Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently had my 3rd brake light wing come off on me on the highway on my 2021 DD R/T. My entire 3rd brake light wing came flying off on I75 and all I could do was watch it tumble behind me! I was able to retrieve the wing from off the highway. I had been noticing that I had to continually keep tightening up the 2 screws on either end of the wing. Sometimes I would lift my tailgate and find the square bolts inside the gate opening. I am attaching pics so that maybe someone can help me in who to contact regarding this. This is pure BS! This truck is only a year old with no damage! If you look closely at one of the pics, you can see where the wing was hitting up against the top landing of the truck. I am furious as a 60k truck should not be falling apart like this! It pulled away with a clean break and the clip doesn't seem to be damaged.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Windscreen wiper
Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gadget
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tar Tints and shades
Automotive tire Tire Door Bumper Automotive exterior
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Machine Rectangle

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,558 Posts
Sadly you're not the first to report this happening !

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think the people installing the tailgate and spoiler must be hung over or something. We've had several tailgates delivered that were misaligned to the left so far that they rubbed holes in the paint and even caused actual metalwork damage in some cases. We've also seen multiple spoilers detach - some at speed, others in carwashes, etc. Clearly Dodge saw fit to issue a recall on the spoilers. Having parts fly off on the highways tends to get the attention of the authorities. I guess they just expected dealers to realign/repair the tailgates, like they did with mine. Now I'm curious whether the OP's truck was included in the build range for the original recall, or maybe we've got a new batch of Durangos with the same problem all over again.

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,387 Posts
Don't mention that you kept tightening it up without taking it to a dealer. That alone could cause them to refuse the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago to have the radio looked at because I'm continuously getting messages across the screen to take to a dealership for service after just recently having an update and the whole module replaced at the dealership (warranty covered) a few months ago. While there I told them about the wing and how it had seem to be loose. They told me that there were a few clips broken but they didn't have them in stock. Told the service advisor to send over the estimate for repair and cost of clips and he never sent them. I feel that they should've known there was a recall on these wings/spoilers at that time and informed me of it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts