Dodge Durango Forum banner

5.7 wiped cams and collasped lifters

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Viciousjay 
#1 ·
I have a 3.6L V6 in a 2014 DD, but there seems to be quite a few Youtube videos about 5.7L V8 cam lobes being wiped by collasped roller lifters, with mileage under 100K.

I have not seached this forum for comments, but was curious if the problem is as prevalent as the videos imply.

#2 ·
Not with either of my Hemi's....'06 w/242,000 miles and '14 w/113,000.
But there might be a link with extending idling and the issue...or maybe it was a bad batch of lifters that got installed into some engines. I think the overall # effected is very low and not worth worrying over.

#3 ·
Dunno about the 5.7L, other than it was a known issue.. But it's kind of 'relevant' that you mention you have the 3.6L Pentastar.. Google "Pentastar Tick"... Apparently, it's still an issue, but early models have an extended warrantee to address this... I don't know if the extended warranty has been broadened to cover models after 2013, but there is a class-action lawsuit batting around out there somewhere to try to cover later model owners..

#6 · (Edited)
See the attached PDF... Apparently, it's still a 'thing'. My '17 now "ticks" loudly when cold and my sister in-law's Pentastar-equipped '13 JGC was repaired under warranty with a broken valve spring, The floating rocker arm was causing an audible "clicking", misfire and money light. She traded it in shortly after the repair.So far, I have no money light on my '17 SXT, but at 33K, she's getting a tad close to the 'standard drive train coverage' ending. This is a bit 'concerting' to say the least.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.