Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently leasing my 2018 Durango SRT and the minute I saw the news about the 2021 Durango Hellcat I called up my local dealer and told him to place me on the pre-order contact list. I leased my 2018 DDSRT for this very reason - because I figured something better would be available in 3yrs and I did not want to be stuck trying to sell or trade in the DDSRT; also I did not trust Dodge reliability or customer service and wanted to make sure that the DDSRT did not disappoint.

I can say after 20K miles and 2yrs the DDSRT does not have a single problem other than the terrible dealership customer service. I avoid them at all costs and only get TSB updates from the Dodge dealership; tires and oil changes I actually get done at my Nissan GTR's dealership because the customer service really is that bad.

I plan on purchasing the Hellcat version outright and hopefully keeping it for the next 10 years. I hate keeping a vehicle stock which for me is the main downside to leasing so I will be able to really customize the Hellcat to my tastes, mainly just tint, laser jammer and vinyl graphics.

I plan on having my local graphics designer make a design for my next DD like the one done by Plum Floored Designs

·
Registered
107 Posts
Man that would just be AWESOME... 700HP in the Durango. YES PLEASE

But.. I live a standard life on a standard style paycheck and that'll never be an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently leasing my 2018 Durango SRT and the minute I saw the news about the 2021 Durango Hellcat I called up my local dealer and told him to place me on the pre-order contact list. I leased my 2018 DDSRT for this very reason - because I figured something better would be available in 3yrs and I did not want to be stuck trying to sell or trade in the DDSRT; also I did not trust Dodge reliability or customer service and wanted to make sure that the DDSRT did not disappoint.

I can say after 20K miles and 2yrs the DDSRT does not have a single problem other than the terrible dealership customer service. I avoid them at all costs and only get TSB updates from the Dodge dealership; tires and oil changes I actually get done at my Nissan GTR's dealership because the customer service really is that bad.

I plan on purchasing the Hellcat version outright and hopefully keeping it for the next 10 years. I hate keeping a vehicle stock which for me is the main downside to leasing so I will be able to really customize the Hellcat to my tastes, mainly just tint, laser jammer and vinyl graphics.

I plan on having my local graphics designer make a design for my next DD like the one done by Plum Floored Designs
I am Also looking at getting on the Pre-order and just had a serious conversation with my dealer. The word back from FCA is that, as of right now, production will begin in Q1 2021. Production will be only for 6 month and will less then 2000 units. There is no date yet for preoder to start but will likely be near the end of 2020. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT, 392 Hemi, Eibach Coils, 22" Hellcat Reps, Corsa Exhaust
642 Posts
With only 2000 being built, I say good luck getting one. That is less production numbers than the Demon. Those were getting a $30K mark up at the dealership.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did the next best thing today and finished a deal on a 2018 Trackhawk.

The plan is Tuesday to drive my SRT Durango down to Chicago, sign the paperwork and drive home my new to me Jeep Trackhawk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With only 2000 being built, I say good luck getting one. That is less production numbers than the Demon. Those were getting a $30K mark up at the dealership.
I think the mistake that most people make is that they do not consider traveling. In my state the dealerships are awful, I had to get on a plane and fly to a different state to pick up my GTR without the ridiculous markup. I am already in contact with the dealership in the other state that sold me my GTR. I won't hesitate to drive up to 12hrs in any direction to get the vehicle that I want without the markup. So if my planned dealership lets me down, I have no problems calling every other dealership within 500 miles.

I can almost guarantee that one of them will be willing to sell at MSRP; and if not then yea I'll probably just get a used Jeep Trackhawk even though I don't like their interiors or their looks at all. Who knows, I might even just buyout my lease and throw a few mods on the SRT and call it a day. I can guarantee you one thing though...I'm not paying 1 red cent of markup.

Also, I hadn't heard that only 2000 were being built, everything I've read says that they will only be produced for 6 months, but they will make as many as there is demand for within that 6 months.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think the mistake that most people make is that they do not consider traveling. In my state the dealerships are awful, I had to get on a plane and fly to a different state to pick up my GTR without the ridiculous markup. I am already in contact with the dealership in the other state that sold me my GTR. I won't hesitate to drive up to 12hrs in any direction to get the vehicle that I want without the markup. So if my planned dealership lets me down, I have no problems calling every other dealership within 500 miles.

I can almost guarantee that one of them will be willing to sell at MSRP; and if not then yea I'll probably just get a used Jeep Trackhawk even though I don't like their interiors or their looks at all. Who knows, I might even just buyout my lease and throw a few mods on the SRT and call it a day. I can guarantee you one thing though...I'm not paying 1 red cent of markup.

Also, I hadn't heard that only 2000 were being built, everything I've read says that they will only be produced for 6 months, but they will make as many as there is demand for within that 6 months.
I hear you on that, I am not willing to pay for any markup either. I too will travel wherever I need to get the right price. I remember the highway robbery they were doing with the Demon's with some sticker prices at around $140K, and people still bought it for that.

My wife surprised me and said she is on the wait list for when they are finally able to be ordered. We have been talking about a regular SRT, but if, and this is a big IF, the starting price is around $80K or so the rumors say I've been hearing, we will probably get a Hellcat instead.

Regarding the less than 2000 being made. They made a statement not too long after they originally said they would make as many as there was a demand for them. Tim Kuniskis later said because of the unforseen problems with CoVid and thier plants shutting down (as they are behind with everything) they will unfortunately be making less than 2000 units.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tony H

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My Hellcat is now officially pre-ordered. I was able to find a dealership in my area that was not charging a markup. They first tried to say I had to buy a Mopar Care package which included BS like window tint, tire rotations, windshield treatment, and some coupons for the grand total of $1500, but I said no problem I'm talking to 3 other dealerships already; within 30min they called back and said they were able to do straight MSRP.

So I now have a Granite on order. The first 8 dealerships that I called were adding between $5K and $10K ADM....one guy even had the nerve to call me and say the markup was "only" $20K, I just laughed at him and told him I'm on my way to a different dealership to pre-order one with no markup. Whatever you do, don't pay the BS ADM fee, drive if you have to, get on a plane even; there's no plane ticket that's going to cost $5K or $10K. Every time someone pays the ADM they are making it less likely for everyone else to get it at MSRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats. I just confirmed my order yesterday. Mine will be black with the black package, but it was difficult to pull the trigger on the black package not knowing exactly how that will look. I was wanting to see exactly what the rims would look like. I pulled the trigger anyway. It's almost identical to yours besides the color. That granite was a close second! Still thinking about switching tbh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats. I just confirmed my order yesterday. Mine will be black with the black package, but it was difficult to pull the trigger on the black package not knowing exactly how that will look. I was wanting to see exactly what the rims would look like. I pulled the trigger anyway. It's almost identical to yours besides the color. That granite was a close second! Still thinking about switching tbh.
View attachment 112188
Congrats to you as well. I was torn also, but I already have a black SRT, and so I wanted a change. Also, I plan to add some vinyl graphics and they will look better against a lighter paint scheme.

Also, black just shows dirt so much more, I was always at the car wash. I couldn't find many pictures for the black package either, but I went for it too. I wish they would darken down the taillights but I think that wouldn't be street legal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats! I ordered mine over the weekend. From looking at other people’s orders, it looks like I’m one of the only guys who prefers suede seats over the Laguna Leather.

63A9137A-4BFA-4EA7-86E3-582E96A4E986.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats, guys.

Have any of you received a status yet? As of a couple of days ago, mind is in D status. Which means no issues with the order. Next is D1, which will provide a firm build date. My dealership said all he can say right now is I have a January to April delivery time.

Also, do any of you guys have an actual picture of the black package Matte Vapor rims??

·
Registered
674 Posts
My dealer could not provide a pic of the black package matte vapor wheels either. I'm surprised how many are choosing sunroofs. I barely used the one in my landcruiser and all it did was deteriorate over time. The mechanisms are fiddly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer could not provide a pic of the black package matte vapor wheels either. I'm surprised how many are choosing sunroofs. I barely used the one in my landcruiser and all it did was deteriorate over time. The mechanisms are fiddly.

I panicked on the sunroof. I never open it it but always keep the slid cover open for light. I added it last second. I'm not really sure why either, lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I panicked on the sunroof. I never open it it but always keep the slid cover open for light. I added it last second. I'm not really sure why either, lol.
I refuse to own an SUV without a sunroof. I keep mine open the minute the weather is cool enough or I am driving at night. For me it transforms the vehicle from a dark cave into a pleasant drive through the outdoors. The only time I close the cover is when the sun makes it unbearable.

I used to distrust the mechanics and sunroof seals as well, but I have never had one leak or stop working in any car I've owned for the past 20yrs so I stopped thinking about that possibility.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I guess it would depend on size( that's what she said). I'm old enough to remember most sunroofs as mere slits...now days we have panoramic roofs and much more substantial openings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it would depend on size( that's what she said). I'm old enough to remember most sunroofs as mere slits...now days we have panoramic roofs and much more substantial openings.
Yes the old ones were bad, I still think the ones in cars are too small, but in an SUV with it open it almost feels like a convertible.

The Durango Hellcat build guide is live on the website. Here is what mine will look like.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Looks awesome I'm excited for all of us with orders in.I'm going to be a bit of a tool in not posting my build as I'm going for a hopefully more unique combo.I really wanted a 1 off B5 but the powers that be told me it would be too difficult.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks awesome I'm excited for all of us with orders in.I'm going to be a bit of a tool in not posting my build as I'm going for a hopefully more unique combo.I really wanted a 1 off B5 but the powers that be told me it would be too difficult.
Only 2000 built and you still want to be more unique? :) Well I am doing the same thing, as soon as I get it I'm dropping it off at my local custom vinyl shop because I have a design that I want them to add to it, so I'll be pretty unique once they are done with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts