Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Durango RT, Tow N Go, Blacktop Pkg
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am new to the Durango family but seasoned in car audio. I recently got a 2022 Durango RT TnG, Blacktop Package with the HK audio system .

The last vehicle I had to do research and make custom harnesses and dash kits was for the 2019 Ram (5th Gen). Well, here I am again back at the drawing board. Seems Stellantis has changed the 2021-2022 Harman Kardon setup with the new 10.1" screen compared to 2018-2020 setup.

I have been scouring online groups and making calls to people I know in the audio industry and this HK setup seams to still have limited information on adding speakers and amps without much issue.

I will post specifics as my research continues but it seems that iDatalink nor PAC have a plug and play module yet. I have spoken with both of them on the phone. iDatalink has no plan or idea of when they will update software for Maestro AR or the DSR1 modules. PAC unofficially stated that the PAC AmpPRO AP4-CH41 R.2 works but some wires need to be hardwired into the factory wiring. Since I am not a shop, they would not specify what these need spliced in to.

Based on what I have found, I plan to use an Audiocontrol LC8i at this point for integration. I have read that these did not do well with the Beats system but it also seems that many things didn't work well for integrating with the Beats system.

Speaker output wires located at the amp so far (will update with color code later):

Middle/Little Gray connector has the following outputs
  • Front left and right door tweeters
  • Front left and right door 3.5" speakers -- possibly tied into the door tweeters as there are no dedicated wires for these
  • Front right door 6x9
  • Center 3.5" speaker

Top/Large Gray connector
  • Front left door 6x9
  • Back door left and right 6 1/2 speakers
  • Back door left and right tweeters -- possibly tied into the 6 1/2s wiring as there are not dedicated wires for these
  • Left and Right Hatch area 3.5" speakers
  • Both sub outputs for sub in storage compartment

Another thing I have noticed is that these doors resonate like crazy, so I put sound deadening on the plastic inner door panel, the inside of the door as well as the main door panel. This helps tremendously but certain bass frequencies still cause some resonating so it would seem I need more deadening material. Other panels vibrate as well but I have not gone through the whole vehicle yet.

I have installed speakers in the center and both front doors. It seemed to increase some cabin noise at certain RPMs so then I also disabled the ANC (I think) using the bypass harness from my 2019 Ram I used, before adding an aftermarket radio. But this did not seem to make a difference.

This brings me to some questions and hopefully someone can chime in on this thread to assist.

Questions I have:
1. Does anyone have the speaker/ANC schematics for the '21-'22 HK system?
2. Anyone here familiar with what's required in regards to PAC harness setup needing hardwired?
3. Has anyone else gone down this path completely yet and can offer some further assistance?

I appreciate any input you may have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually writing up something right now for this. Follow me and wait. TLDR version, I wouldn't get HK upgrade.
Wasn't on m want list. Just happened to be the system in the Durango I got.

I had a hard time finding one with the Tow N Go on a lot and not have to order.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
There is no fixing the HK system without a better EQ. 3 band tone control is just plain stupid and is the major problem.
My wife's Jeep sounds terrible compared to my Durango with the Alpine system and my Alpine system is OK but still needs a real EQ. I mean UC5 is freaking linux and every possible audio option is available to UC programmers.
BMW gives you a 9 band EQ with the HK system but we are stuck with a basic tone stack.

Reactions: 2022RTTnG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no fixing the HK system without a better EQ. 3 band tone control is just plain stupid and is the major problem.
My wife's Jeep sounds terrible compared to my Durango with the Alpine system and my Alpine system is OK but still needs a real EQ. I mean UC5 is freaking linux and every possible audio option is available to UC programmers.
BMW gives you a 9 band EQ with the HK system but we are stuck with a basic tone stack.
My original plan was to use a DSR1. However, iDatalink has not created any software for the 10.1" radio nor have they even had a 2021-2022 Durango in their shop for testing yet.

I am considering flashing it as a 2020 and see what happens. I did this with my '19 Ram and the Maestro module, when the 5th gen Ram and Alpine system first came out. I used the 4th Gen programming, bought some 4th Gen harnesses and made it all work.

Of course a few months later, iDatalink and PAC created interfaces for the 5th gen Ram.

I was hoping those same interfaces worked for the DD.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maybe I can help but what do the physical connectors look like on your factory amplifier? I see there is a premium and a base option in 2021-2022 models. Post a picture for me first if you don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I can help but what do the physical connectors look like on your factory amplifier? I see there is a premium and a base option in 2021-2022 models. Post a picture for me first if you don’t mind.

Here is the picture. 3 connectors and would fall under premium sound. But there is an Alpine version (9 speakers) and the Harman Kardon version (19 speakers). I have the HK.

Black Art Road surface Line Cool

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What do you think about using the DSR1 with the HRN-AR-CH4 harness that is listed under the 2021 JGC with the Harmon Kardon sound system? There are subtle differences in the factory software between the WD and WK platform when it comes to the UConnect system.

If anything you could install the line out converter as mentioned with an audio control amplifier that has DSP built in and just use the HRN-AR-CH4 harness to integrate into the factory wiring from your aftermarket amplifier(s) for a plug and play system?!?!

Here are the pinouts of the JGC for comparison:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you think about using the DSR1 with the HRN-AR-CH4 harness that is listed under the 2021 JGC with the Harmon Kardon sound system? There are subtle differences in the factory software between the WD and WK platform when it comes to the UConnect system.

If anything you could install the line out converter as mentioned with an audio control amplifier that has DSP built in and just use the HRN-AR-CH4 harness to integrate into the factory wiring from your aftermarket amplifier(s) for a plug and play system?!?!

I would prefer to try and make the DSR1 work due to the EQ and DSP functionality.

If not, I will us an LCi8 for now as even with replacing just the front speakers, it sounds so much better and cleaner. I use Image Dynamics. Mids and highs aren't bunched together anymore. Bass in the doors are cleaner and tighter.

I have the harnesses already too, from my 2019 Ram. Also ordered another pigtail harness that will allow me to keep the some speakers on the factory amp and others on aftermarket amps.

Mainly the rear hatch 3.5" speakers. I am not changng them out.

I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So the 2021 JGC still had the 8" radio and is the smae aoftware version from iDatalink as the 2020 Durango.

Wiring is the same when comparing the pinouts you privided.

Next I will check wiring on the amp side in my 2022 Durango to see of it matches. I don't know what the 10.1" Durango radio has for software changes, but considering the screen menus are similar, it's worth a try using the DSR1 and see what happens.

Also, the other Dodge vehicles, 5", 8 and 12"" screens, use the same iDatalink software version.

Time to setup a test

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@wehaldge

UPDATE: Did some testing today using the DSR1 and the HRN-AR-CH4 harness. I used the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee programming, which appears to be the same software for many Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles, but not all, no matter the radio.

Was also able to figure out that the door tweeter and door 3.5" are on the same wires from the amp. Have not got to the back doors but at this point I think the back door tweeters and full range are also on the same wires.

The only 2 things that didn't work during testing so far, is the punch on/off eq defaults to off and can't be turned on. If you mute the punch eq on/off, it mutes the whole radio. If you turn down the punch volume or mute it, it mutes the total volume. If you mute the subwoofer, it mutes the total volume but subwoofer volume control seems to work fine.

So I will remove these features from the flash and leave master volume only and use the bass control knob that plugs into my amp. I have not confirmed proximit sensor sounds as my test bench was not secured in order to drive somewhere.

Sound improved just with speaker change and cleaned up more with the DSR1 as well. Especially the midbass and bass frequencies.

Midrange and highs were a huge improvement just with new speakers. I am using Infinity Reference 3.5" in the dash and fromt doors and Image Dynamics Components 6.5" and 1" in the doors.

Now it's time to start building the box and amp rack so I can get everything else installed.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Hope this helps someone else looking to add a full system but keep the 10.1" radio as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@wehaldge

UPDATE: Did some testing today using the DSR1 and the HRN-AR-CH4 harness. I used the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee programming, which appears to be the same software for many Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles, but not all, no matter the radio.

Was also able to figure out that the door tweeter and door 3.5" are on the same wires from the amp. Have not got to the back doors but at this point I think the back door tweeters and full range are also on the same wires.

The only 2 things that didn't work during testing so far, is the punch on/off eq defaults to off and can't be turned on. If you mute the punch eq on/off, it mutes the whole radio. If you turn down the punch volume or mute it, it mutes the total volume. If you mute the subwoofer, it mutes the total volume but subwoofer volume control seems to work fine.

So I will remove these features from the flash and leave master volume only and use the bass control knob that plugs into my amp. I have not confirmed proximit sensor sounds as my test bench was not secured in order to drive somewhere.

Sound improved just with speaker change and cleaned up more with the DSR1 as well. Especially the midbass and bass frequencies.

