Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 32‘ trav trailer. My Durango did not come with a tow package so the RV place where we were purchased from installed the whole set up. The problem I have is they used a class 4 Mopar receiver and a class 2 EZ hitch to the camper. The TT is only 5400 lb it’s an ultra lite. This thing swayed Violently at about 65 mph, slowed down to about 50 of course it smoothed out but the “PreLoad“ couldn’t have been set right. I had to call someone with a 3500 Ram to tow this thing back to the RV Dealership. When I went to unhook the RV one bar was preloaded so much I had to use a 50” pry bar to get it loose. I have pulled many trailers including a 30’ pace enclosed for my race car years ago but that was with a 1500 series P/U. Another issue I had I couldn’t see anything beside me what kind of extendable mirrors are yall using to pull a TT. i know this all sounds crazy but when they deliver your TT to you at 8 pm be cause it took 5 hrs longer than it was supposed to and it’s dark and they close at 6 on a Saturday your stuck like chuck.

·
Super Moderator
13,020 Posts
That's a lot of trailer length for a Durango.

Does your hitch have anti-sway?

Also IIRC the R/T has Nivomat rear shocks, setting up the WDH takes a little bit of care.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Agree with @tomk. That is a lot of trailer for the durango. Weight isn't everything, Its just too long for our vehicles. However, your swaying issue is probably more to do with loading of the trailer and making sure you have around 12% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Play around with the setup and make sure you get enough weight on the tongue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a lot of trailer length for a Durango.

Does your hitch have anti-sway?

Also IIRC the R/T has Nivomat rear shocks, setting up the WDH takes a little bit of care.
The hitch they installed was the Equal-izer E-2, they are installing the E-4 series now supposed to be a 4 point instead of a 2 point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with @tomk. That is a lot of trailer for the durango. Weight isn't everything, Its just too long for our vehicles. However, your swaying issue is probably more to do with loading of the trailer and making sure you have around 12% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Play around with the setup and make sure you get enough weight on the tongue.
That’s exactly what I was thinking they set up the weight distribution wrong. If they do this for a living you would think they should know what they are doing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That’s exactly what I was thinking they set up the weight distribution wrong. If they do this for a living you would think they should know what they are doing.
Aside from the WDH you need to ensure that the trailer is loaded and distributed correctly. If your fresh water tank is in front of the axles try filling it up and see how it handles then.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No tow package? how bad was it squatting in the back any pictures I tow my 24' boat and trailer about 5600 lbs and if I have to much cargo in the rear of the durango and hit a bump it does sway. If I load all the cargo into the boat it rides better but mine has the nivomat load leveling shocks if your shcoks are compressed and they have no where to go its going to cause swaying. That 32 foot trailer is very long if you loaded it with camping items you could have imbalanced the tongue weight that will cause swaying as well especially if to light

·
Registered
58 Posts
Couple observations. And as info, I'm towing a 28.5' TT w/ a 5100# dry weight 600# dry tongue w/ a 2011 D 5.7L w/ tow package. We can make a TT this big/heavy work because it's just the 2 of us. Stuff in the D other than us weighs less than 200#. I use an E2 hitch, and the dealer set it up Ok when we bought the TT in Oct 2017. Keep in mind the self leveling shocks will throw off their setup after the first couple of bumps. I called E2 about the self leveling shocks (instructions say to turn them off prior to setup, but ours are mechanical and can't be turned off by pulling a fuse), and they recommended bringing the front fender measurement back to original height, rather than 1/2 way as per instructions. I've adjusted mine 2x over the years to get it dialed in when fully loaded. I'm using 7 washers, and use the electric hitch to raise the rear of the D when installing the bars. And I mean raise the rear A LOT. I know I'm towing close to max, so I run over the CAT scales once a summer to check my rear axle, and I'm still about 80# under max. My loaded trailer is about 6300#. I only make one pass over the scales so it's impossible to get an accurate TT only weight. I keep speeds at 65 or under, and if it's windy, I slow down even more. Any wind will make towing the longer trailers a bitch. You'll need to pay attention to wind and wind gusts; and you will feel a push when the semi's pass you.
Having said all that, with the E2 hitch dialed in, I am really happy with how the TT tows. And for those of you doing the math in your head, yes, I am fairly sure that I am over the 720# max on the tongue weight. One other thing to note, you mentioned you don't have a tow package? Do the newer D's not have reduced tow capacity w/o a tow package? Mine would be 3500# w/o the tow package.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have been towing for many years and your #1 problem is the trailer is way to long for your DD wheelbase, you are going to have a hard time towing that length of a TT with a DD. These dealers will sell you anything they don't care it is mind blowing!! The DD shouldn't be rated to tow anything over 29ft.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You need either a shorter camper (<26 feet) or a larger tow vehicle.

I used the E4 Equalizer with my Durango and 31’ TT, 5,209 lb dry weight and ~6,500 lbs loaded. It worked fine 90% of the time, but that 10% was white knuckles.

I also learned the hard way that it’s not just about the weight. The wheelbase and trailer length is just as important.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Car Wheel Sky Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2017 Citadel with a 5.7 hemi pulling a 29ft TT weighing 5863 lb dry probably around 6300 lb loaded. I too had trailer sway until I put a Hensley Hitch on. This summer crossed the Mackinac Bridge with 30 mph winds. The trailer never swayed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been towing for many years and your #1 problem is the trailer is way to long for your DD wheelbase, you are going to have a hard time towing that length of a TT with a DD. These dealers will sell you anything they don't care it is mind blowing!! The DD shouldn't be rated to tow anything over 29ft.
You are correct I hooked up on a 24‘ TT, pulled smooth as hell at 70+ with E4. I bet they won’t sell anyone a TT that big to pull behind a DD or any other mid-size SUV. But one thing is for sure they are making it right rather than trying to stick me with something that I couldn’t pull safely.

·
Super Moderator
13,020 Posts
As an aside, I believe the 2021 R/T has all the towing bits except the hitch itself (and possibly a little wiring).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts