-Rear Left tweet/6"
-Rear Right tweet/6"
-Left storage 3.5"
-Right storage 3.5"
-Sub voicecoil 1
-Sub voicecoil 2
-unused - 2 pins not used from amp.
Possibly the 12th channel
So I've been taking this apart now for several weeks and this makes me want to go back and check the OHMs of each speaker. What documentation I have show that the amp is a 2ohm amp across the board. But I checked the OHM's of the subs and each coil of the sub was 4 ohms.

This really put's a wrench in my documentation and I need to go back and make sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a few other vehicles with the 5", 8" and 12" screen. Ram and Charger. These are the same.
View attachment 120942
View attachment 120934
I love this box, do you think you could give me measurements? I'm going to build a top firing model with a wire frame or something. I hate the down facing subs it comes with and I think I'm going to pair it with 2 shallow mount 12" subs.

·
Registered
2022 Durango RT, Tow N Go, Blacktop Pkg
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I've been taking this apart now for several weeks and this makes me want to go back and check the OHMs of each speaker. What documentation I have show that the amp is a 2ohm amp across the board. But I checked the OHM's of the subs and each coil of the sub was 4 ohms.

This really put's a wrench in my documentation and I need to go back and make sure.
I tested the door speakers and they came out to 4 ohms as well. I was expecting 2 ohm like the Alpine system. But since the door 3.5" and tweet are on the same channel, that gives the amp a 2 ohm load, if they are wired parallel. Same for the rear doors.

But the front door 6x9 and dash 3.5" also measured at 4 ohms. Well, technically like 3.8 to 3.9.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I love this box, do you think you could give me measurements? I'm going to build a top firing model with a wire frame or something. I hate the down facing subs it comes with and I think I'm going to pair it with 2 shallow mount 12" subs.
When I get back home, I can. We are out of town for a couple more days.

Gross airspace is 1.70cu.ft. With braces and sub displacement, it nets about 1.5. I tuned the port to around 32hz. I was a bit nervous since these subs sound best with aboit 1.5 each, ported, but graphs showed the same response a s asealed box and the port increased the output still. Sounds really good. Just not the real lowe end extension I love.

I used WinISD (free) and TermLABS for box designing. Mainly to graph the response and port tuning/size.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I tested the door speakers and they came out to 4 ohms as well. I was expecting 2 ohm like the Alpine system. But since the door 3.5" and tweet are on the same channel, that gives the amp a 2 ohm load, if they are wired parallel. Same for the rear doors.

But the front door 6x9 and dash 3.5" also measured at 4 ohms. Well, technically like 3.8 to 3.9.
So I must confess, I didn't believe you... I just was drinking the "Dodge Koolaid" and said "no way they could just be outright lying to us". But they were in fact lying to us - at least with what random information they've put out.

So I had the speakers I pulled out, and I tested all 5 speakers this car has. I can confirm: All speakers in this car are 4ohm loads, except the Sub which is 2 4ohm voice coils, that can be wired to either 2 or 8ohm load for the whole speaker. This caused me to go back to the car and start tearing out the amp...

And I thought I had the 12 channels all figured out, and in fact you are correct. This is a 12 channel amp, that can support "2 ohms" per "channel" (if you open up the amp and look at the circuit board it even shows 2ohm loads) where 1 channel isn't used. Each front door gets 2 channels, and each rear door gets 1 channel. The rear d-frame gets 1 channel per speaker and the center dash gets one channel... the sub gets 2 independent channels. It is also possible looking at the setup that this is a 9 channel amp, where they've done some clever circuitry to get 12 OUTPUTS off of 9 channels. I would think (based on what I saw today) what is actually happening is the 2 rear door speakers (1 output each) and the 2 shared front door speakers (1 output each) are from the SAME CHANNEL on the internal amp and are wired in a series internally bringing the total resistance to 4 ohm's internally. This would put everything on a 4 ohm load.

I'm blown away at how "undocumented" this thing is and how "silly" they've built it. I really think with all of the time and circuity put into this they could have just asked JL, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, or any of these other companies to just put in their best component systems with a dedicated amp and been so much better off and cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I must confess, I didn't believe you... I just was drinking the "Dodge Koolaid" and said "no way they could just be outright lying to us". But they were in fact lying to us - at least with what random information they've put out.

So I had the speakers I pulled out, and I tested all 5 speakers this car has. I can confirm: All speakers in this car are 4ohm loads, except the Sub which is 2 4ohm voice coils, that can be wired to either 2 or 8ohm load for the whole speaker. This caused me to go back to the car and start tearing out the amp...

And I thought I had the 12 channels all figured out, and in fact you are correct. This is a 12 channel amp, that can support "2 ohms" per "channel" (if you open up the amp and look at the circuit board it even shows 2ohm loads) where 1 channel isn't used. Each front door gets 2 channels, and each rear door gets 1 channel. The rear d-frame gets 1 channel per speaker and the center dash gets one channel... the sub gets 2 independent channels. It is also possible looking at the setup that this is a 9 channel amp, where they've done some clever circuitry to get 12 OUTPUTS off of 9 channels. I would think (based on what I saw today) what is actually happening is the 2 rear door speakers (1 output each) and the 2 shared front door speakers (1 output each) are from the SAME CHANNEL on the internal amp and are wired in a series internally bringing the total resistance to 4 ohm's internally. This would put everything on a 4 ohm load.

I'm blown away at how "undocumented" this thing is and how "silly" they've built it. I really think with all of the time and circuity put into this they could have just asked JL, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, or any of these other companies to just put in their best component systems with a dedicated amp and been so much better off and cheaper.
This amp appears to be the same amp as the Alpine. I had the Alpine in my 2019 Ram and all 3 same connections. The Ram Alpine has 9 speakers and a sub. 3 in the dash, one in each door and 2 in the rear headliner.

It does seem they added speakers, rewired, and used 4 ohm speakers to match the 2ohm amp power load design. Also explains why both systems are rated at the same 800 watts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This amp appears to be the same amp as the Alpine. I had the Alpine in my 2019 Ram and all 3 same connections. The Ram Alpine has 9 speakers and a sub. 3 in the dash, one in each door and 2 in the rear headliner.

It does seem they added speakers, rewired, and used 4 ohm speakers to match the 2ohm amp power load design. Also explains why both systems are rated at the same 800 watts.
Honestly, this makes me feel even more like I got ripped for that extra $995... I might actually call Dodge and ask for a explanation or even consider working on a class action lawsuit. I feel like we got a $12 upgrade that they charged nearly 100x that for.

It's just not acceptable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Honestly, this makes me feel even more like I got ripped for that extra $995... I might actually call Dodge and ask for a explanation or even consider working on a class action lawsuit. I feel like we got a $12 upgrade that they charged nearly 100x that for.

It's just not acceptable.
I was not impressed by the HK or even the Alpine. The only difference I visuly see are the speakers between these 2 systems. And most likely the amp or radio gets a different processor tuning. To me, the HK speakers blend frequencies together too much. Not much clarity for mids and highs. Midbass and low bass sound grainy and muddy.

Speakers alone cleaned up a good amount of this. Adding the DSR1 and amps helped with the rest. But I am not liking the DSR1 very much. It seems to lower midbass during the summing process. I am constantly adjusting settings to bring back the midbass. Then a day or so later it's like it changes itself again, but the settings are the same.

I need to call iDatalink and/or Rockford and see if I can get some feedback/support and determine if maybe I have a faulty DSR1.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was not impressed by the HK or even the Alpine. The only difference I visuly see are the speakers between these 2 systems. And most likely the amp or radio gets a different processor tuning. To me, the HK speakers blend frequencies together too much. Not much clarity for mids and highs. Midbass and low bass sound grainy and muddy.

Speakers alone cleaned up a good amount of this. Adding the DSR1 and amps helped with the rest. But I am not liking the DSR1 very much. It seems to lower midbass during the summing process. I am constantly adjusting settings to bring back the midbass. Then a day or so later it's like it changes itself again, but the settings are the same.

I need to call iDatalink and/or Rockford and see if I can get some feedback/support and determine if maybe I have a faulty DSR1.
Yea, you're pretty much spot on. The one saving grace is this system does provide quite a bit of power to the speakers for a factory system. I'm not sure that my system is doing a lot of post processing - it sounds like (to me) they have a crossover built in where each speaker is limited in what it can do - but they don't all have the same power handling, sensitivty, and by extension volume. So when scaling the frequency line it feels like you're not just riding a roller coaster, but rather you're on one of those "drop" rides where people lose their feet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I get back home, I can. We are out of town for a couple more days.

Gross airspace is 1.70cu.ft. With braces and sub displacement, it nets about 1.5. I tuned the port to around 32hz. I was a bit nervous since these subs sound best with aboit 1.5 each, ported, but graphs showed the same response a s asealed box and the port increased the output still. Sounds really good. Just not the real lowe end extension I love.

I used WinISD (free) and TermLABS for box designing. Mainly to graph the response and port tuning/size.
Did you ever get measurements for your box?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Did you ever get measurements for your box?
Here are the exterior dimensions. I used a mix of 5/8" and 3/4 wood just because I had some 3/4" from a previous box and bought a a 2'x4' 5/8" as well.

If you are facing the subs up, then you could angle the bottom for extra air space.
Rectangle Handwriting Schematic Font Parallel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are the exterior dimensions. I used a mix of 5/8" and 3/4 wood just because I had some 3/4" from a previous box and bought a a 2'x4' 5/8" as well.

If you are facing the subs up, then you could angle the bottom for extra air space.
View attachment 121124
Awesome stuff, yea I'm going to reuse the cargo area cover and cut a hole in it... Hopefully i can get a good speaker grill to help cover it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Awesome stuff, yea I'm going to reuse the cargo area cover and cut a hole in it... Hopefully i can get a good speaker grill to help cover it.
If you plan to uae the factory cover, you will have to make the box more shallow. The factory cover, at least for the 2022, is about 5/8" thick. I made the box planning to use hardboard with braces, as the cover because I needed as much airspace as I could get. Ao the factory cover was out of question for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you plan to uae the factory cover, you will have to make the box more shallow. The factory cover, at least for the 2022, is about 5/8" thick. I made the box planning to use hardboard with braces, as the cover because I needed as much airspace as I could get. Ao the factory cover was out of question for me.
Well im using some shallow mounts. I think I be able to do what I want fairly easily.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well im using some shallow mounts. I think I be able to do what I want fairly easily as the biggest box these call for is 1.2 cuft

21 - 39 of 39 Posts