Midrange and highs were a huge improvement just with new speakers. I am using Infinity Reference 3.5" in the dash and fromt doors and Image Dynamics Components 6.5" and 1" in the doors.

Now it's time to start building the box and amp rack so I can get everything else installed.

I appreciate everyone's input on this. Hope this helps someone else looking to add a full system but keep the 10.1" radio as well.
So I'm not so sure this is correct. The front door 3.5 in speaker and tweeter SEEM by all accounts to be on two different channels from the amp. Based on the wiring in the rear door (I have a post to do on the rear door soon) the tweeter and 6.5 in speaker are wired together. (number one look at the plug, it is the only plug that doesn't match the rest).

We know the amp is a 12 channel amp. And we know the system has 14 true speakers. So there are only 2 pairs of speakers sharing. The only thing that I could agree is the tweeters and 3.5's seem to have the same power ratings. So they would make a logical match.

Also, I detailed this here:
Please see my post on "All About the Harman-Kardon 19 Speaker Premium Upgrade (Including replacement and recommendations)" post to learn more.

SPOILER ALERT: Just the speaker upgrade I did made a tremendous difference in how the system sounded. I think I still want some more bass, because the 80 watts that it puts out just isn't enough to punch like it should. Probably going to build a custom enclosure to replace the "cargo" area in the back where the current subwoofer is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So I'm not so sure this is correct. The front door 3.5 in speaker and tweeter SEEM by all accounts to be on two different channels from the amp. Based on the wiring in the rear door (I have a post to do on the rear door soon) the tweeter and 6.5 in speaker are wired together. (number one look at the plug, it is the only plug that doesn't match the rest).

We know the amp is a 12 channel amp. And we know the system has 14 true speakers. So there are only 2 pairs of speakers sharing. The only thing that I could agree is the tweeters and 3.5's seem to have the same power ratings. So they would make a logical match.

Also, I detailed this here:
Please see my post on "All About the Harman-Kardon 19 Speaker Premium Upgrade (Including replacement and recommendations)" post to learn more.

SPOILER ALERT: Just the speaker upgrade I did made a tremendous difference in how the system sounded. I think I still want some more bass, because the 80 watts that it puts out just isn't enough to punch like it should. Probably going to build a custom enclosure to replace the "cargo" area in the back where the current subwoofer is.

Front Tweeter and 3.5" doors are wired together. Rear door tweer and 6.5" are on the same channel. Tweets have a bass blocker in line for x-over purposes. I have everything installed and have been working on tuning the DSR1 as IT'S GLITCHY. But overall, it sounds great. Only lost front park sense beep and not sure why since everything else still works. Turn sense beep and backup park beeps work and come through all the speakers properly.

Still have to finish the cover panel. Top of box is removable to access the subs. Subs are mounted on the inside to allow better clearance between the subs and floor.

I kept the storage area speakers on the factory amp mianly because I dont want to pull the panels to replace the speakers and don't have room for another amp. I had to splice 2 ANC bypass harnesses to accomplish this. You cam see in the pics. One pligs into the factory amp solely for the rear hatch area speakers and the other plugs into the T Harness for the DSR1.

All other harnesses are plug and play and then determining what output is for what speaker. This depends on which layout you choose in the DSR1 and testing the vehicle harness as I believe I noted very early on in this thread. I do not recommend messing with the DSR1 settings after you get it tuned. The more you mess with it, the more it glitches. Communication drops, is slow and sometimes doesn't communciate at all. It has reset itself and changed settings but I believe it's mainly due loosing communciation while tuning. Don't plan on adjustments on thw fly.

I used the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a few other vehicles with the 5", 8" and 12" screen. Ram and Charger. These are the same.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Audio equipment

White Automotive tire Black Infrastructure Road surface

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Hood Cable Gadget

Wood Line Electrical wiring Gas Cable

Bumper Audio equipment Automotive exterior Trunk Gas

Electrical wiring Trunk Motor vehicle Gas Cable

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Wood

Product Textile Art Electrical wiring Engineering

Azure Wood Textile Twig Line

Font Electric blue Electrical wiring Electrical supply Fashion accessory

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So you're saying this is a 10 channel amp, not a 12 channel amp?
Amp Channels are as follows:
-Center channel
-Frt. Left tweet/ 3.5"
-Frt. Left 6x9
-Frt. Right tweet/3.5"
-Frt. Right 6x9
-Rear Left tweet/6"
-Rear Right tweet/6"
-Left storage 3.5"
-Right storage 3.5"
-Sub voicecoil 1
-Sub voicecoil 2