Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 2006 Durango 5.7 runs good unless I get on it then check engine light flashes cylinder 6 misfire.. I've swapped all injectors and coil packs around (not new).. New plugs.. I was told it could be broken valve spring bit pulled valve cover off and didn't see anything that looked bad... Any help please..

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Roktown:
When looking for a valvetrain issue, it helps to slowly turn the engine over by hand, and observed the motion of the suspect valve/spring. You may also have a lifter getting flaky on you. The MDS cylinders, are 1,4,6,7. Lifter 6 might have an issue, or the control solenoid for it.

Don

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could be a lifter starting to fail. Is there a noticeable tick when the engine is running?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roktown:
When looking for a valvetrain issue, it helps to slowly turn the engine over by hand, and observed the motion of the suspect valve/spring. You may also have a lifter getting flaky on you. The MDS cylinders, are 1,4,6,7. Lifter 6 might have an issue, or the control solenoid for it.

Don
This thing is weird.. I've had it parked not for a few months now.. I did all the above too it over winter and didn't see anything did compression tests looked in cylinder. Put it back together no codes ran great. Parked it again cause it's not registered.. Car brings down so I got it out and it started doing it again..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Maybe it's a wiring issue farther down the line you can't see?

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Are you seeing any other codes? The fact that it runs ok until you accelerate briskly, makes me wonder if the MDS solenoid is intermittently failing to properly transition from 4 back to 8 cylinders?

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you seeing any other codes? The fact that it runs ok until you accelerate briskly, makes me wonder if the MDS solenoid is intermittently failing to properly transition from 4 back to 8 cylinders?

Don
Nope no other codes

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Ok on no other codes. It would be interesting, if you could disable the MDS, and see what, if anything, changes. Re the valve spring issue, they can be bad/broken, and very hard to see without being removed. That issue was more of an '04 thing, but it can happen. How many miles on your D?

HEMIWOT makes a good point. Since it has not been driven for a while, you may have critter damage form rodents munching on a harness. A thorough visual inspection, along with intake removal to observe the MDS harness, is the way to do that.

Don

·
Registered
2021 Durango GT Plus AWD
49 Posts
Just curious - what type of new plugs were installed? On the Charger forums many guys who switched their Hemis to the expensive precious metals plugs have had mis-fire issues and codes set. The OE copper Champions have the least resistance and are rock solid in Hemis. You mentioned you swapped the COPs and injectors around, with NEW plugs, but have you tried swapping the plugs from #6 with an adjacent cylinder? Also check the gap on the new plugs and examine them closely for any cracks or damage in that cylinder. I have seen new plugs that were defective out of the box due to someone dropping them and causing damage, as well as gaps that were WAY off right out of the box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just curious - what type of new plugs were installed? On the Charger forums many guys who switched their Hemis to the expensive precious metals plugs have had mis-fire issues and codes set. The OE copper Champions have the least resistance and are rock solid in Hemis. You mentioned you swapped the COPs and injectors around, with NEW plugs, but have you tried swapping the plugs from #6 with an adjacent cylinder? Also check the gap on the new plugs and examine them closely for any cracks or damage in that cylinder. I have seen new plugs that were defective out of the box due to someone dropping them and causing damage, as well as gaps that were WAY off right out of the box.
I bought truck 2yrs ago started throwing this code.. Couldn't figure it out so it's been parked since.. Critter is doubtful cause this was happening before.. I swapped all 16 for
Ok on no other codes. It would be interesting, if you could disable the MDS, and see what, if anything, changes. Re the valve spring issue, they can be bad/broken, and very hard to see without being removed. That issue was more of an '04 thing, but it can happen. How many miles on your D?

HEMIWOT makes a good point. Since it has not been driven for a while, you may have critter damage form rodents munching on a harness. A thorough visual inspection, along with intake removal to observe the MDS harness, is the way to do that.

Don
Roughly 185k miles..
oem plugs doesn't run bad at all.. Until hard acceleration..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I replaced all plugs new.. Tried swapping coil packs and replaced cylinder 6 injector
Then I'd run a compression test, then pull the valve cover and check valve action. Might be trying to drop a seat out of the head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I've got a 2006 Durango 5.7 runs good unless I get on it then check engine light flashes cylinder 6 misfire.. I've swapped all injectors and coil packs around (not new).. New plugs.. I was told it could be broken valve spring bit pulled valve cover off and didn't see anything that looked bad... Any help please..
You're roller on lifter is bad wearing in to cam I had these misfire only when you get on it, sometimes you won't even get the tick noice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I replaced with the champion oem I believe not precious metal plugs.. I did try swapping plugs with adjacent cylinder before buying new ones..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then I'd run a compression test, then pull the valve cover and check valve action. Might be trying to drop a seat out of the head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I did a compression test too only on even side they are all pretty similar.. Think I'm just gonna sell it as is.. I appreciate the comments..

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're roller on lifter is bad wearing in to cam I had these misfire only when you get on it, sometimes you won't even get the tick noice
Might be the only thing left to check.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts