Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, l purposefully didn't use this vs. that, because I don't want it to be some kind of chest pounding competition, but an attempt at an objective comparison of equipment, components, tuning, etc., but also just wanted to think out loud about the "value proposition" (hahaha, yeah, "value" ... :D)

Quick setup: currently own, coming off lease in ~3 months, a '18 RT/AWD (Blacktop/Cap Chairs/Beats/Tow package), love it, thinking of another one for my primary ride (vs. it being the lesser used "family/tow/utility" car). My main ride is a '19 GT convertible, tuned/mods, Perf Pack/MagneRide/Safe&Smart/B&O audio (i.e., I get the desire for performance). I'm also excited about the option for "active damping" in the DD, the MagRide on my GT is spectacular, performs and rides better.

So clearly, the TnG package, closes a bunch of the gap between the RT and the SRT. Let's get the most conspicuous difference out of the way right up front: the SRT 6.4L has 475 HP / 470 lb-ft TQ vs. the RT at 360 / 390. That's +115HP and +80 lb-ft TQ advantage for the SRT for the price difference.

Of course, back when I got ours, there was no TnG, so there was a ton of other equipment that was less performance or missing: Wheels/Tires, Brakes, Suspension, Tuning / Performance Electronics, Tow capacity. That used to be ~$18K between a closely option matched RT and SRT.

But now, with the TnG, we get this, for ~$5K:
  • Maximum Towing 8,700 Pounds
  • Black Six-Piston Brembo Front Brakes
  • Black Four-Piston Brembo Rear Brakes
  • Bilstein® Active Damping High Performance Suspension
  • Electronic Limited Slip Rear Axle
  • 20x10-Inch Hyper Black Wheels with Pirelli® Scorpion Zero Run Flat 295 Tires
  • Wide Body Flares
  • Performance Exhaust
  • Hard Button Drive Modes (Track, Tow, Snow)
  • Class IV Trailer Hitch
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Active Noise Cancelling
  • Automatic Headlamp Leveling
  • Compact Spare Tire
  • Maximum Speed 145 MPH
Both the RT and SRT have the option for a "blackout" package (slightly different price and equipment, but more or less the same net result), and matching prices for the safety package, the blind spot option, the upgraded audio, the 2nd row center storage/armrest).

Captains chairs are an option in the RT, when that's added, the '21 model also requires an interior upgrade to the Premier interior, so it's' technically a $2770 option group.

I really dig on the red calipers, so that's a small upcharge to the RT/TnG.

(FYI, the current configurator allows you to add the 2nd row console without selecting Caps Chairs, that conflicts with the brochure and wasn't the case in '18 ...)

How this shakes down: an RT/AWD, with TnG, Cap Chairs vs. an SRT with the Tow package is pretty much matching options (the other options are roughly the same, so the price difference doesn't really change), and that makes the difference ~$10K. I'll be honest, the engine alone will probably convince me, but I still wanted to go through this mental exercise :D

Is there anything else, outside of the engine difference, about these two, with these options that is notably different?

Is the SRT "base" interior better in way vs. the RT with CCs + Premier interior? Better bolstering? Visually it looks like red vs. light gray stitching (SRT). If you option the RT with the Leather Trimmed seats ($995), does that compare more to the base SRT seats? Bummer the SRT doesn't offer red interior as a free option (like some other Dodge models).

Meatier steering wheel in the SRT, and aluminum pedals. Looks like the rear wing is a little more of an aggressive design on the SRT too.

Is it true that the SRT/392 shares the rebound springs and upper mounts with the SRT Hellcat? So potentially better [handling] performance over the RT?

Also, don't get me wrong, I get the badge factor for SRT products, you know like Ford ST/RS/Shelby, for some folks, that's an enhancement to the overall ownership experience.

Reactions: hamada128

·
Registered
64 Posts
Captains chairs are an option in the RT, when that's added, the '21 model also requires an interior upgrade to the Premier interior, so it's' technically a $2770 option group.
You are correct - the configurator forces it. But you CAN in fact order the captains chair configuration without the premium interior if the dealer marks a custom order as a sold vehicle... that's exactly what I did.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quick setup: currently own, coming off lease in ~3 months, a '18 RT/AWD (Blacktop/Cap Chairs/Beats/Tow package), love it, thinking of another one for my primary ride (vs. it being the lesser used "family/tow/utility" car). My main ride is a '19 GT convertible, tuned/mods, Perf Pack/MagneRide/Safe&Smart/B&O audio (i.e., I get the desire for performance). I'm also excited about the option for "active damping" in the DD, the MagRide on my GT is spectacular, performs and rides better.

But now, with the TnG, we get this, for ~$5K:
  • Maximum Towing 8,700 Pounds
  • Black Six-Piston Brembo Front Brakes
  • Black Four-Piston Brembo Rear Brakes
  • Bilstein® Active Damping High Performance Suspension
  • Electronic Limited Slip Rear Axle
  • 20x10-Inch Hyper Black Wheels with Pirelli® Scorpion Zero Run Flat 295 Tires
  • Wide Body Flares
  • Performance Exhaust
  • Hard Button Drive Modes (Track, Tow, Snow)
  • Class IV Trailer Hitch
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Active Noise Cancelling
  • Automatic Headlamp Leveling
  • Compact Spare Tire
Is there anything else, outside of the engine difference, about these two, with these options that is notably different?
GM’s magnetorheological shocks on your GT are superior to FCA’s Active Damping. Don’t expect the same results

Automatic headlight leveling has been on Durango for a long time. It’s not new or exclusive to SRT or TNG

SRT has 3.70 axle ratio vs 3.09 in TNG

The biggest blunder with the SRT & TNG is that they get the weaker single speed MP3010 transfer case vs the 5.7’s stronger two-speed MP3023

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest blunder with the SRT & TNG is that they get the weaker single speed MP3010 transfer case vs the 5.7’s stronger two-speed MP3022
You're saying that even though the TnG retains the 5.7L, is has a different transmission? It loses the 2-speed transfer case setup?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
252 Posts
The RT has it's own transmission, shared with the V6 I believe, and runs a 2 speed transfer case. The SRT gets a better transmission and a single speed transfer case. The Tow N Go uses the RT transmission and the single speed transfer case. I do not have a Tow N Go but that is what I've read about them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The RT has it's own transmission, shared with the V6 I believe, and runs a 2 speed transfer case. The SRT gets a better transmission and a single speed transfer case. The Tow N Go uses the RT transmission and the single speed transfer case.
Yeah, I assumed that was the case, since the TnG is an RT 5.7L car with some additional equipment, I was confused by the post I quoted above. Even on Dodge marketing materials they specifically ID the RT as having a two-speed AWD system:

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE (AWD) /// Durango was built to conquer the conditions. This available AWD system leverages the SUV’s 50/50 weight distribution to enhance the vehicle’s traction and handling. The result is a smooth driving experience over a wide range of road conditions. Durango offers three AWD systems — a Performance-tuned system for the 6.4L HEMI® V8 engine, a two-speed, active on-demand system for the 5.7L HEMI V8 engine and a singlespeed, full-time system for the 3.6L Pentastar® V6 engine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 5.7 does not have the same trans as the 3.6 V6. It has the german made 8HP70. The 3.6 gets the 845RE. Also, the R/T with tow package (not TNG) gets the MP3025. Not MP3022. Anyways, the MP3010 is a great transfer case which is the same as in the SRT and the SRT8. It provides the variable torque split (drive modes) as well as limited slip diff. I personally would prefer this for driver feel over the low range that I would never use.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Also, the R/T with tow package (not TNG) gets the MP3025. Not MP3022. Anyways, the MP3010 is a great transfer case which is the same as in the SRT and the SRT8. It provides the variable torque split (drive modes) as well as limited slip diff. I personally would prefer this for driver feel over the low range that I would never use.

I meant MP3023. Good catch, looks like 2021 is the first year of the new transfer case. They replaced the MP3023 with an even stronger MP3025.

The MP3010 is fine with the 3.6 (260 lb-ft) but has been problematic with the 6.4 (470 lb-ft). We know the clutch packs don’t hold up in the SRT, so the real question will be if the 5.7 (390 lb-ft) being right in the middle powewise, is also too much torque for it or not

·
Registered
174 Posts
I meant MP3023. Good catch, looks like 2021 is the first year of the new transfer case. They replaced the MP3023 with an even stronger MP3025.

The MP3010 is fine with the 3.6 (260 lb-ft) but has been problematic with the 6.4 (470 lb-ft). We know the clutch packs don’t hold up in the SRT, so the real question will be if the 5.7 (390 lb-ft) being right in the middle powewise, is also too much torque for it or not
So how are they using the MP3010 in the 640 ft-lb hellcat? It must be a very small percentage of failures...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personally would prefer this for driver feel over the low range that I would never use.
Yeah, it's funny, I haven't put our current RT in low range in well over a year, the only place I would in the past, is just to use it on the beach (mostly not needed for where we drive).

So the other day, we popped over to the beach, drove around the backside, haven't been there in easily a year, if not two, it's been inaccessible due to storm damage, etc., just nuts, I was surprised that can you can no longer drive all the way around, the ocean now forms a small inlet up against a new jetty.

Put ours into low-range for the heck of it, the weather was super overcast and it was chilly, but it was still really nice (and quiet ...), and I took the opp to shoot a pic :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kind of leaning towards the SRT, all the small things, plus the major engine difference, especially since we've already owned an RT. I love the TnG, it definitely makes the decision much closer, but since it's kind of the same thing again, I think I want to go with more of a change.

Side note: WITF do dealers order SRTs, loaded with $8K of options, but without the tow package[?] Especially on a vehicle that has a primary marketing focus on the towing capabilities.

Honestly, at $65K+, the SRT should just come with the towing package standard, it's nicely hidden behind that cosmetic cover so it doesn't detract from the styling, and can you imagine, even if it was just one or two times, having this big, powerful, tow capably vehicle ... but not being able to even hook up a little trailer to bring home some mulch :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kind of leaning towards the SRT, all the small things, plus the major engine difference, especially since we've already owned an RT. I love the TnG, it definitely makes the decision much closer, but since it's kind of the same thing again, I think I want to go with more of a change.

Side note: WITF do dealers order SRTs, loaded with $8K of options, but without the tow package[?] Especially on a vehicle that has a primary marketing focus on the towing capabilities.

Honestly, at $65K+, the SRT should just come with the towing package standard, it's nicely hidden behind that cosmetic cover so it doesn't detract from the styling, and can you imagine, even if it was just one or two times, having this big, powerful, tow capably vehicle ... but not being able to even hook up a little trailer to bring home some mulch :D
HUGE MISTAKE to go with the SRT!

JK. SRT will be sweeeet. However, the way my wife and I drive the TNG hit the sweet spot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
HUGE MISTAKE to go with the SRT!

JK. SRT will be sweeeet. However, the way my wife and I drive the TNG hit the sweet spot.
Hahaha, yeah, there's a ton of IFs where I'd be leaning towards the RT: IF I didn't have one before, IF it was the "family" vehicle again vs. my primary driver, to the latter point, IF I wasn't coming from a performance car. I feel like the SRT will be both objectively useful and fill the required functionality and subjectively, push my buttons for a high-er-ish performance vehicle that's, give or take, around the same performance as my GT (the GT is certainly lighter, but the gearing/AWD/HP/TQ favor the SRT).

We'll see though, we work out of the house (I mean, always have, pre-Covid), so our cars tend to mostly just sit, so my frugality might kick in and tell me to save the $10K on something that gets driven once a week and put that money towards a new boat (or just throw it out the window, same difference ... :D)

·
Registered
64 Posts
To be honest, the thing that drove me to the TNG instead of the SRT was the seats. The sport seats look great but over the course of a long drive they start to feel a bit cramped. My wife hates them - says they hurt. So why buy a long-haul tow/travel vehicle if it isn't going to be comfortable. That, plus the SRT motor would definitely get me in big trouble with the law.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To be honest, the thing that drove me to the TNG instead of the SRT was the seats. The sport seats look great but over the course of a long drive they start to feel a bit cramped. My wife hates them - says they hurt. So why buy a long-haul tow/travel vehicle if it isn't going to be comfortable. That, plus the SRT motor would definitely get me in big trouble with the law.
Interesting. I need to sit in an SRT. The one gripe i have with the RT TNG is that I slide around in the seats. im 6'1" 175lbs. Its made for those plus size americans lol. My daily driver is a MK7 GTI and the seats hug me perfectly. I don't move a bit and don't have a cramped feeling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah I'm 5'10" and more like 240-250 on any given day. I should be down around 220 for my build. The SRT seats were okay for me. But I can see where my wife is coming from. The typical sport seat (SRT included) cuts into her hips. I came from the Audi world, and you used to be able to order their S cars with the "normal" seats. That was the perfect setup for us.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll have to sit it one, that's good input. I mean, in general, my wife is pretty OK with a more "sporty" experience, heck, she rode around in cars with Recaros and Sparcos :D She's VERY enthusiastic about supporting my "car thing" (when I got my Z06, she's the one that encouraged, and then setup the details for a museum delivery).

Interesting. I need to sit in an SRT. The one gripe i have with the RT TNG is that I slide around in the seats. im 6'1" 175lbs. Its made for those plus size americans lol. My daily driver is a MK7 GTI and the seats hug me perfectly. I don't move a bit and don't have a cramped feeling.
OK, I'm a little freaked out now, because the 2nd/backup car we've talked about, it's a new GTI ... :oops:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts