Dodge Durango Forum banner

2023 Dodge Durango Hellcat - A Last Hurrah?

60K views 397 replies 59 participants last post by  Vice-White 
#1 ·
Most of you are in one of the four Durango Hellcat groups on Facebook so this isn't new, but I wanted to start a thread to hopefully keep updated with any relevant information.

Let me add to the rumor mill a bit with a discovery over the weekend. While checking a VIN for a DDHC being parted out by Schram Auto Parts I noticed it was actually a 2023 model. Naturally, I dug a bit deeper and found at least 14 2023 Dodge Durango Hellcats that Dodge produced as "vehicle development pilots." Why would Dodge build pilot vehicles with 2023 VIN numbers? Was 2023 the original model year planned for the DDHC and Dodge pivoted and pulled it forward to 2021 and as such all other pilot vehicle VINs are 2021s as they were produced after the 2023s?
Who knows, but here is a little bit more about how these 2023 pilots were configured...
  • All of them list Rear Seat Reminder Alert as standard (new feature)
  • Half were White Knuckle while the other half were DB Black
  • All but one was built with Demonic Red Leather
  • The only option on the one with Black interior was the Lightweight Package
  • All of them had Blind Spot / Cross Path as standard (similar to 2022)
  • All but the one with zero options were built with sunroofs, roof rails, roof cross bars, cargo compartment shade, and the Trailer Tow IV group.
  • Some were built with Forged Carbon Fiber Interior Accents but not the rest of the Premium Interior Group features
  • All of them had a "Restricted Models/Options" line item
  • No differences listed for engine, transmission, driveline, etc. (same as 2021 build sheets)
  • These will not be saleable units as Dodge has several rounds of pre-production builds, with the last round usually having some saleable units closer to production (similar to the 2021 DDHC pre-production units that have been hitting the auto auction scene with 500XXX VINs).
I wouldn't get too excited about this discovery, but it may be another small hint of a last hurrah for the DDHC in 2023. I guess we will have to see what they announce in the middle of August when they talk more about future models.

Font Rectangle Art Brand Parallel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
VIN:​
1C4SDJH95PC500041​
In Service Date:​
February 10, 2022​
Year/Model:​
2023 DODGE DURANGO SRT HELLCAT AWD​

The Service Library for 2022 Dodge Durango did not have the 6.2 engine listed, now it does:eek:

3QM​
VPC/S1C Pilot Order Tracking​
4BAA​
Company Car Tracking​
4BDP​
Domestic Pilot Orders​
4L3​
Low Option Content Tracking 1​
799​
Vehicle Development Pilot Order​
875P​
United States Region Group​

#9 ·
VIN:​
1C4SDJH95PC500041​
In Service Date:​
February 10, 2022​
Year/Model:​
2023 DODGE DURANGO SRT HELLCAT AWD​

The Service Library for 2022 Dodge Durango did not have the 6.2 engine listed, now it does:eek:

3QM​
VPC/S1C Pilot Order Tracking​
4BAA​
Company Car Tracking​
4BDP​
Domestic Pilot Orders​
4L3​
Low Option Content Tracking 1​
799​
Vehicle Development Pilot Order​
875P​
United States Region Group​

Also curious, development vehicles for their direct connection upgrades and meeting epa requirements which has held it up?

#4 ·
It looks no different than the 2021 model. The only things Schram has available are the rear hatch, doors, mirrors, taillights, Uconnect screen and button module.
Many of the early pilot build vehicles will be sold to local salvage yards in Michigan to part out. That is of course after the automaker removes anything they don't want to end up in public hands.
This is how I got a darn near perfect set of 2015 JGC SRT front seats (from VIN #15) with video monitors to swap into my 2014 JGC SRT.

#6 ·
If Mother Mopar comes out with a 23' HellCat Durango it would be cool but not on my radar unless;

1. Red Eye version for the Durango
2. Anti Theft system that actually works
3. Dealers are told they cannot abuse customers by selling it over sticker price.
4. < 200 made
5. Numbered edition

#11 ·
I think this is all a dream... No offense to anyone. Durango production for 2023 is only going to run for two quarters before the 2024 start rolling out of MACK Assembly. The "new" Durango will be based on the same platform as the new Jeep. You may be able to get a HEMI in the 5.7 version as it is currently available in the Jeep. The handwriting is on the wall that the new I6 is going to replace the HEMI and 2024 is going to be that last year of production.

#15 ·
No updates on the rumor besides what has been posted so far. We might know more with Dodge's pending announcements scheduled during Dodge Speed Week on August 15-20 from M1 Concourse and during the Woodward Dream Cruise. I guess there is a preview of the speed week events on August 12.

Dodge Planning Three Reveals
  • Monday, August 15 – Current muscle announcements
  • Tuesday, August 16 – Gateway muscle announcement
  • Wednesday, August 17 – Future muscle announcement

Reactions: wvhemis
#22 ·
Big Dodge Reveal coming on the 16th.
Website just says Welcome to the Hive"Coming in 2023"
Sounds like some kind of SuperBee pkg.
Most likely the Dodge Hornet CUV/SUV but we will see in a few days.

#21 ·
I'd buy a Hurricane powered Durango SRT, though I wonder what it would sound like. Maybe that's the SuperBee? Turbo whine = buzz?

#27 ·
i would have take plum crazy

curious if have to stick to certain packages

Enthusiasts will have more options to personalize the 2023 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat with available Plus and Premium packages that deliver even more content. The Plus package for the Durango SRT Hellcat includes high-performance Laguna leather seats, trailer tow group, a power sunroof and adaptive and advanced safety features.

The Premium package adds to the Plus features with red seatbelts, a leather-wrapped instrument panel, carbon fiber interior accents and a Harman Kardon 19-speaker sound system.

#29 ·
Mixed emotions on this one. Feel bad for you guys that invested in a 1 year only model but thrilled to be able to order a 2023. I remember the thrill and exclusivity of getting one of the first challenger widebody hellcats in 2018 only to be followed by the disappointment of Dodge producing scat pack widebody's with the same hood and fender flares. Kinda felt like a punch to the gut, but I guess that's the car business! Dodge really should work out a better plan to preserve the exclusivity of certain SRT models. Will any of the you current owners trade up for a 2023? Big thanks to CWGrizzwold, very patient, knowledgeable and helpful guy on this forum. He had an inkling something was coming for the Durango.

#35 ·
I don't expect Dodge to unleash a wave of new options for the 2023 model year. Power folding mirrors won't happen, sorry. I want them as bad as you. One new feature seems to be Rear Seat Reminder Alert.
Hopefully, they will have Black Laguna Leather available . . .
Don't hold your breath. I don't see them doing any different interior color combos to what they offered in 2021.

Do you know the color palette for 2023? Sorry to hear about your B5 blue experience. I must say though, your F8 green color looks fantastic on the Durango.
As @frictioncircle mentioned it looks like at least B5 Blue will be added to the color palette since they took the time to badly photoshop some of the press images from last year in B5 Blue for the 2023 release.

Here is the official press release. The Cat Is Back: 2023 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat — Most Powerful SUV Ever — Returns to Dodge Lineup

#37 ·
Kinda wish they would have done a redeye and I wouldn't have been mad (and a tan interior). It does suck for those who paid over or bought into marketing/collectible aspect. The last 2 years of car prices has skewed so much. The inflation cost on these will be high.

Could be worse, like never making one in the first place. I see Facebook is blowing up with lawsuit talks (which won't happen, just marketing). "Or I'll sell it, that will show them (no, they have your money already). I can't think of a more a do-everything vehicle which i'm happy to drive every mile i've put on it.

Only thing annoying is, release those promised security updates, key fob lockdown, and factory upgrades. (maybe less people will want to steal them if they make more? 🤣 ) Get an engineer on those instead of tweaking the gas tank and canister. :p

Plus side, if anyone wrecks or get stolen. You get a 2nd chance at replacing.

#49 ·
Welp, I have some mixed feelings. I didn't get mine with the intention of flipping it. I bought it to enjoy and man, do I enjoy it! However, it kinda stings. I thought it might hold it's value so that if I croak my wife might be able to realize a better than average resale. That looks less likely now. But it is still a great ride.