Dodge Durango Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can’t speak for the brakes and rotors on a Durango as my 21 is on order but I am coming g from 4 scat packs all with the 6 pots and while they do wear quickly and are very expensive, I always swapped pads for powerstops and they also make rotors very cheap so there are alternatives non oem. Brembo oem rotors are way overpriced. Then again, I never had to tow anything either but the powerstop pads always worked great with no dust either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
No apologies required.
I have a 19 new gen 1500, that I will replacing with the DD. For the amount I need to tow (TT 6500lbs loaded up and 26’ long), I feel the Durango will do just fine. I am just getting tired of driving pick up trucks, my last five vehicles have been Rams, and very rarely use the box.
The build I have ordered is pretty much dressed like a SRT, except with the 5.7.
I had the 6.4 in a 2500, and it was a thirsty bugger, and that was on regular grade fuel.
Be careful, your likely to be right at/ over the Durango’s capacity with a 6500 lb TT because of the tongue weight. While the Durango has the same 7,100 lbs GVWR as the Ram, it has a lower rear GAWR 3,900 lbs vs the Ram’s 4,100 lbs.

Even the 6.4 SRT is limited by the 3,900 lb rear GAWR, despite the 8,700 lb tow rating

·
Registered
96 Posts
Be careful, your likely to be right at/ over the Durango’s capacity with a 6500 lb TT because of the tongue weight. While the Durango has the same 7,100 lbs GVWR as the Ram, it has a lower rear GAWR 3,900 lbs vs the Ram’s 4,100 lbs.

Even the 6.4 SRT is limited by the 3,900 lb rear GAWR, despite the 8,700 lb tow rating
No worries, the trailer when dry is 4500lbs, with a 345lb tongue weight, very well balanced. 6500lbs would be 2000lbs of load in the trailer which would never happen, but I always go overboard on the calculations to err on the side of caution. With the tow n go on the AWD RT, the max trailer wt. rating is around 8500lbs. Just the two of us and a small dog in the DD. So we are good to go on the weight ratings. My concern is wheelbase/overall length of the DD vs the trailer. Tail can wag the dog if not careful.
I never go over 60mph/100kmph when towing, just not worth the risk when some douche cuts you off or a deer runs out and you have to go in avoidance mode. Be driving for many, many years and seen some real interesting drivers with trailers. Nothing like the jacked up 4x4, with a 40’ fifth wheel, rolling coal by me doing 80mph/140kmph, then I catch up to him on the shoulder with a blown tire or busted suspension.😏

·
Registered
175 Posts
There doesn't appear to be a industry standard for determining dry weight with trailers. Naturally there is some sales magic in getting the dry weight down to 1/2 ton capacity. I had a toy hauler that grossed at 7500# and that thing was a big bully behind the Titan I had the time. Towing was a horrifying mess, but I live in CA so we have lots of wind and mountains that can make towing miserable. Technically the Tow and Go would haul that trailer, but it would exceed my own personal standards for reserve capacity. I have a Ram 3500 Cummins and a slightly bigger toy hauler (no where near douche bag bro-dozer size) that grosses at 10k lbs. It makes itself well-known when I'm towing and its not even 50% of the advertised capacity of the truck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No worries, the trailer when dry is 4500lbs, with a 345lb tongue weight, very well balanced. 6500lbs would be 2000lbs of load in the trailer which would never happen, but I always go overboard on the calculations to err on the side of caution. With the tow n go on the AWD RT, the max trailer wt. rating is around 8500lbs. Just the two of us and a small dog in the DD. So we are good to go on the weight ratings. My concern is wheelbase/overall length of the DD vs the trailer. Tail can wag the dog if not careful.
Yes, but 8,500 lbs max towing isn’t the only max capacity number to worry about, especially with a TT on a small tow vehicle.

You should be ok on the DD’s wheelbase. My TT is 31’ feet long and I wish it was 5’ shorter when towing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes I think dealers are taking orders, however my is coming as part of a fleet through work, long story.... I miss my scat pack but I'm still in the family and I am excited about the new interior with wireless car play, unconnect 5 (hopefully it's as good as the current versions),and having comfort while still sporting a hemi 5.7 and the goodies that come with recent day dodge vehicles.... I had 4 scat packs before LOL

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Hey Heat00...help me out as I'm in the market for a Scat Pack. Could you tell me then the difference in suspension feel between the widebody Scat and reg Scat. Which did you prefer? Do you feel the widebody worth it over a Scat with the dynamics package which has 275/40 width tires and big brakes?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Chase... I'll try to be short, which is hard for me when it comes to scats LOL.

remember the 6k more is not really 6k more as you mention as it gives you dynamic package. it also gives you 20x11 305's on all 4 corners.. did I "feel" the difference, yes.. is it critical for everyday driving, not really. To me (and everyone is different) it was really the look and stance of the widebody that I loved. It does also give you the hellcat suspension and active dampers etc. I'm sure on a track with measured results, it will matter greatly, but for everyday normal use... Not so much. the big brakes are great just be sure to swap the pads out for the powerstop carbon/ceramic as the dust is unbearable but that's an easy cheap fix..(i even did the last set myself its not that hard). If money is no issue, go for the WB but if you can't or don't want to spend the extra, it's still one of the best cars out and my first 3 scat packs were non WB and they were great! I'll dig up a pic of my 3 in a minute.

also the 11' rims gave that concave /deep look that I loved... kind of old school looking.. let me post a few pics so you can see

·
Registered
81 Posts

Reactions: Citadel Brian

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Dang, I wouldn't know which Charger to take!!! LOL.
Thanks for the feedback...for me its between the T/A and the widebody...what I do know is the color, F8.

Sorry for the sidetrack guys.
Back on topic..I hope the "Go" in the "Tow and Go package" means 3.70 diffs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dang, I wouldn't know which Charger to take!!! LOL.
Thanks for the feedback...for me its between the T/A and the widebody...what I do know is the color, F8.

Sorry for the sidetrack guys.
Back on topic..I hope the "Go" in the "Tow and Go package" means 3.70 diffs.
I guess you would take the f8. That was my 2019 and ran the best of all 4. It ran 4.2 every time all my others were higher. They also tweaked the exhaust in 2019 and I left it stock as it sounded so good. Also sorry to go off topic!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess you would take the f8. That was my 2019 and ran the best of all 4. It ran 4.2 every time all my others were higher. They also tweaked the exhaust in 2019 and I left it stock as it sounded so good. Also sorry to go off topic!

Hey, if we’re going off topic, showing pics of those beauties is no problem with me.
As for the 3.70’s rear end, I am thinking the tow n go must have it to achieve the 8700 lb tow rating?

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's my thought too as I think the 3.09's are barely adequate for 6,000 lbs...can't image 8,000 lbs being towed up a hill.
I’ve towed 7k with 3.09’s and slightly larger than stock tires. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t intolerable. I 200% wish I had 3.70’s though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes, but 8,500 lbs max towing isn’t the only max capacity number to worry about, especially with a TT on a small tow vehicle.
Right, there is a LOT to consider when you're towing close to the max trailer weight rating. The big one is gross combined weight rating of the vehicle. Currently its 13,100lbs in the Durango. That is the trailer, the Durango, and all the equipment and humans you are transporting. The other thing is the tongue weight, it needs to be added to the GCWR total. Additionally, the rear axle weight rating should not be exceeded. I'm sure people exceed these ratings with out issue all the time, but that isn't my jam...which is why I Ram...I be here all week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Right, there is a LOT to consider when you're towing close to the max trailer weight rating. The big one is gross combined weight rating of the vehicle. Currently its 13,100lbs in the Durango. That is the trailer, the Durango, and all the equipment and humans you are transporting. The other thing is the tongue weight, it needs to be added to the GCWR total. Additionally, the rear axle weight rating should not be exceeded. I'm sure people exceed these ratings with out issue all the time, but that isn't my jam...which is why I Ram...I be here all week.
Yep, I find the 8500/8700 lb tow rating deceiving because FCA didn’t increase the GAWR/GVWR/GCWR capacities.

My 5.7 DD AWD weighed in at 5,820 lbs (w/ only me in it), that means a 7,280 lb trailer to stay under the 13,100 lbs GCWR. I’m the only occupant...How does FCA come up with 8,500 lb tow rating??

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can’t speak for the brakes and rotors on a Durango as my 21 is on order but I am coming g from 4 scat packs all with the 6 pots and while they do wear quickly and are very expensive, I always swapped pads for powerstops and they also make rotors very cheap so there are alternatives non oem. Brembo oem rotors are way overpriced. Then again, I never had to tow anything either but the powerstop pads always worked great with no dust either

I swapped 6/4 pots onto my 2014 and ended up going with the Powerstop Z23 Evo Sport carbon/ceramic pads. Are those the ones you used?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts