Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought an awesome 2014 AWD Limited with the Hemi. We love it, but...

since my wife is disabled, I agreed to buy it ONLY if the dealer could get it lowered by 3-4 inches, allowing for her to get in and out with my assistance. A local custom speed shop agreed to do it for $1800. Being a new car and not being a mechanic, we signed the papers.
The shop had about 6 different springs in it before the owner was "happy" with fit and safety. I got it back with about a 2.75 drop in front which looks great. The back, however, was dropped maybe 1 inch with 250lbs of sand bags back there. The shop said the springs will settle, but the weight was in the front so that will take time. 600 miles later, nothing.

So, from what I've been reading, it's the self leveling shocks that are pushing up the back end. Should I have the shop put in the non-leveling upper mounts and some monroes? The last call I made to them I was told, "that's the shortest spring out there, there's nothing else we can do. I'm not mad, but I spent a pretty penny for s truck and the modifications nessissry for my family, and it's closer to what we need, but it's not what I paid for.
Any thoughts or input from you guys that have already been messing with your shocks?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will tell you that if you actually lower the rear 3" or even anything more than 2" you will be riding with the suspension fully compressed. These dont have much travel in the rear to start with and the dealer should have done some reaserch before hand. At that price I see your option should be to install airbags and non load leveling springs in the rear to lower for entry/ exit and raise back up to drive. Please dont let them ruin the vehicle trying to half ass something together to work for you.

Reactions: bcrystlazrt

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it were me I'd look into a good air bag suspension set up. I'm sure it'll be pricey but to me this sounds like the best option. Lower it really low to get the wife in and out, raise it back up to close to normal height for driving. You'll probably have to find a really good shop that can build a custom air bag system to meet your needs. You may even have some luck allowing an air bag company to use your DD as a test vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Air bags are your best bet, they got some really nice kits now where you can preset heights for driving , lower it for exit entrance of the rango.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you sure you have the load leveling suspension? IIRC it's not standard on the Limited. Only comes with tow package.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes you need the upper shock mount and Monroe shocks, but 3" drop is pretty severe...you are definitely going to need to fab up some hardware to get alignment anywhere close to OEM, plus control arms, and swaybar end links. For what you paid all of that should have been included. You are really going to sacrifice the ride quality and handling with a drop that low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some good (and quick) replies. I though airbags at first, as well, but all the shops I called said it would make the ride sloppy. The current setup seems to ride great, but I have very little drop in the rear. The test DD for a bag company is interesting idea, but I suspect they wouldn't be in New England.

If I added the non-leveling setup in the rear, think I'd get it to drop at least the 1 3/4 to 2? That's more than I have now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any way to "turn off" the load leveling shocks to allow a drop for entry? Probably not doable, just thinking of options

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Does it settle to a low enough height after it sits? If so the shocks will do the trick if not the springs are holding it up and that wont change
STEVE

·
Registered
314 Posts
I paid $40-$45 for the Dorman rear upper shock mounts from RockAuto Parts Catalog and $60 for the two rear Monroe shocks (brand new from craigslist, but I believe you can get them from http://www.shop.advanceautoparts.com for around $80-$90 for the pair with a coupon code). That's pretty cheap and should do the trick for you. I'd get the installer to pay for the parts and install them. It was nice he did some R&D with the springs, but $1800 is a lot!... Did that include an alignment?

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
Going that low would require shorter shocks than stock anyway or you would end up destroying the stock shocks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Would goin that low cause increased wear n tear on the front cv joint ??
On fwd cars I owned in the past going 3 in drop was a death sentence for the whole susp and axles cvs.
Should be something to ask the shop

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
It could be.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had the same problem with the Road Magnet Springs.... It is not possible to lower the rear more than an inch with the load leveling shocks. My suggestion would be to bring it back to the speed shop and have them put it up on the lift to get the load leveling shocks to un-pressurize, then set it back down on the ground. The rear end will then be at whatever height the springs were designed for and the front will also come up a bit. If you are happy with where is sits at that point..... That would be your final result AFTER you swap out the shocks for non load leveling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts