Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a quirky behavior with Uconnect and just wanted to ask if this is normal and if there's a way to address it (or if it even needs to be addressed).

I just plugged in a 512 GB memory stick into Uconnect. It was properly formatted with FAT32 and Uconnect can see the content on it.

The drive is about half full and contains about 30,000 songs.

1 top directory. 100 or so artist directories under that, and then album directories under that.

When I browse the collection I don't have any problems picking any random song and playing it.

However when I enable random play across the top of the display it indicates "x out of 9012". Does this mean that random play has a limit of 9012 songs or that it's only seeing 9012 songs of some 30,000?

I haven't played with it too much but so far it doesn't appear that 2/3 of my collection is missing...but that display is showing about 1/3 of the total songs on the drive in that one place.

·
Registered
2017 durango sxt,tinted windows,Cooper tires, oem splash guards, husky liners, avs vent shades,Clean
183 Posts
Just did this with a 32gb Scandisc...loved all the options Uconnect provides...genres, albums, artists, etc...pretty cool. I was seriously thinking about installing a CD player til I came across this option. Love it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yeah, with 200+ artists and 30k songs, the navigation gets a little cumbersome, but after a CD player this is really the best way to get decent audio in a car.

HD radio is 128 kbits (lower quality than regular FM but less static and interference)
Sirius and XM is 32 kbits (which is why I would never pay for it - I wouldn't even listen to it if it came for free for 5 years).
most internet streaming is 128 kbits or less, and a lot of cell phone companies limit audio streaming to MUCH lower bitrates (which is why they can offer unlimited streaming)
Bluetooth AT BEST can do 328 kbits, but due to other overhead the sound quality won't be as good as 320 kbit mp3 audio - so you either have to use a USB drive and play the music on the HU or use the audio jack to connect your phone to your stereo (assuming your phone has a high quality DAC).

at least I can use 320 kbit MP3's....which is beyond most people's ability to hear "better", especially in a car stereo, even a good one.

I was very disappointed with the audio quality of the new HK 19 speaker system....until I got home and plugged in a 320 kbit transfer of the Marantz test disc....much better. On top of that most broadcast and streamed audio is so over-compressed (I mean not just from a data stream perspective, but from an audio perspective) that it all sounds like garbage, even on sound systems that cost 10's of thousands.

It always makes me chuckle when I visit someone's house and they show me this really expensive sound system they installed...and use it to stream internet music.

Update - so yes, at least the upgraded HK Uconnect in my 2019 can read NTFS, so reformatting and re-copying 260 gigs of music. We'll see how it reads in about 3 hours (USB card reader isn't USB3 - otherwise it wouldn't take that long).

Got this on order -

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTQZS4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update 2: NTFS formatted storage works fine. Still seeing 9212 songs total. Going to mess around with directory structure to see where the limitation/problem is.

It looks like I can browse and pick any random song and can't find anything missing if I browse artists or albums but I only see 9212 total songs if I browse all songs.

I see some people on the Ram forums having the same problem and were able to fix it by rearranging their directories so I'll try that.

Also Uconnect sorts by artist not album artist which are different mp3 tags. Thus makes things somewhat annoying as it will sort an album where different band members arw credited as having written songs under different artists. Have to see if there's a way to batch-process 30k mp3 tags to copy the album artist info into thr artist info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 64GB USB flash drive with about 6,400 songs. My Uconnect only shows about 5,300. I have no idea why. In addition, my Uconnect does not show the album art for every album, only about half, although the files in the flash drive all have album art.

Would a USB Card work better than the flash drive? Keep me posted!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have a 64GB USB flash drive with about 6,400 songs. My Uconnect only shows about 5,300. I have no idea why. In addition, my Uconnect does not show the album art for every album, only about half, although the files in the flash drive all have album art.

no, the two look exactly the same to the device reading.

I do have SOME ideas of why not all songs are visible. After some poking around, I noticed that some of the mp3 metadata has invalid characters like "/". When badly-written software encounters these and can't read the filename or metadata it just ignores them. Most computers handle these with no problems, but embedded systems like Uconnect or your cheapo MP3 player from China may not. I spent a few hours cleaning up some of my metadata tags and will see if the number of files Uconnect can see goes up.

As for album art, depending on your mp3 tags, the art may or may not be embedded in the file itself. Not sure if Uconnect reads these or if it needs an album art file separate from the mp3...but that's why some work and some done....just not sure which yet.

If you're using Windows mp3tag is a VERY powerful free mp3 editing tool.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update 3:

ok DEFINITELY made some progress! Uconnect now seeing exactly 20000 songs.

what I did:

1) use mp3tag to rename all my songs using artist-year-album-tracknumber-trackname format and moved everything to a single top-level directory on my flash drive
2) cleaned up all the odd characters in my mp3 metadata

the script that creates filenames based on metadata breaks if there are odd characters in the metadata fields used to make the filename so that process helped identify bad metadata characters. The fact that I'm seeing exactly 20000 makes me think this is some kind of limit. Either a hard limit for Uconnect or a limit on how many songs can be kept in a single directory.

next thing I'm going to try is splitting the music collection into 2 directories.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update 4:

multiple directories didn't help. Looks like for the 2019 HK Uconnect there's a hard limit of 20,000 songs per USB device.

So if your music files don't have any funky characters Uconnect doesn't like in either the filename or file metadata you should be able to see 20,000 songs.

I also noticed that if you put everything into a single directory, use a fast flash device, and have a USB3 interface the initial scan is very fast - about 30-45 seconds for 20,000 files.

Had to edit my collection down to under 20,000 songs. So while you can use essentially any size drive you want, since you can only present 20,000 songs to Uconnect there are practical limits as you won't be able to use more than the space required to hold 20k songs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Update 3:

ok DEFINITELY made some progress! Uconnect now seeing exactly 20000 songs.

what I did:

1) use mp3tag to rename all my songs using artist-year-album-tracknumber-trackname format and moved everything to a single top-level directory on my flash drive
2) cleaned up all the odd characters in my mp3 metadata

the script that creates filenames based on metadata breaks if there are odd characters in the metadata fields used to make the filename so that process helped identify bad metadata characters. The fact that I'm seeing exactly 20000 makes me think this is some kind of limit. Either a hard limit for Uconnect or a limit on how many songs can be kept in a single directory.

next thing I'm going to try is splitting the music collection into 2 directories.
This is great news!

1) can you discuss mp3tag in detail? I am using windows and will try this tonight. What do you mean by "moved everything to a single top-level directory on my flash drive"?
2) how did you clean up odd characters in your "mp3 metadata?
3) are you able to create playlists with mp3tag? The program I am using now allows me to copy the playlists from iTunes onto the MP3 to play through Uconnect. Before discovering the program, I had some issues creating playlists.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is great news!

1) can you discuss mp3tag in detail? I am using windows and will try this tonight. What do you mean by "moved everything to a single top-level directory on my flash drive"?
2) how did you clean up odd characters in your "mp3 metadata?
3) are you able to create playlists with mp3tag? The program I am using now allows me to copy the playlists from iTunes onto the MP3 to play through Uconnect. Before discovering the program, I had some issues creating playlists.
it's kind of a lot to get into and the post would take pages to go over everything you asked but yes, mp3tag can do ALL the things you ask about. mp3tag let's you manipulate all aspects of music metadata. Essentially it automates the process of scripting batch changes that can be applied to very large numbers of files (I did it on over 20k files at once and it took less than a minute on a moderately fast flash drive).

the simple stuff - you can just drag and drop either your entire music collection or 1 song right into the mp3tag window and start. You can do everything from manually edit metadata info, to pull music info from various online sources, to embed album art (watch those image sizes!) to change the filename of your song, to move and sort entire music collection.

It's a VERY powerful program and gives you a lot of rope you hang yourself with if you don't quite know what you're doing. I would make a copy of your music collection for learning/experimenting. Being at least familiar with Windows or Linux scripting helps, even though you don't actually need to write any scripts some of the advanced functionality uses the same syntax as scripting.

Read the manual, google "mp3tag how to....." and it'll take you in the right direction. It took me a few hours to sort out my whole collection (I do have to maintain 2 different copies now - 1 for my home media server and 1 for Uconnect, but mp3tag not only lets you do that but lets so save your actions so you can process new music and re-process as necessary.

Interestingly enough you CAN use mp3tab to resort your music back into a directory structure from a flat single directory structure using the information in the metadata if it's properly formatted.

as for what I mean by "moved everything into a single top level directory" - I took an empty NTFS-formatted flash drive, created 1 directory called "MUSIC" and COPIED (not moved) all my mp3's into it. But in the move, I had mp3tag rename all the files using artist-year-album-tracknumber-trackname format so even though all my music is in 1 directory, an alphabetical sort will still keep all music from the same album grouped together.

mp3tag will:

make playlists
let you edit any information contained in the mp3 tag on individual files, albums, or entire collections
let you embed/change album art
rename song files
move or copy song files based on information contained in the mp3 tag
copy any metadata field into a different metadata field (example: copy the "album artist" info from a track into the "artist" field, for thousands of files as a batch job)
pull missing metadata info from various internet repositories and apply it to your music (I would only do this 1 album at a time). It does NOT "listen" to the song and try to identify it. It just looks up info based on what you tell it the song is or what it reads from the metadata).
replace characters or strings in metadata with different characters or strings (replace "/" or space with "_" for example)
update mp3 tag versions
lots more

I do not work for mp3tag, but I've been using it for a very long time to "clean" bad mp3 metadata on a music collection with over 30,000 songs. Another similar program is MediaMonkey. Also very powerful and lets you do a lot of the same stuff and has some extra features, but it's not free.

·
Registered
86 Posts
it's kind of a lot to get into and the post would take pages to go over everything you asked but yes, mp3tag can do ALL the things you ask about. mp3tag let's you manipulate all aspects of music metadata. Essentially it automates the process of scripting batch changes that can be applied to very large numbers of files (I did it on over 20k files at once and it took less than a minute on a moderately fast flash drive).

the simple stuff - you can just drag and drop either your entire music collection or 1 song right into the mp3tag window and start. You can do everything from manually edit metadata info, to pull music info from various online sources, to embed album art (watch those image sizes!) to change the filename of your song, to move and sort entire music collection.

It's a VERY powerful program and gives you a lot of rope you hang yourself with if you don't quite know what you're doing. I would make a copy of your music collection for learning/experimenting. Being at least familiar with Windows or Linux scripting helps, even though you don't actually need to write any scripts some of the advanced functionality uses the same syntax as scripting.

Read the manual, google "mp3tag how to....." and it'll take you in the right direction. It took me a few hours to sort out my whole collection (I do have to maintain 2 different copies now - 1 for my home media server and 1 for Uconnect, but mp3tag not only lets you do that but lets so save your actions so you can process new music and re-process as necessary.

Interestingly enough you CAN use mp3tab to resort your music back into a directory structure from a flat single directory structure using the information in the metadata if it's properly formatted.

as for what I mean by "moved everything into a single top level directory" - I took an empty NTFS-formatted flash drive, created 1 directory called "MUSIC" and COPIED (not moved) all my mp3's into it. But in the move, I had mp3tag rename all the files using artist-year-album-tracknumber-trackname format so even though all my music is in 1 directory, an alphabetical sort will still keep all music from the same album grouped together.

mp3tag will:

make playlists
let you edit any information contained in the mp3 tag on individual files, albums, or entire collections
let you embed/change album art
rename song files
move or copy song files based on information contained in the mp3 tag
copy any metadata field into a different metadata field (example: copy the "album artist" info from a track into the "artist" field, for thousands of files as a batch job)
pull missing metadata info from various internet repositories and apply it to your music (I would only do this 1 album at a time). It does NOT "listen" to the song and try to identify it. It just looks up info based on what you tell it the song is or what it reads from the metadata).
replace characters or strings in metadata with different characters or strings (replace "/" or space with "_" for example)
update mp3 tag versions
lots more

I do not work for mp3tag, but I've been using it for a very long time to "clean" bad mp3 metadata on a music collection with over 30,000 songs. Another similar program is MediaMonkey. Also very powerful and lets you do a lot of the same stuff and has some extra features, but it's not free.
Thank you for all this helpful info! I will start playing around with it this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts

With album art it all depends on the file attributes used in applying to the tag. I have found that most players can read up to 600X600 and 250kb or less.... Some players will read higher but I have standardized my tags with jps at 600x600 and less the 250kb in size, and the Uconnect in my Gladiator hasnt missed any album art yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Same with mine. No album art from ripped songs from a real cd I have only from purchased download. So mad I can't get Metallicas And justice for all the play but every other album from them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts