Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago we purchased an awesome white 2021 Durango RT. Since new my wife has complained of a hot smell, but I had never experienced it...until yesterday. She pulled into the driveway after a short roadtrip & there was smoke coming from under the hood & chassis. I crawled under & found fluid blown back on undercarriage. It was fairly clear & petroleum based. I popped the hood & checked the oil, brake fluid & antifreeze (all full), but there is no easy way to check the transmission without proper tools & a scanner. We called the dealership & they said to just drive it back in today. On the way I had more smoke & check engine light. 1/4 mile from dealership the transmission quit shifting. With only 200 miles on the vehicle, I’m sure that Dodge will take car of issue, but I’m concerned about long term effects on overheated transmission that was run extremely low on fluid? Anyone had similar experience? Will Dodge extend my transmission warranty? My wife is VERY concerned to say the least.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
211 Posts
Oh my...…...so sorry to hear of your misfortune with a brand spanking new vehicle. That is something they will need to resolve for you for sure. If they try to tell you that all they had to do was put more fluid in, scream bloody murder about it being run low at only 200 miles. That put a ton of years on your trans (the heat may have been the worst part) in only 200 miles.

If it were me, they'd be putting a brand new trans in mine AND cleaning all of the undercarriage as well since it's probably coated heavily everywhere.

What a joke at 200 miles!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two weeks ago we purchased an awesome white 2021 Durango RT. Since new my wife has complained of a hot smell, but I had never experienced it...until yesterday. She pulled into the driveway after a short roadtrip & there was smoke coming from under the hood & chassis. I crawled under & found fluid blown back on undercarriage. It was fairly clear & petroleum based. I popped the hood & checked the oil, brake fluid & antifreeze (all full), but there is no easy way to check the transmission without proper tools & a scanner. We called the dealership & they said to just drive it back in today. On the way I had more smoke & check engine light. 1/4 mile from dealership the transmission quit shifting. With only 200 miles on the vehicle, I’m sure that Dodge will take car of issue, but I’m concerned about long term effects on overheated transmission that was run extremely low on fluid? Anyone had similar experience? Will Dodge extend my transmission warranty? My wife is VERY concerned to say the least.
Hello Tskywalker,
We're terribly sorry to hear that this is happening. If we can be of any assistance while in service, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to help.

Lamar
Dodge Cares

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Tsky:
Yours is certainly a less than stellar new vehicle purchase experience. This will be a good opportunity to see how much your dealer understands customer service, along with service after the sale. Keep in mind that the dealer did not build it, but they are the ones who will hopefully make things right. My bet is that you have a leaking trans cooler line, or similar.

The 8 speed trans fluid has more of a watery, green appearance, and is not like the good old red color fluid so many of us have come to know from years past. I would expect that they get it right back in, and get you a very nice loaner to drive while they take their time, and make things right.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Don

Reactions: Tom13DurangoRT

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear this on such a new vehicle, I agree with Don and I am interested to see the result and findings on this failure. Following this thread for the next piece of the puzzle.

·
Super Moderator
12,867 Posts
I can't believe they said "just drive it back in" with a fluid leak. That service advisor needs to be fired.

Reactions: Tom13DurangoRT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully the fluid leak is just user error from a mechanic at the dealership and not a problem internally with the transmission like a factory defect. The transmission in my 13 Durango went out right at 82k miles and I had to replace it out of warranty. Ended up getting a reman transmission instead of new or rebuilt after reading this article I found in the depths of Google lol Durango Transmission Talk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts