Dodge Durango Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1008 Posts

·
Registered
Ordered 21 Durango R/T Tow 'N Go, DB Black, Black Leath, 2nd Capt
48 Posts
I have a 64gig thumb drive with about 50 gigs of music on it in USB#1 and it works great. I can even enable surround sound when using the USB.
I think Apple phones are little more buggy then Android based phones when it comes to inter-operation with the Uconnect 5 system.

The system is still leaps better than the 8.4" system even with it's flaws. The worst part about this whole issue is not the problems themselves, it is the lack of support from Dodge in getting firmware updates. Maybe Mopar is going back to the 90s when what you buy is what you get, no radio/nav updates even no PCM updates.
Glad to hear on the thumb drive.

I myself have Android. I'm sure I'll eventually use it to it's potential, but from the beginning it will likely only be for the benefit of making phone calls.

I can recall having a 2004 JGC with the Nav head unit that required having the disc inserted to use it, therefore eliminating playing a music CD if you wanted Nav. And it was already out of date for the roads in my area when I got it in 2008. I believe an updated CD was somewhere between $100-200, so I just lived with it.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Glad to hear on the thumb drive.

I myself have Android. I'm sure I'll eventually use it to it's potential, but from the beginning it will likely only be for the benefit of making phone calls.

I can recall having a 2004 JGC with the Nav head unit that required having the disc inserted to use it, therefore eliminating playing a music CD if you wanted Nav. And it was already out of date for the roads in my area when I got it in 2008. I believe an updated CD was somewhere between $100-200, so I just lived with it.
you will need Android Auto or Apple Car Play if you want to make calls and respond to text messages. Why? Because voice recognition in the new 10.1" took a step back to 2009 as it is terrible and I mean terrible.

·
Registered
Ordered 21 Durango R/T Tow 'N Go, DB Black, Black Leath, 2nd Capt
48 Posts
you will need Android Auto or Apple Car Play if you want to make calls and respond to text messages. Why? Because voice recognition in the new 10.1" took a step back to 2009 as it is terrible and I mean terrible.
Wonderful. Maybe I'll just stick to speaker phone or ear buds like I've been doing. I don't talk on the phone much in the car anyway, so no biggie.

Now, if they'd just ship the damn thing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I didn’t have to leave CarPlay and go into UConnect for anything, I wouldn’t.

The UI is a mess.

Buttons scattered everywhere, inscrutable icons that require you to stare at the screen to figure out (very safe while driving), tap targets that are way too small (top of the screen, anyone?) or sized in seemingly random ways, and far too much text that’s often illegible due to font/size/contrast with background.

Simple tasks like setting the climate control zones to sync are a needlessly frustrating (and distracting) experience.

At least the team responsible for the physical buttons below it did a really nice job. Aside from how it’s far too easy to hit the hazard button when putting a phone on the Qi charger, that is. Touchscreens are fine for certain things, but having more there physically than the prior dash is a huge win. Nothing’s easier than reaching down without looking, feeling the button you know will be there, and making the adjustment you need.

So, yeah. It’s CarPlay all day for me (which I’ll now use via USB, since the wireless stuff is unreliable, not to mention the slowest Qi charger ever), unless I’m forced to do otherwise.

·
Registered
633 Posts
not sure the relevance of this, but I got my new iphone 13 yesterday, so far (please don't let this post jinx me lol), wireless charging and car play seem to be working nicely... I know I'm toast after writing this lol..... maybe the new io15 or bluetooth or hardware, will allow for most stable connections... time will tell I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Ollie Crow

·
Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / ‘17 Viper ACR
317 Posts
not sure the relevance of this, but I got my new iphone 13 yesterday, so far (please don't let this post jinx me lol), wireless charging and car play seem to be working nicely... I know I'm toast after writing this lol..... maybe the new io15 or bluetooth or hardware, will allow for most stable connections... time will tell I guess.
I was about to say the same. ios15 seems to run smoother. I will also knock on wood on that, I want to stay it like that :D

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Another short fall with the system.

There is no sensitivity setting for Park sensors, just volume control. In my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee I found that UC system has 3 sensitivity settings for the park sensors.
When I was testing the sensitivity it seems the Durangos are equivalent to the Jeep highest sensitivity settings. Makes sense since my mail box triggers it when backing out of my driveway. LOL

If Dodge can't fix firmware on a uconnect system what the hell is going to happen when the 1st full electric mopar shows up in 2024? What a disaster that could be. :eek:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have noticed 2 small minor annoyances, I imagine they are related to ios15 not CP or Dodge, however they all work together lol:

1. Now all my contacts show with a comma ie. john, smith instead of john smith. which is fine until siri reads the name through CP as it adds a pause and more time especially on a text thread.
2. Now if you are using the car/siri command for a CP action, there is no "ding" so you don't know when to talk and when not to. very annoying to me. it was perfect before, unless it's a setting but I couldn't find any setting for that.

while themselves, very minor issues... they are annoying and not sure why if those items worked before now they don't lol? BUT, if the wireless CP connections stays stable, I'll be very happy...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was about to say the same. ios15 seems to run smoother. I will also knock on wood on that, I want to stay it like that :D
iOS 15 is definitely smoother and snappier, but hasn’t solved the issues I’ve run into (wife is still on iOS 14). iPhone 11, FWIW.

·
Registered
21 DDRT CLASSIV
134 Posts
Has anyone been using sirius Xm and set a song favorite?
Here is what I've noticed. When I set a favorite song thru sirius. The system will give a small notification (you can barely read) when that song is playing on your channel but the sound doesn't notify til after the text disappears. Shouldn't the sound come thru first or at least in sync with the notice?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Has anyone been using sirius Xm and set a song favorite?
Here is what I've noticed. When I set a favorite song thru sirius. The system will give a small notification (you can barely read) when that song is playing on your channel but the sound doesn't notify til after the text disappears. Shouldn't the sound come thru first or at least in sync with the notice?

In my long list of bugs i posted in this thread is your experience as well. Micro font, delayed notification tones, and a list of 20 other bugs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
again not trying to jinx anything but since I removed the 2nd phone/profile, and I'm just using it myself for now, and with my new iphone/IOS 15, car play seems to work and connect fine, including wireless. I'm very sure part of the problem is when multiple phones/profiles are listed/connected. If it works like this or if this is a workaround it's not so terrible as when it stays connected, all features seem to work perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've read a bunch of issues, but don't remember reading this one, so let me throw this out there.... Running 2 Android phones, both paired... Fav 1 set to Android Auto... Fav 2 set to phone and media.... When both are on... If fav 1 leaves the car and goes out of range while car still on, fav 2 remains connected..... When fav 1 returns within range, it will not reconnect... Have to turn off BT on fav 1 and turn back on???

Also when fav 1 connected, listening to SM on radio... I pick up fav 1, open an app like discord, join a chat... I can hear and talk thru car audio... When I leave chat room, expecting car audio to start back up, it doesn't... Have to change input/station to get response.... Thought it would make sense, in media output from phone where to stop, the last working radio function would kick back in??? Or am I hoping for too much?

Haha

941 - 960 of 1008 Posts