Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 R/T, I've noticed that when its in sport mode and I'm slowing to a stop that its almost like its holding onto a certain gear and then once I am stopped or almost completely stopped it will suddenly lunge forward into another gear. I've learned to anticipate it but its still very surprising. I'm just wondering if that's normal or not. No issues in any other mode just sport. thanks!

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I think it is normal as my previous 8 speed Hemi's did this. However, 2021 Dodge nailed sport mode and it is a perfect setup. No throttle lag whatsoever and the trans stays in gear much longer for spirited driving. Can you see what gear you are in when it does this? My Challenger did it but I felt it was more of the transmission going into free wheeling (neutral) at the stop. It was a weird feeling and like you, I got used to it.

· Registered
115 Posts
Sounds normal from my experience. It tries to stay in RPM bands that have a better throttle response and power band for when you switch from braking to acceleration. These are RPM bands that are not good for gas mileage, nor towing and snow use of course, so you don't feel it in "normal" or those other modes. This is very similar to what a manual transmission driver will do on road vs track use.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is normal as my previous 8 speed Hemi's did this. However, 2021 Dodge nailed sport mode and it is a perfect setup. No throttle lag whatsoever and the trans stays in gear much longer for spirited driving. Can you see what gear you are in when it does this? My Challenger did it but I felt it was more of the transmission going into free wheeling (neutral) at the stop. It was a weird feeling and like you, I got used to it.
I think you're right, maybe it is neutral. Because you can definitely feel it wanting to go and pulling, then once it lunges no more fighting. Its so sensitive though its tricky!

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I think you're right, maybe it is neutral. Because you can definitely feel it wanting to go and pulling, then once it lunges no more fighting. Its so sensitive though its tricky!
Check with your dealer if there is a transmission firmware update.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have the same year and model and that’s what mine does too. As mentioned before, it’s just trying to always stay in the power band. Was a fun surprise the first few times we experienced it haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts