Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with dodge customer service yesterday according to the person I spoke with, the manual that was sent out with the Durango is wrong. The true towing capacity of the 3.6L Durango is yup you guessed it 6,200lbs. That is with the factory or non factory hitch, without the extra cooling and extra added features. I was told those entries are for people who will be towing on a constant basis like 3-4 times a week. I then went to the dealer who showed me a copy of the delivery sheet which states the tow rating is 6,200lbs. ( I'll post a pic once I scan it )

That said I have been towing since I was 17 years old that is 27 years for me and I can tell you, the truck will struggle with that much weight things will strain and break no doubt, it happens to every tow vehicle at some point. Please take what I have said here in your own way, I am just passing on what I was told by dodge. If you truly need a truck to tow anything over 5,000 lbs I would suggest getting a Hemi (5.7L) Durango or a ram p/u.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The person I spoke with at dodge customer service told me i can't trust the website specs and had to go by the manual, so I don't even know what to believe at this point. I bought this suv with the expectation that I'd be able to tow a 5,000 lb camper a few times a year just to find out the manual states 3,500 lbs. I also looked for a sticker that shows the gvwr combined and didn't see anything on the drivers door that helped. Are you saying that yours is not tow equipped? Dodge needs to get their shit together. The 15 manual shows the same tow ratings as the 14

Reactions: Citadel Brian

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Dodge used to sell their B vans with a 225 ci slant six and claim they could pull a double horse trailer with them. They would on flat ground. Any kind of a grade and they couldn't go ove @ 15 mph. People got real p232323 off about that and a lot of vans got traded in for v-8 's of other brands cause folks didn't like being lied to.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I do remember my dad's towing test of vehicles.
Hook up the trailer and see how it does.
If the vehicle doesn't overheat at highway speeds...good to go.
If it does..install larger radiator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Flatland towing the 3.6 tows real well. If your going to be towing in mountainous terrain the hemi is the better choice . I tow a 5400 lb . boat with my 3.6 with tow package . all flat land towing , and it tows great . I had a hemi Aspen before and can't see much of a difference . I don't tow at 75 mph like some of the maniacs out there , especially since most trailer tires are rated for 65 mph . I also don't floor it at every light , and drive very conservatively The tow package makes a huge difference . Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
img007.jpg

As you can see The dealer wrote Vin Specific on the sheet I now have proof so if anything goes wrong they will be fixing it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I read it as , "when properly equipped".

Reactions: Moose135

·
Registered
366 Posts
The disclaimer will protect them from most issues if it isn't covered by your regular warranty (powertrain would cover most towing related failures right?)

But is says when properly equipped then doesn't state what properly equipped is. What it will haul and what it will safely haul are always two different things.... I'd always swing on the conservative side. It's not about what the dealer might fix it's more about who will be affected if something failed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
View attachment 26585

As you can see The dealer wrote Vin Specific on the sheet I now have proof so if anything goes wrong they will be fixing it!!!
It says "when properly equipped". I don't think this will cover you if something goes wrong a few years from now.

Also don't most warranties say something like no agent or employee is authorized to change the terms of the warranty agreement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
***UPDATE*** I had the hitch installed at the dealer, and bought my travel trailer last week from western MD. The trailer weighs 4,800 dry, I also had them install anti sway bars and a load leveling hitch. I drove home watching the trans temp and coolant temp, the hottest the trans got was 203 under load up hill and 197-199 straightaway. The coolant never went above normal, it was a hilly drive home she did struggle a bit up hill, speed would drop off quick if I didn't down shift to maintain my speed. Even the dealer at the RV place said he couldn't believe how well it towed the 28' trailer. As for now everything looks good the first camping trip is next month and it will be up hill once I get to the mountains I will update again once I return home since the trailer will be loaded..

Happy Cruising.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, I'm not taking chances with my family traveling. I also don't believe for a second that a vehicle without tow pkg can tow the same as one with a tow pkg. I certainly believed it dropped the rating from 6,200 to 5,000 without the HD cooling and load leveling shocks. I have a nice load leveling hitch setup with anti-sway and my limited didn't slouch or anything pulling 4k. It didn't love long steep hills and I didn't have the family or gear so I knew it would just be more taxed. If dodge gets a class action because they misled people, I'll be there joining. I still love my Dodges and I got my RT with tow pkg now so I'm not worried anymore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts