Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased the RT w/o the factory tow package. Dealer installed the Mopar tow hitch, harness and programmed the software. Wanted to order the factory brake controller integrated into the dash trim panel below the STOP/START button, unfortunately, the item is on back-order without an ETA.
BrakeControlKnob.jpeg
While searching for an aftermarket solution, I needed to identify whether the vehicle had the 4-pin harness in place. Located a 2019/2020 RAM 1500 brake controller package(82215278AD) installation guide (https://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82215278AD.pdf). On page 4, this guide indicated 2 harnesses(4-pin and 8-pin) both connect to the brake controller module. My assumption is the other side of the 8-pin connector routes to the center console where the outboard control resides. If this is the same module used in the late 2019 & 2020 Durango, it's likely an aftermarket controller could be used connected to the 4-pin, leaving the 8-pin unused.

Will try to carve out time this weekend to remove the under-dash panel and locate the 2 harnesses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am looking at doing the same thing and really very interested in hearing if the swap is feasible.
I had a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 I added factory integrated brake controller on and had it programmed at the dealership and it was really simple and worked amazing!
Im hoping it will be as simple a process as it was on the Ram 1500. We have been wanting an AWD HEMI with specific options ~ rear bucket seats/console - adaptive cruise - HK audio - Ventilated Seats (AZ) and have figured out almost none exist!
We really would like to find a 2019 as a certified preowned but again this is proving to be quite a daunting task.
we do not want to buy new as we bought new in the past and the new car incentives just can’t quite cover the loss of value in a new car purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Removed the trim panel yesterday and unable to locate either 4-pin or 8-pin harness.

Will look into whether the brake lamp trigger wire is available at the passenger-side harness at the C5 or C6 connector. Worst case, it's available at the brake pedal switch.

The ground, 12+vdc and electric trailer brake output should all be available at the engine bay harness.

The CURT Spectrum brake controller knob should fit nicely on the factory trim panel. Need to determine if there's room in the passenger side kick panel to mount the outboard controller.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Curt looks like the way to go but I still want to see if anyone can get the new (19 and up) integrated controller to work on a 14-18.
I bit the bill it and bought a 2019 with the factory trailer tow package and built in brake controller.
I still plan on buying another 14-18 and seeing if I can get the controller integrated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the 2019+ the factory setup is the way to go.
From what I've read the 2018 and earlier should have the 4-pin connector for the brake controller near the ODBII connector.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently purchased the RT w/o the factory tow package. Dealer installed the Mopar tow hitch, harness and programmed the software. Wanted to order the factory brake controller integrated into the dash trim panel below the STOP/START button, unfortunately, the item is on back-order without an ETA.
View attachment 108142
While searching for an aftermarket solution, I needed to identify whether the vehicle had the 4-pin harness in place. Located a 2019/2020 RAM 1500 brake controller package(82215278AD) installation guide (https://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82215278AD.pdf). On page 4, this guide indicated 2 harnesses(4-pin and 8-pin) both connect to the brake controller module. My assumption is the other side of the 8-pin connector routes to the center console where the outboard control resides. If this is the same module used in the late 2019 & 2020 Durango, it's likely an aftermarket controller could be used connected to the 4-pin, leaving the 8-pin unused.

Will try to carve out time this weekend to remove the under-dash panel and locate the 2 harnesses.
Yes it has 4-pin and 8-pin both connectors and the brake controller module on my 2019 Durango. But you need adjust controller for breaks my stop at 6-7 on 5000 pounds trailer. One experienced man told me - do not push gas pedal let it run with trailer and adjust controller number to exactly when you press break it stops. Magically his advice worked out perfect, so I’m sharing my experience

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also purchased a 2020 Dodge Durango R/T. The brake controller harness was missing from my car as well. The dealer told me the integrated one from the factor is being reengineered, so they are not installing the wiring harness on the new ones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also purchased a 2020 Dodge Durango R/T. The brake controller harness was missing from my car as well. The dealer told me the integrated one from the factor is being reengineered, so they are not installing the wiring harness on the new ones.
Does the truck have the factory tow package? Nothing about that sounds right... sounds like a line from the dealership, I just can’t see Chrysler doing something like that.
I test drove at least 3 2020’s that all had factory tow package with the built in brake controller.
Somethings up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree with Mopower76. My guess, is the dealer is confusing the harness for the one that runs to the rear tow hitch.
The 2020 version when ordered with the tow package from the factory will have the brake controller installed. If you order the tow hitch and harness from the dealer it will not include the brake controller harness that runs to the in-dash controller.
I can see at some point it would be possible to order the 2020 brake controller module, which would include the harness that connects the in-dash control to the brake control module and the harness from the brake control module to the vehicle C5 or C6 connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the truck have the factory tow package? Nothing about that sounds right... sounds like a line from the dealership, I just can’t see Chrysler doing something like that.
I test drove at least 3 2020’s that all had factory tow package with the built in brake controller.
Somethings up.
I am not talking about cars with factory installed tow packages. I am talking about the 2020 Dodge Durango’s without the factory installed tow package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not talking about cars with factory installed tow packages. I am talking about the 2020 Dodge Durango’s without the factory installed tow package.
I have a 19 R/T and I am running into problems installing an aftermarket brake controller... it seems that the 4 pin harness is missing in the 19 and 20 models w/o factory tow package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 19 R/T and I am running into problems installing an aftermarket brake controller... it seems that the 4 pin harness is missing in the 19 and 20 models w/o factory tow package.
We’re you able to find anything I just bought the 2020 Durango without tow package and had the dealer install the hitch and harness and I can’t seem to figure out where I can tap into a wire for the brake controller

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removed the trim panel yesterday and unable to locate either 4-pin or 8-pin harness.
View attachment 108240
View attachment 108243

Will look into whether the brake lamp trigger wire is available at the passenger-side harness at the C5 or C6 connector. Worst case, it's available at the brake pedal switch.
View attachment 108241

The ground, 12+vdc and electric trailer brake output should all be available at the engine bay harness.
View attachment 108242

The CURT Spectrum brake controller knob should fit nicely on the factory trim panel. Need to determine if there's room in the passenger side kick panel to mount the outboard controller.
View attachment 108244
Did you figure out where to tap into the wire for the brake controller the dealership is no help I have a 2020 sxt plus and had them put the tow package and the 7 pin wire harness in however they don’t have a brake controller so I bought an after market but I can’t find the wire that the brakes activate with, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you figure out where to tap into the wire for the brake controller the dealership is no help I have a 2020 sxt plus and had them put the tow package and the 7 pin wire harness in however they don’t have a brake controller so I bought an after market but I can’t find the wire that the brakes activate with, any help would be appreciated
After trying to figure out where to get a brake signal to run the red wire on the brake controller harness I was able to connect to the 3rd brake light (I used 16 gauge red automotive wire) I will attach pictures. Also the blue cable that runs back to the 7 pin is just dangling under the fuse box under the hood. The power cable I will hook up from the positive pole on the fuse box with a 20 amp in line fuse. I will use a connector on the blue cable and run it into the vehicle at the rubber grommet by the steering column (I am not using the factory fuse). The power cable will also be ran into that grommet (both cables are 12 gauge) and then I will be wiring the ground to the body. I had to buy an aftermarket harness to connect the wires to. I chose Reese, however you can use any universal harness. Hope this helps. I will attach more photos once this is complete
4C7CA806-5219-4969-8E24-4C4DF426A56D.jpeg
A319F31C-27BB-4F03-B341-60F75E20BB28.jpeg
FA565D25-9CF2-469B-B701-D4F345591F02.jpeg
DA159421-1297-46E8-873E-4A865CC69ACE.jpeg
E9D6EA0F-C034-423C-87DF-68450F80A980.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 108142

Do you have a parts list cause i am about to have to this very thing? We are purchasing a 2019 Durango RT AWD w/o towing package. I would like to add the factory stuff for the look and placement. I have been trying to locate all the part that are required to make it a factory OEM setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had dodge do the tow hitch and wire the 7 pin, the only thing they could not do was the brake controller. I had to hardwire that

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had dodge do the tow hitch and wire the 7 pin, the only thing they could not do was the brake controller. I had to hardwire that

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
The parts I used were 3 (12 gauge wires) from advance auto parts, it is a black, a blue, and a white. The red wire is 16 gauge and is the wire that attaches to the rear 3rd brake light. You can test this with a circuit tester. The wire that lights up when u press the brake pedal is the one you connect it to using a blue splice connecter also from advance. Then tuck the cable in on the drivers side in the plastics all the way up to the front of the car near the emergency brake. Leave enough to run it to you after Market harness for your brake controller, then run 3 (12 gauge) wires in through the rubber grommet on the passenger side firewall / wrap them in electrical tape, then go behind the center console closer to the front of the firewall across to the drivers side and let those wires hang. Now run the red wire to the others out of the way of the pedals. And connect all of them to the universal wire harness plug/ separate from the the brake controller but will plug into what brake controller you buy. I chose Reese proportional from Amazon I will include links. Then the wires connect using yellow butt connectors on the 12 gauge and blue butt connector on the red 16 gauge. Then the power cable (black) gets connected to a in line fuse and you either use a 20 or 30 amp fuse with it and it gets connected to the batter with an o connector.DO THIS LAST. The white cable then goes to the ground which gets connected on the passenger side body near the firewall using a o connector. Then the blue connects to the blue from the factory 7 pin. The dealer will leave this wire unconnected under the fuse box under the hood. once all connected plug in the brake controller and mount it on the felt on the right side under the dash right near the plastic push pin. Here is a list of parts.

If they don’t have white or blue you can use yellow for blue and green For white (ground) or any color you choose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All

I just installed the factory brake control module in my wife's 2020 durango RT. A bit pricey but not that complicated. If anyone is interested let me know and i will send a part list and instructions.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts