Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching forum but didn't see much on this issue.

Just got myself the new 2020 Durango with the H/K 19 speaker package. The sound is very weak and the bass almost does not exist. I've read elsewhere people have come up with solutions and such but I haven't tried any of them. Has anyone here had any problems or found ways to improve the sound. Coming from my F150 HD that has very amazing sound and bass to this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The exact same complaint in the new Ram world as well. The HK leaves little to be desired. The alpine system is perfect with the subwoofer.

Ram has had updates to their HK systems but owners are still less than enthused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took in into dodge and was told by there, very old rusty looking radio guy, the sub is on, he could feel it bumping on the enclosure where it's stored. When I asked him if this all sounded like a $1000 upgraded 19 speaker system with a 10" sub he went mute. Said bring it back Tuesday and they will check it all out. I'm about to take it to a car stereo store and see what they think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took in into dodge and was told by there, very old rusty looking radio guy, the sub is on, he could feel it bumping on the enclosure where it's stored. When I asked him if this all sounded like a $1000 upgraded 19 speaker system with a 10" sub he went mute. Said bring it back Tuesday and they will check it all out. I'm about to take it to a car stereo store and see what they think.
There are updates for the HK for the Rams. Maybe they can cross reference and see if there is one for the Durango.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just got myself the new 2020 Durango with the H/K 19 speaker package. The sound is very weak and the bass almost does not exist. I've read elsewhere people have come up with solutions and such but I haven't tried any of them. Has anyone here had any problems or found ways to improve the sound. Coming from my F150 HD that has very amazing sound and bass to this has left a bad taste in my mouth.
I have a 2019 Citadel with the same issue. Dealer shaped out the system with a new one and the results were the same damn thing! Dull sound with no bass! Chrysler tech did research on the problem as an elevated service issue and the reply from Chrysler was that the system is performing as designed! DON'T PURCHASE A DD WITH THIS SYSYEM IN IT AS YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY UNHAPPY WITH THE SOUND AND AROUND $995 lighter in the wallet ! ! !

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT
35 Posts
Is this an across-the-board issue, or hit and miss? I just ordered my DDSRT two weeks ago with the upgraded HK system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd guess all of them, it's "working as intended" per Dodge but is sorely lacking in bass. The Alpine system sounds a lot better IMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Howdy, just picked up a left over 2019 R/T with the HK system, I think it sounds fantastic. The source definitely matters, XM channels for instance are compressed, so the dynamic range is limited. Pandora sounds much better, to me. In some ways the system reminds me of Bose in that there is a strong logic built in to reproduce the sound accurately, as it was recorded. What I mean is a country song for instance isn't going to hit like hip hop does. I think the big thing the 825 watts allows for is accuracy at high volume. Most people think it lots of punchy bass and artificial highs are what sound good, but engineers think otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howdy, just picked up a left over 2019 R/T with the HK system, I think it sounds fantastic. The source definitely matters, XM channels for instance are compressed, so the dynamic range is limited. Pandora sounds much better, to me. In some ways the system reminds me of Bose in that there is a strong logic built in to reproduce the sound accurately, as it was recorded. What I mean is a country song for instance isn't going to hit like hip hop does. I think the big thing the 825 watts allows for is accuracy at high volume. Most people think it lots of punchy bass and artificial highs are what sound good, but engineers think otherwise.
There's no doubt it sounds amazing, I just feel it's underwhelming in the bass area. If there is a 10" sub in the back, I shouldn't have to find the perfect source and max the levels out to hear it. I have played some music from my phone and it sounds perfect. Highs are good, bass is there. But it has to be the right song. Happens about 10% of my music listening, and my playlist has all genres almost. But something else that irks me is if I am listening to it at a low-mid volume, the lack of bass even from the rest of the speakers is so low, it sounds like a cheap pair of headphones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is another thread on the fact that surround sound is not functional on Sirius/XM on the HK systems. 2020 Durango surround (Amp) sound wont go on with sirius I found that playing music through my phone Sirius/XM app and Android auto sounds a lot better. I also found that I need to set the volume at around 17 versus 13-15 on the Alpine or Beats system to get quality sound and bass.

·
Registered
3 Posts

You must have a defective system or something because mine sounds amazing! I just got a new 2020 rt Durango last Saturday from the factory in Canada and I love it. Although it seems to be louder when the engine is off and the car is set to on. Not sure if that’s because of the motor noise or what. I was listening to xm today and bass sounded loud. Had to lower it to 5 when I usually have it on 8. Not sure if there might have been a update or what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Citadel with the same issue. Dealer shaped out the system with a new one and the results were the same damn thing! Dull sound with no bass! Chrysler tech did research on the problem as an elevated service issue and the reply from Chrysler was that the system is performing as designed! DON'T PURCHASE A DD WITH THIS SYSYEM IN IT AS YOU WILL BE COMPLETELY UNHAPPY WITH THE SOUND AND AROUND $995 lighter in the wallet ! ! !
My car was just manufactured last month. It’s a 2020 Durango rt blacktop and the hk sounds amazing. The subwoofer hits way harder than my beats System did by far.

·
Registered
109 Posts
source makes the difference! XM is horribly compressed. Most internet streaming is compressed as well. HD-radio - yup compressed.

If you want a good source you either use the aux in to a good music player, a CD, or USB-connected source playing uncompressed audio files or at least 320kbps 16-bit MP3's. With good sources I get good sound.

I did 2 thing:

1) I copied my 320 kbps MP3 music library to a USB stick and played it from that (this had some problems including a very long time for the HU to read the catalog, inability to parse certain characters in files and ignoring songs, random play only picking a handfull of songs to randomly play...etc)

2) uploaded my entire 320 kbps MP3 music library to itunes and play my library through my phone. This is NOT the same as just using itunes which uses lower quality settings. This of course required a good 4G cell reception and an unlimited data plan.

I use #2 now as the USB stick along with my phones plugged into the HU was causing intermittent electrical problems....but yeah it sounds fine as long as your source is of high quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts