Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm doing some research and I want some help from those in here that do heavy towing.

In the not very near future, I am looking at a Ram 2500 or 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins--because Mopar or no car, of course. I will probably be sticking with 2WD and definitely a Crew Cab.

If I do this I will be trading my open car trailer for an enclose trailer, possibly big enough for 2 vehicles. I don't feel comfortable pulling 10,000lbs on a bumper pull so that brings up the discussion of gooseneck vs 5th wheel.

I have watched videos and read articles reviewing both methods but what does THIS group think? Which do you prefer, and which would you recommend?

Anyone have issues with the 6ft bed and 5th wheel--with and without a slider?

Is the 8ft bed "mandatory" for the 5th wheel?

What are the real-world pros and cons of both?

Also what features do you have that you can't live and tow without? Or features you wish you got in your 2500/3500?

And discuss.....

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My friends dad always swore by the fifth wheel. Good enough for a semi, good enough for me

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The gooseneck will probably work better it a shortbed because it's generally pizza shaped. There is no real difference between the 2500/3500 other then overload springs on the 3500. Which will give a higher tow rating with no change in ride quality empty. I had an 03 2500 Cummins QCSB 6spd. I only ever bumper pulled boats and my '68 Firebird.

Reactions: Bryali

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gooseneck will probably work better it a shortbed.....There is no real difference between the 2500/3500 other than.....a higher tow rating.....

This is a huge part of my decision point.

I would probably use this hypothetical truck daily so getting an 8ft bed would be a little much for the handful of times I would possibly need the 5th wheel over the gooseneck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dad always goes with 8' beds. Personally they drive me crazy. Makes for one loooong truck and I don't care for the looks.

The 6.5' bed works fine. Sliding hitches as you mentioned are also available to minimize risk of hitting the rear of your cab.

I have a B&W hitch custom mounted in my 1500 short bed (like 6.2 I think) and like that the ball is always there if I need it but its reversed and hidden so I can load everything else in the bed I need to. Only have used it once with a gooseneck dumb trailer and it worked great.

·
Super Moderator
12,819 Posts
Offline, Lauren suggested making sure the geometry of the short bed is compatible with the proposed trailer.

She's seen horse trailers where not much turn and the trailer smashes into the cab with a short bed setup.

Reactions: Bryali

·
Registered
280 Posts
all things being equal, the 3500 will hold its value better than the 2500. It also probably won't be that much different of a ride but will probably have more box/cab/config options because 3500s outsell 2500s by a substantial amount.

Would not do a 5' bed if you plan to put a hitch in the bed. You're going to end up too far behind the rear axle with a sliding hitch setup and your truck window is at risk with tight maneuvers backing up. The 6.5' bed is minimum I would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts