Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any first hand experience with anyone who is NOT running OE Scorpion Verde All Season Run Flat tires on their SRT.

I am currently collecting all necessary components to upgrade to the Brembo calipers/rotors on my R/T. I have 20x10 wheels and want to purchase 295/45/20 tires but do not want the Pirelli’s. What is my next best option for a vehicle that is driven in NE Wisconsin that has some harsh winter weather at times?

Here is what I’m looking at (no specific order) with the different prices associated. I’ve done plenty of reading but want real world input. If there is another tire that is recommended, please share. Do the more expensive tires really make that big of a difference performance wise?

1. Michelin Sport A/S 3+ - $1,100
2. Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 - $1,300
3. Toyo Proxes STIII - $700
4. Yokohama Prada Spec-X - $700

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ran Grabber UHP's on my "sport truck" and I was very impressed. The truck was just as heavy as the DDSRT so they took the weight fine. They do have them in 295/45R20's. They did have great road grip in the dry AND in the wet. My biggest complaint was they were not symmetrical so you couldn't rotate them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the Grabber UHP but their treadwear rating was kind of low compared to the other tires I listed. Also, being directional and not being able to rotate was a drawback. Thanks for your input @Thetruck454!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I've had the Yokohama Prada Spec-X and now have the Toyo Proxes STIII's in 295/45/20. Both are great tires, but directional, I rotate front to back and at around 20,000 miles have them dismounted/remounted left to right.

Reactions: M-D-Z

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the Yokohama Prada Spec-X and now have the Toyo Proxes STIII's in 295/45/20. Both are great tires, but directional, I rotate front to back and at around 20,000 miles have them dismounted/remounted left to right.
Any winter weather driving experience? When you get them remounted and balanced has there ever been issues?

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I live in mid Pennsylvania and have driven in snow with the Yokohama's with no problem, haven't taken it out in snow this winter with the Toyo's. No issues getting them remounted/rebalanced, I do get them balanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer.

Reactions: awehlage

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have AS-3's on my Z06 for the winter, and I like them. I can't really compare them to the Scorpions on the SRT since the cars are so different and since the z06 never sees snow and rarely sees rain. But the AS-3's do retain traction in the cold weather, unlike the original SuperSports which become completely useless below 55 degrees, and which can crack below 32....(so they are now my track tires)

I have been happy with the Scorpions on the SRT but they only have 10K miles on them and we have had precisely zero inches of snow so far this winter.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I’d rather not go with directional tires although if looking at the price difference I could get almost two sets of tires compared to the Continentals. I’ve had Continentals in the past on a different vehicle with a 35 sidewall and they rode smooth and had the best all season rating I could get. Just wish they weren’t $330 a piece plus the mounting and balancing

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am looking for any first hand experience with anyone who is NOT running OE Scorpion Verde All Season Run Flat tires on their SRT.

I am currently collecting all necessary components to upgrade to the Brembo calipers/rotors on my R/T. I have 20x10 wheels and want to purchase 295/45/20 tires but do not want the Pirelli’s. What is my next best option for a vehicle that is driven in NE Wisconsin that has some harsh winter weather at times?

Here is what I’m looking at (no specific order) with the different prices associated. I’ve done plenty of reading but want real world input. If there is another tire that is recommended, please share. Do the more expensive tires really make that big of a difference performance wise?

1. Michelin Sport A/S 3+ - $1,100
2. Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 - $1,300
3. Toyo Proxes STIII - $700
4. Yokohama Prada Spec-X - $700

Thanks!

I have the Yokohama Prada Spec-X's on my SRT wheels and really like them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just ordered off Amazon Toyo Proxes ST all season 295x45x20 for $132 each. Had pretty good reviews from some SRT drivers so we will see.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The oems wear pretty quickly and are pricey because of the run flat and pirelli...I'm on my second set of 3 season and soon to run out of the winter scorp in 19,000. miles.....lets see 4 sets of tires over 9 grand after all is mounted, balanced,tpms ect....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just curious why you dont want Pirellis?
Other than traction, lifetime, ride, and cost I'm fine with Pirelli. They were selected by FCA only because both are Italian companies, not because they were the best choice. My all-season Pirellis are OK, but I'm planning to ditch them in another year or so. Figure they'll be pretty worn out when they have 25k-30k miles, from what others have said. I'll go with aggressive-tread-pattern all-season non-run-flat 305s, hopefully with higher wear rating. Lastly, I'd like a tire brand that doesn't sound like a brand of pasta. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What size did you go with and how is the ride?
295/45/20

They are nice. Maybe a little bit more road noise but when you add 2” of tread on the width of the setup that might be expected?!? By no means is it horrible or intolerable. The exhaust takes care of any ambient noise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks great, let us know how they perform in snow. They seem well rated but i went crazy reading reviews and doing my homework on what wheels to buy for the srt rims i bought. I made myself crazy trying to really make the best choice. I picked the continentals finally after days and days of reading anything i could find on the internet. Right before I bought them something told me to save the money and go with the yoko's pradas, so glad i did!! Great in snow and love these tires!

·
Registered
732 Posts
The oems wear pretty quickly and are pricey because of the run flat and pirelli...I'm on my second set of 3 season and soon to run out of the winter scorp in 19,000. miles.....lets see 4 sets of tires over 9 grand after all is mounted, balanced,tpms ect....
Wait, you're on your second set of tires with how many miles? My first set lasted close to 30k but I had two replaced due to damage so not sure how much longer they would have gone. I also do a lot of highway driving. I'm coming up on 30k for the second set. We had a bad storm the other night and truck seemed to drift and hydroplane more than usual so might be time to replace them. I have a 3rd set on standby that I picked up from a member here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wait, you're on your second set of tires with how many miles? My first set lasted close to 30k but I had two replaced due to damage so not sure how much longer they would have gone. I also do a lot of highway driving. I'm coming up on 30k for the second set. We had a bad storm the other night and truck seemed to drift and hydroplane more than usual so might be time to replace them. I have a 3rd set on standby that I picked up from a member here.
Only 30k wear on tires is too low for my taste. I put all-season tires on my previous Durangos that went 45-50k+. They were rated 60k-70k. I put a lot of miles on, and with 30k tires I'd be replacing them every 15-18 months.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts