Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Im new here, and just picked up my 2021 R/T about a week ago! Pretty excited about it, I already put a Magnaflow cat-back on it, and she sounds pretty good.
I actually have a couple questions, because Im looking to get a CAI and maybe even a dashboard tuner (similar to the Diablosport Trinity).
My first question would be, which CAI’s do you suggest I look into? Obviously Im looking for the power gains but also fuel efficiency. I dont mind if it has a “roar” under the hood as some speak about, I think thats pretty cool actually.
Another two-part question I suppose would be what tuners to look into, ALSO, would a tuner void my warranty?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
981 Posts
You will need an unlocked PCM and bypass cable. Not sure which tuners support 2021’s yet. I have HPTuners on my 2016. Yes it will technically void your warranty but that didn’t stop me.

Because of the performance hood I would suggest a closed box CAI. I have Volant. There are others as well.

Performance mods that are FBO: exhaust (you have), larger throttle body, 6.4L (392) intake manifold, long tube headers, oil catch can (not really for a performance gain but a good mod to have IMO) and a 3.45 differential swap front and rear if you are AWD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need an unlocked PCM and bypass cable. Not sure which tuners support 2021’s yet. I have HPTuners on my 2016. Yes it will technically void your warranty but that didn’t stop me.

Because of the performance hood I would suggest a closed box CAI. I have Volant. There are others as well.

Performance mods that are FBO: exhaust (you have), larger throttle body, 6.4L (392) intake manifold, long tube headers, oil catch can (not really for a performance gain but a good mod to have IMO) and a 3.45 differential swap front and rear if you are AWD.

Awesome thanks! Yup I do in fact have the AWD too thats not a bad idea. Might hold off on the tuner for now I suppose, Im still in the new car phase of being a baby with it lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
Most mods will not need a tune to work but you won’t benefit from the upgrade unless you tune. Keep that in mind as well as you lay out your plan of attack.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I posted something similar most people use this CAI. And like mentioned above a tune will void your warranty.
So there is a certain code that pops up when a modified PCM or an unmodified PCM has replaced the original PCM from the factory. This P1400 code can be erased from the system using HPTuners software. I have taken my D to the dealership and they have said nothing to me and I’ve gotten warranty work completed twice....

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So there is a certain code that pops up when a modified PCM or an unmodified PCM has replaced the original PCM from the factory. This P1400 code can be erased from the system using HPTuners software. I have taken my D to the dealership and they have said nothing to me and I’ve gotten warranty work completed twice....

Oh well thats something ill consider 😈

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Durango SRT, destroyer grey
72 Posts

interesting can you post a link to what you got? What year is your D?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a K&N CAI on my 2017 Citadel 5.7. As for a tune. I talked to Jeff from the TV show Garage Squad, and he told me he waited until the factory warranty was up before he put a tune on his vehicle because the dealer can detect it even if you remove it before taking it in for service and may void your warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So im thinking of doing headers. Idk. Just saw F9 and want to be fast and louder. 🤣😂🤣😂 Not looking to spend whipple money, however, im looking to throw around anything under $2000 to add some HP and sound hahaha suggestions???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any updates on there installed mods? Pros and cons?Issues with and Experiences? 21 R/T delivered today, pretty pumped ready to start doing some non-voids and appearance, unless someone can steer me towards the direction to start my search for the untraceable tune? 🤔

·
Registered
2021 Durango R/T AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tough finding a lot of stuff for the ‘21 since theyre so new. I have a magnaflow catback so far on mine. Its not obnoxiously loud, and it sounds great when you step on it. I have heard nothing but good things about swapping the intake manifold with one from a 6.4. Im sure people will chime in on that here. It will be my next mod, apparently a noticeable difference in throttle response and worth the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got my 2021 but right now planning on a Fastman TB and one of the CAIs either K&N or Afe. Pairing these together rather than just one of them worked well on my first generation Durango and the Jeep GC that followed it. Improved acceleration and throttle response was the benefit, maybe 1 or 2mpg improvement too (I can’t remember).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Anyone have any updates on there installed mods? Pros and cons?Issues with and Experiences? 21 R/T delivered today, pretty pumped ready to start doing some non-voids and appearance, unless someone can steer me towards the direction to start my search for the untraceable tune? 🤔
The only downside to modding is it's a bit addicting. It also gets more expensive as you progress. The cam swap I'm going to do will be it for me, maybe a higher stall torque converter. Everything I have listed below started with just a custom intake. Then kept going and going. The next step would be a supercharger, but I would need a different cam....just have to ask yourself how far you want to go. I want to keep it naturally aspirated on the level or pretty close to the SRT.

The end result is what makes it worth it. Especially if you've done most of the work yourself. It doesn't even feel like an SUV anymore. Just straight fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I just got my 2021 but right now planning on a Fastman TB and one of the CAIs either K&N or Afe. Pairing these together rather than just one of them worked well on my first generation Durango and the Jeep GC that followed it. Improved acceleration and throttle response was the benefit, maybe 1 or 2mpg improvement too (I can’t remember).
1st thing turn off eco and turn on sport. The 2021 sport mode is freaking awesome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts