Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The beats system is garbage can’t stand it .
The alpine from my 2015 was way better

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I think the Alpine system is garbage compared to the Boston Acoustics system in my 300....so I'm starting to think the best sounding system might be the base system in the D....though I haven't heard the beats or HK in the D. I certainly wouldn't pay the $1K upcharge for the Alpine system again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m shopping for a ‘21 now, and am actively looking for one without the HK audio. My folks just got a ‘20 Grand Cherokee, and the Alpine is much less shrill and less fatiguing to listen to. A bit muddy, but better to my ears.

2020 Durango Citadel AWD, 3.6
I just too delivery on my 2021 Durango RT with the $1K HK 19 speaker system. It is really bad and I am disappointed as I traded a 2020 Ram Laramie with the great Alpine sound system. The HK thing sounds very tinny no matter where you set it. And to quote someone else on this tread, it sounds like a cheap set of headphones... A few songs from by Android are just OK, but that is it... If I knew than what I know now, I would not have added the HK 19 speaker system!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is disappointing to hear as I just specd it in my new Durango Hellcat. My current SRT Durango I added a subwoofer in the floor bin and it sounds way better. Guess I’ll do that on my new one

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,733 Posts
Alpine FTW! Have it in my 2008 DD and my 2014 JGC.

Also had the Alpine system in my departed 2013 Citadel and it sounded great.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
215 Posts
What’s sad is my alpine in my 2014 R/T was the best.
My wife has a 2014 Charger with the Beats system. When she first got in my DDRT with the Alpine she immediately commented on how great it sounded, even compared to her Beats system in her car. The Alpine straight up in my 2013 DDRT is the best sounding system I have ever had in a vehicle, hands down. I'm talking no mods, just straight up stock from the factory.

I typically run my iPod through the AUX port and play my music that way. Bluetooth from a phone just sucks in my opinion, but I'm totally old-school with TECH so I'm sure I'm not doing something right.

Sucks to hear the H/K is no good. The name certainly suggests that it would be very nice.

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just too delivery on my 2021 Durango RT with the $1K HK 19 speaker system. It is really bad and I am disappointed as I traded a 2020 Ram Laramie with the great Alpine sound system. The HK thing sounds very tinny no matter where you set it. And to quote someone else on this tread, it sounds like a cheap set of headphones... A few songs from by Android are just OK, but that is it... If I knew than what I know now, I would not have added the HK 19 speaker system!
I also took delivery of my 2021 Durango RT with the HK - 19 Speaker system. So far it is just mediocre, not very musical at all. Certain songs sound ok but nothing which make jump out of your seat. I had a 2015 DD and had Hertz's speakers throughout with an Alpine amp. Much better sound.. I will probably change the front door speakers and add a 10inch sub.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
215 Posts
I would say "who the heck tested these systems to be suitable for this platform?" but I know better. It's all about money and the contract cut at the time of manufacturing. I got lucky without even knowing it when I got the Alpine system in my DD.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I noticed the new JGC went with McIntosh for the premium sound and dropped HK....and word was because of complaints on the HK system. So someone is listening at HQ.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed the new JGC went with McIntosh for the premium sound and dropped HK....and word was because of complaints on the HK system. So someone is listening at HQ.
If only HQ had listened to the HK system, maybe it wouldn’t have gone into production.

2020 Durango Citadel AWD, 3.6

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Yeah, the HK probably wasn't tuned for the Durango/JGC, so they most likely just threw the same components in that is in the LX cars is my guess. But maybe its all been downgraded over the years with cost reductions required by FCA. Let's face it, FCA was for sale the last several years of Sergio M's reign and he was active in selling it which means you need to keep the balance sheet strong...ie, keep costs low and sales high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 WB Scat Pack Challengers HK system sounded pretty good and had decent base. We purchased a 2020 RT Durango with the same HK system and it doesnt sound close to the Challengers HK system in clarity and base. It sounded OK with public radio stations, but CD's, USB plug in devises and CD's sounded much better on the Challengers system that is supposedly the same as the Durango. It is not, especially the base. On a side note, why does the EQ only have 3 frequency's that can be changed? My 35 YO Technics rack system has an EQ that has 7 frequency's that can be changed...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had the Alpine in my 2012, it was awesome. Lots of hard hitting bass. Got my 2015 with Beats. AWEFULL. No bass at all. Sounded like it was going to blow out the speakers. Horrible sound. Got my 2021 with the Alpine base system again and its again AWESOME. The Alpine systems are the best.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 5.0 Uconnect in my Ram 3500 sounds pretty decent really, I guess this is a lower end Alpine? I have the HK system in my DD as I posted months back in this thread and it is sooo much more technically accurate than other systems I've heard. If you use a proper source and play it at a medium or higher level its incredible the lack of distortion. Play at low level on an SXM source and its not so great. If you pay retail for the package its of low value given how good the base system is in the D, but I feel like I stole my D so that is probably coloring my enthusiasm for the HK upgrade.

·
Registered
2019 Durango R/T w/ Blacktop Package
1 Posts
Hey all, first post here! Just picked up a lightly used 19 DDRT (that how you say it here, lol) with the HK audio system, and I am pretty disappointed. I keep trying different tunes and different sources at different volumes, and even them only some songs are OK. My other car a Forester also has HK audio, and it sounds fantastic!

I am seeing other disscusion on the web about Jeeps and Ram trucks with similar issues and similar audio systems. It looks like they have a Techinical Service Bulliten (TSB 08-123-18 for the Ram) Sounds like the amp for speakers and woofer are not getting enough volutage and the TSB resolves the issue. Has anyone heard if there is a TSB for the Durango, could a dodge dealer apply the TSB for a Ram truck to a Durango. Arent the UConnect systems almost identical year to year?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts