Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am wondering if anyone has installed an Invisable Bra onto their D?

It seems like a pretty sweet thing to do....similar to the clear strips of plastic we all use on our iphones, etc.

I hear that 3M is the best product to go with.

Anyone have this on the vehicle? If so did you install it yourself? (I hear it is time consuming and painstaking to install but doable if you are patient.)

Thoughts?

here is a link to a company near me that installs them: you can see the product line there as well....

Car Protection Pro - Automotive Clear Bra Kits

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm OCD, but not OCD enough to do a clear bra install myself. Having said that, the installer I pick would need to be a perfectionist!!

Also make sure to only use approved high quality products on it, or it will turn yellow!

·
Registered
202 Posts
It turns yellowish anyway after so many years. I had 3M on my previous car and after 7 years it was the most God awful thing to take off. It had fractured all up, taken paint with it, and took me a couple weekends full of peeling tiny little pieces.

I WOULD NEVER DO IT AGAIN. With that said however if you are going to have it installed and replaced every 3 years it would be a nice way to keep highway hood chips at a minimum. You have to go into it knowing that every 2-3 years you will be paying someone to remove and replace. Also since it absorbs UV rays, which is the cause of its eventual breakdown, the paint its protecting will be a slightly different shade then the rest of the truck that was exposed fully to the sun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We installed Solargard invisible bra on ours. Supposedly it has less of an orange peel look than 3M and better yellowing characteristics. If I remember correctly, the warranty is also better than 3M. It has already paid off for us. A cab ran a red light as I was entering an intersection. I slammed on the brakes but still clipped his right rear fender. His fender was dented. The Solargard film on our front bumper took all of the damage. It was torn and had white paint from the cab. When the tech removed the film, the bumper had no damage. We had new film installed which is much preferred to having the bumper repaired.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm having clear bra installed this weekend on our '15 RT. The guy I selected to do the work came highly recommended. I'm very anal about my cars so I'll let you know what I think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How much are you guys paying to have this done? I assume you are having the entire front end/grill area done and going up over the hood about 6-12 inches or so?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've done the 3M on all new cars since 2004, 10-12 total. Its great, but it is a pain the ass to remove. I like to leave it on for the first 3 years then take it off at that point.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Doesn't the clear bra prevent the paint from fading, thereby creating I different shade under the film?
It absolutely does. The front third of my STI's hood was a slightly darker shade of crystal grey metallic then the rest of the car faded too over 7 years. Granted I was ill informed and should never have left it on for 7 years. Taking it off to reinstall would result in the same fade issue but not the horrible removal process.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Dependent on where you live the paint could change within 6 mths
STEVE

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've had quality clear bras on a lot of my current and previous cars and I keep them waxed and either in a garage at nite or under a car port and have had no problems.I would rather have a two toned faded spot than a front end full of chips.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I paid 600.00 for XPel installed on front end (complete) and mirrors. Love it!!! 26k miles and NO CHIPS or FADING!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
That's better. OK good deal. My place doors 3M, XPel and clearshield. Waiting to hear back on prices. It seems Xpel is definitely good stuff. Thanks for reply.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can anyone share the best source for some clear wrap that I can use for the door sills and fenders? Amazon? Should I stick with 3m or give Xpel a try?

·
Registered
158 Posts
What I was quoted in Tampa.

Hello. Thank you for the e-mail. We carry multiple different kits. The best is Xpel templates with Xpel film. If you want something different just let me know. Below are the prices installed for your new truck.

18” Hood, Fenders, Mirrors - $275.00
24” Hood, Fenders, Mirrors, and Flares - $350.00 wrapped edges - $25.00
Upper and Lower Bumper- $410.00
Grille - $180.00
Lights - $80.00
Roof Top and A-pillars - $150.00

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

1 - 20 of 24 Posts