Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’ve got a diablo i3, I don’t like it its pretty cheap feeling but it logs the data needed
I don't know about those.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
First thing I did was cut that little piece of plastic that sticks out from right in front of the scoop. It restricts the air coming in from the vents above the radiator. Cut that fucker off when I realized how restricted everything was. There was already a slight difference in throttle response. Then I cut off the rubber weather strip on the hood from the edge of the grill, basically everything right above the headlight. I also cut a big hole in the bottom of the air box. Did all that with just a drop in K&N. Throttle response was way better than stock.

I then managed to fit a 5.5 x 6.5 K&N cone filter inside the stock box by gutting the shit out of it and running a 4 in tube through the hole to another tube to the TB via a reducer. I was trying to use the stock box as a heat shield. By that point I had the custom tune.

I finally got to the point where I didn't think the K&N cone filter inside the stock air box was big enough, after my header install. So I upgraded to a 9 in. K&N cone. Made my own heat shield out of abs plastic so it lines with the hood at the top. I have pics in the gallery. I think all that helped a bit as I progressed.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer.
Can you post pics of what you did to the stock box and weatherstripping? Intrigued by that

·
Registered
124 Posts
First thing I did was cut that little piece of plastic that sticks out from right in front of the scoop. It restricts the air coming in from the vents above the radiator. Cut that fucker off when I realized how restricted everything was. There was already a slight difference in throttle response. Then I cut off the rubber weather strip on the hood from the edge of the grill, basically everything right above the headlight. I also cut a big hole in the bottom of the air box. Did all that with just a drop in K&N. Throttle response was way better than stock.

I then managed to fit a 5.5 x 6.5 K&N cone filter inside the stock box by gutting the shit out of it and running a 4 in tube through the hole to another tube to the TB via a reducer. I was trying to use the stock box as a heat shield. By that point I had the custom tune.

I finally got to the point where I didn't think the K&N cone filter inside the stock air box was big enough, after my header install. So I upgraded to a 9 in. K&N cone. Made my own heat shield out of abs plastic so it lines with the hood at the top. I have pics in the gallery. I think all that helped a bit as I progressed.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer.
I like to tinker on my rock crawler but the Durango I’m lazy. I bought a legmaker intake haha.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can you post pics of what you did to the stock box and weatherstripping? Intrigued by that
Yeah later I'll post a couple pics.

Reactions: zwade

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Can someone with an RT that’s all wheel drive in factory gears post their rpm at 60 mph 70 mph and 80 mph all in 8th gear

·
Registered
427 Posts
Been out side so it's dirty.
Street light Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Recipe

Oh yeah I had a silicone hose running from that other hole down to the opening at the very bottom below the windshield fluid bottle.
Wood Gas Machine Nail Auto part

Hood Tread Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery

I've had the piece of rubber strip removed for almost two years. Stays very dry in there even in the rain. Anything that gets in there is from when I wash it. I also have the hood sitting a little higher using the little plastic rubbery screw on the driver's side. About a 1/4 inch of space between the bottom edge of the hood and the top of the headlight. I don't know if it actually works like a scoop or not.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’m going to have to try that intake mod

Reactions: HEMIWOT

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Not related really but I scored a new open box bbk 85mm throttle body for $360 (normal price $490) and picked up a new AFE momentum intake for the 6.4 manifold for $350 (normal price $480). Saved $260 so couldn’t pass it up. Now just have to get the 6.4 manifold and wiring components

Reactions: Jmata7 and HEMIWOT

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not related really but I scored a new open box bbk 85mm throttle body for $360 (normal price $490) and picked up a new AFE momentum intake for the 6.4 manifold for $350 (normal price $480). Saved $260 so couldn’t pass it up. Now just have to get the 6.4 manifold and wiring components
Nice! The BBK is a larger bore all the way through. The openings to both the 5.7 and 6.4 intake manifold are a hair shy of 85mm. Didn't have anything to accurately measure it but I'd guess like 84.5mm or something like that. That's why I didn't go bigger. Don't thinks it's necessary until force induction to go any bigger imo.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could pull the air box out and make a quick run. Just to see if it’s limiting anything.
I might try this!!!! Haven’t thought of it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could pull the air box out and make a quick run. Just to see if it’s limiting anything.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive battery

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Carbon Rim

I’ve done this too keep intake temps down.

Custom fab out of aluminum and lined with heat shield around the entire intake box. Always wondered if this hurt my flow. I also added a shield where the stock intake inlet tube is. You can see the two silver rivets in the second pic where it is.

thoughts were that the SRT hood would allow plenty of cool air in. Completely need to play with it.

This weekend I will be doing runs back to back, one with and one without. About to see what the deal is.

If anyone is wondering. I wouldn’t say the heat shield helped with intake temps. Save the $40….

Reactions: HEMIWOT and zwade

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Durango R/T
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Nice. I’m going to get the gold heat tape. I plan on doing tests to see what works on various things to keep IAT down. Using my code reader to monitor temps and then map out a specific drive and take the same drive before and after doing tape and other stuff. Interested to see if that’s working for you

·
Registered
427 Posts
Nice. I’m going to get the gold heat tape. I plan on doing tests to see what works on various things to keep IAT down. Using my code reader to monitor temps and then map out a specific drive and take the same drive before and after doing tape and other stuff. Interested to see if that’s working for you
View attachment 118439
View attachment 118440
View attachment 118441
I’ve done this too keep intake temps down.

Custom fab out of aluminum and lined with heat shield around the entire intake box. Always wondered if this hurt my flow. I also added a shield where the stock intake inlet tube is. You can see the two silver rivets in the second pic where it is.

thoughts were that the SRT hood would allow plenty of cool air in. Completely need to play with it.

This weekend I will be doing runs back to back, one with and one without. About to see what the deal is.

If anyone is wondering. I wouldn’t say the heat shield helped with intake temps. Save the $40….
You'll never get around heat soak. Sitting for to long will still get the temps way up. But when I first switched to the big filter I didn't have a heat shield, it was just connected to the tube sitting in that big open spot. There were huge fluctuations in the iat when just driving around. And it definitely wasn't "cooler" than my air box or current cai design. The way it is now, In the summer before I sat at a light too long, it would stay within 10-11 degrees of ambient. Now it'll stay within 8.

The trick is it has to be able to pull a good amount of air in from the outside somewhere. Our Durango's were not built with that in mind. Besides my modified hood "scoop" opening, there's no bottom to my heat shield. I also have a 2” silicon hose running from the lower grill up into my heat shield opening. I cut an opening in the plastic air dam next to the AC condenser, so the end of the hose faces out. Perfect ram air function. Even tested it with a fan just to see how it worked.

I've even thought of removing the fog light and using it like that like on the Challenger.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You'll never get around heat soak. Sitting for to long will still get the temps way up. But when I first switched to the big filter I didn't have a heat shield, it was just connected to the tube sitting in that big open spot. There were huge fluctuations in the iat when just driving around. And it definitely wasn't "cooler" than my air box or current cai design. The way it is now, In the summer before I sat at a light too long, it would stay within 10-11 degrees of ambient. Now it'll stay within 8.

The trick is it has to be able to pull a good amount of air in from the outside somewhere. Our Durango's were not built with that in mind. Besides my modified hood "scoop" opening, there's no bottom to my heat shield. I also have a 2” silicon hose running from the lower grill up into my heat shield opening. I cut an opening in the plastic air dam next to the AC condenser, so the end of the hose faces out. Perfect ram air function. Even tested it with a fan just to see how it worked.

I've even thought of removing the fog light and using it like that like on the Challenger.
I think you posted pics shady but I’m interested in seeing others.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
NICE!!!!
Looks like I got some fabricating to do this weekend. With that concept running right into the bottom of the extended heat shield I already made. Temps should be decent!

Thanks for the share!
Np.

I'd remove the plate blocking off the original scoop opening. That will get you some air from the outside too.

Reactions: Jmata7 and zwade

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's a 2 1/2” hose. Just measured again. Just fyi.

Reactions: Jmata7
41 - 60 of 85 Posts