Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking at getting an SXT but wondering if I need to spend the extra $13k to get the RT for the additional towing capacity.

I’ll be towing a 2 horse bumper pull trailer at around 2800 lbs, and horse around 1200 and supplies that’s an additional 800. That’s a total of 4800 and the SXT can tow 6200 BUT the horse will move around which means weight will be shifting which needs to be considered.

Can I safely tow that with an SXT. If not, will the 2022 RT be able to do it WITHOUT the $5500 tow n go?package?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
142 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you get one with the Trailer Tow Group IV package. Some people get swindled by the dealer saying "Oh, we can just add that later" but it will save you headache, time and a lot of money to buy one with the tow package installed from the factory.

Admittedly, I've never towed a horse box, but just looking at the numbers, I'd personally be comfortable with the SXT as long as you're fairly certain about the weights. Last thing you want is to buy the car and then realize you'd underestimated the weights.

The R/T (or V-8 Citadel) could definitely handle it...the Hemi has great power. The R/T Tow N Go would not be necessary for this setup. Truth be told the TNG is more marketing than tow ability when you start looking at large/heavy trailers, but I'll admit the Brembo brakes, limited slip diff, drive modes, and SRT exhaust are probably worth the price of admission!

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
Definitely need factory tow, you're limited to 3500 without it.

Reactions: Moose135

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely need factory tow, you're limited to 3500 without it.
So this is what I am confused about. I am looking at the GT Plus and everything I have read says it can tow to 6200. But I've seen on some forums that people say if you don't have the tow and go package that you are limited to 3500. Which is it? I want to be able to tow a travel trailer between 4,000 and 5,000 lbs. Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
137 Posts
So this is what I am confused about. I am looking at the GT Plus and everything I have read says it can tow to 6200. But I've seen on some forums that people say if you don't have the tow and go package that you are limited to 3500. Which is it? I want to be able to tow a travel trailer between 4,000 and 5,000 lbs. Thank you!
Factory equipped towing on a GT came with a heavy duty radiator to help keep things cool while towing 6200 lbs. If you get the tow package added after the fact then 3500 lbs is max.

FYI this is from the 2017 owners manual. Note that the standard cooling reduces towing capacity. I guess you could swap in the updated radiator but that is more hassle than it is worth so just best to get a durango with factory towing included rather than retrofit if you plan on towing heavy loads. So on the 3.6 durango it is cooling that drops the capacity...not brakes or load leveling shocks.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Pattern

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
142 Posts
No no, you're confusing 2 separate packages. The "Trailer Tow Group IV" is the factory tow package that gets you 6200 lbs on the V-6 and 7200 lbs on the V-8. The "Tow N Go" package is only available on the R/T and increases tow rating from 7200 to 8700.

The V-6 models are only rated for 3500 lbs from the factory UNLESS the towing packages is equipped from the factory. It it not a dealer add-on that can be installed after the car is delivered. It most be installed at the factory to get the 6200 rating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts