and give them the TSB that describes the problem (even though it says it's for 2015 models).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I traded over the weekend a 14 for an 18 r/t. I noticed the hard shift on the 18 also. I thought I was just imagining it but I guess not!!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
About this Discussion
116 Replies
32 Participants
usn081888
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing