Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's current daily is an 07 Durango SLT 4.7. Its my first Dodge and I was leery at first, but 5 years and 120+k miles later (now approaching 197k) its been overall a great vehicle. Wondering how the 3rd gens are over long spans and wanted to hear from owners. I'm considering a 2013 Crew, Hemi, 6 spd auto, leather, 65k miles. How do these newer trucks hold up over time? What are the weak areas you guys have seen and what are the strengths? I don't see swiss cheese 3rd gens around, so it looks like Dodge might have finally done something about the rust issues.

Thoughts? We're thinking of downsizing as we don't "need" a three row SUV anymore, but this is the first 3rd gen I've seen for under $20k that isn't already well over 100k miles, so I figured it might be worth a closer look.

Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you can get a '14, they have an 8 spd tranny and few other things. Also, if you don't need the 3 rows, you might consider a Grand Cherokee. Basically the same with only 2 rows.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been avoiding the Jeeps, basically from poor longevity reviews I've read, but good point that its a similar vehicle...but unless you get an SRT I don't think you can get a V8 in a Gr Cherokee, can you? Every single one I've seen is a V6 unless you get an SRT or a Trackhawk or something. I need something I stand a good chance of getting up to 200k on the odometer without major repairs like a new tranny.

The 2013 I'm eyeing specifically is because its only $18k and has everything she wants and then some.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But now I see some reviews recommend the Gr Cherokee over the Durango specifically for reliability. Lol.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,110 Posts
I have a 2014 Durango Limited - V-6, AWD, with 174K miles. It's needed a few things along the way, but it is a solid vehicle, runs well, and has been very reliable. As @Army_vet mentioned, if you can find a 2014+ that would be a better option because of the 8-speed transmission and other upgrades. Do you plan on towing with it? Because if not, the V-6 is a very capable engine. It will easily take you to felonious speeds - don't ask me how I know... ;-)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep my eyes open for a 14 or newer. So far they've all looked to have either a jillion miles on them or waaay too pricey for my likes.

I've towed only once with my current D, we have a pickup truck for heavy hauling so the suv is really more of a family truckster at this point in our lives. Looking at a lot of different downsizing oiptions, this one specific D just happened to pop up...its almost suspiciously cheap compared to others in my area.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can you replace the tcm from a'14 to an earlier gen 3 to make it an 8spd like in the gen 1s from a GC?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,313 Posts
Can you replace the tcm from a'14 to an earlier gen 3 to make it an 8spd like in the gen 1s from a GC?

No. Completely different transmissions as far as hardware.

Reactions: Army_vet

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the 2013 is out, too big and the wife wants to downsize...which I'm ok with too.

Thanks gents!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts