Dodge Durango Forum banner

2019 Durango RT Trailer Brake Controller

39K views 104 replies 22 participants last post by  DDLilith 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!! I just purchased a 19 Durango RT for the hemi and the extra towing capacity. I previously had a traverse with a towing package. I like a moron didnt buy the Durango with the Hitch factory installed. The dealer insisted they could install the towing hitch to factory specs so instead of waitng for one to arrive I went with the one they had at the dealership. In my old vehicle I had the tekonsha brake controller installed which i installed myself. I watched a ton of youtube videos where people installed the brake controller on a durango in like 5 minutes. For some reason my vehicle does not have the connector that is installed in the previous model year vehicles. I even took it to the dealer and they could not find the connector. Has anyone else encountered this issue or is this something new for the 19 vehicles? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
you can install the tow hitch and B.C.and add thr harness however the tow package also comes with load-leveling rear shocks, transmission oil cooler, and a full-sized spare as well.

the tow rating on non-factory hitches is lower....at least that's what I've read. I just ordered one WITH the factory tow package for that reason.

I read that 18s have the connections for the wiring under the bumper but haven't seen any 19s. there's also something that must be enabled in the ECU to avoid some electrical sensors getting confused while you're towing. The dealer can do it and usually charges about $65.

#3 ·
Thanks for responding. On the 2019 those features come standard on the RT. I have a mopar Class IV hitch and wiring harness. For some reason I dont have that connector under the dash to quick connect my BC like the previous model years. I plan on taking it back to my dealer in a couple of days and hopefully they will be able to figure it out.

#8 ·
Just an update. Took my durango back to the dealer. They took it to a local trailer shop. The shop could not find the harness to connect the brake controller. So apparently the 2019 does not come with a harness. Now the dealer thinks they are going to order the proper harness. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

#10 ·
I also month ago purchased 2019 Durango RT 5.7L HEMI. I like SUV and also needed towing capacity. My trailer weight 6000 pounds. I have towing package IV and Electronic brake controller installed already by factory.
I'm wandering if it have Transmission cooler, or maybe it installed by default. I read sticker and nowhere it says about transmission cooler. My car have only 500 miles so I'm waiting get at least 1000-2000 miles before tow trailer. Just don't want to break brand new engine.

#11 ·
I also month ago purchased 2019 Durango RT 5.7L HEMI. I like SUV and also needed towing capacity. My trailer weight 6000 pounds. I have towing package IV and Electronic brake controller installed already by factory.
I'm wandering if it have Transmission cooler, or maybe it installed by default. I read sticker and nowhere it says about transmission cooler. My car have only 500 miles so I'm waiting get at least 1000-2000 miles before tow trailer. Just don't want to break brand new engine.
Tow Package IV has the transmission cooler included.

#14 ·
I have a 2019 DD R/T. I ordered the factory hitch and installed it myself. I can confirm that the harness for the trailer connector is no longer there - unless I just completely went blind and missed it. I saw plenty of you tube videos and checked a friends R/T (2017) that had it. Mopar's website is showing what looks like to be the harness and trailer connector as a package (no pic) - part# 82216007AB.

I'm using the hitch for racks, not planning on pulling a trailer. Still, I was disappointed. If I change my mind I'll probably just get a kit from curts or something along those lines..

#15 ·
You can get the factory tow on all models . I just took delivery of a 2020 SXT with the factory tow with the brake controller incorporated into the dash where you adjust it . I dont tow anything heavy enough to have to use the brake controller but nice to know it's there.

#16 ·
Yes, I think we all understand that the tow package is available installed from the factory. For those of us that bought an 2019 R/T without the tow package installed (hitch, harness), the new integrated controller is the question. The tow harness is readily available for installation, I did it last month. How do we get it or.....how can we integrate our own controller into the vehicle since the OEM plug is no longer present at its previous location with earlier year models?

For year 2019 and 2020 mopar accessory catalog still shows a digital controller that is mounted under the dash and connects to the plug that is no longer present. Installation instructions are dated June 2016.

#19 ·
Another one. This it from an SRT for sale. It’s closer so looks like maybe that panel gets changed out too? I’d add it if I didn’t already have mine in a good spot.

This is mine in my r/t. I actually slid it over to the left more than what’s pictured. Cable was too short lol

#23 ·
I am in the process of installing the factory wiring harness P/N 82216007AB on a 2019 Durango I would also like to add a brake controller, the wiring seems to leave the fuse block but I’m not sure where I would find the other end of the wires to connect a brake controller troller since we are missing the connector by the obd2 port.
Has anyone solved the brake controller issue on a 2019 or 2020 without the factory tow package?

also not sure where to connect the wire from the 7pin connector for the brakes. It’s just heat shrinked at the end in the engine compartment and the instructions don’t mention where to connect it

thanks

#24 ·
Well everyone with a 2019 Durango in ANY trim level looking for the mystery brake controller plug next to OBD port under the kick panel? IT DOES NOT EXIST! It's not up in the dash near the media stack either. I just spent close to $45000.00 for this bad ass looking truck. another $1000.00 for a dealer installed factory hitch with factory wiring and come to find out after the fact the Mopar brake controller(trailer brake) has been discontinued. I have spoken to several parts managers at local dealers no one knows why. Well I do now it's because when they designed this truck for 2019 they didn't add in the 4 pin connector for the controller to be plug and play. I spoke with FCA about this and they directed me to the selling dealer to open a service "STAR" case with the engineering dept. I can't believe that they make this beautiful machine that has plenty of power to pull a trailer but can't stop it? My best advise, if you are looking for a 2019 and up Durango and you have a camper that weights over 3000 lbs, make sure it has a FACTORY equipped tow package. The package will include an integrated trailer brake, heavy duty cooling, load leveling rear suspension, and Hitch with 7 way connector. I am pretty sure all trim levels from SXT to SRT it's available. Good luck finding one you may need to order it, I searched everyone with in a 100 miles and no dealer had one.I believe 2011-2018 Durango /Grand Cherokees are still equipped with the 4 pin plug in controller. Good going Dodge not a smart move, were the engineers that designed this new harness drinking on the job?

#25 ·
were the engineers that designed this new harness drinking on the job?
Aw come on, if they were drinking, I’m confident they would have forgotten more!

Don’t blame Dodge, blame the dealers!! They order what THEY think the public wants. My buddy runs into this every time for his Ram trucks. Ends up finding 2-3 (tops) with the options he wants..IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY! Traveling over 100 miles may seem out of the question for a vehicle, but if it has your options, then ya gotta focus on it!

I’m sorry to hear that the tow package was an under sight that is having more consequences than the dealer installed equipment.

#28 ·
I guess the big question here is why does the Mopar accessory department offer a O.E.M trailer hitch & wiring application along with a brake controller for a 2019 Durango??? The vehicle was built with no provisions to except the controller connection. Again I have done this with several other vehicles. Added it to my 2011 Durango, hitch, tow harness & controller. All plug and play, dealer installed it. Worked flawless and looked as it came from the factory. Not a 2019, this is an engineering design F***k up. I am working with the dealer and FCA to get this corrected. I have been a loyal to Chrysler for many years. Worked in the service dept. When the Vipers, Prowlers, PT Cruisers, Magnums, and the come back of the Chargers and Challengers hit the sales floors, I did the PDI's on them. And guess what I have seen factory mess ups. An example, a Caravan with the pass side interior side panels tan and the drivers gray. We will see how this plays out, like said before. Stay tuned.

#29 ·
Please keep us posted. I'm in the same situation with my 2019 RT. I've installed the OEM hitch and harness and had it activated by a dealer. Still awaiting some useful info on how to install an OEM controller. There has to be a way, the fuse block is preloaded with the circuits and the fuses for it!

#35 ·
Do you have the Mopar accessory controller? I has been dis-continued. My guess is because the vehicle DOES NOT Have THE 4 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG in the vehicle. I do have a couple of questions for you. Was your R/T imported from Canada? Was it a former fleet vehicle , or rental? Did you purchase it new? The wiring on the connector is fairly simple. It's a 4 wire set up ; power wire, ground wire, brake pedal switch circuit wire, and a blue wire to the trailer 7 pin outlet to the trailer plug to the hitch. Apparently that blue wire goes no where into the vehicle harness,(that's the wire that feeds the power to the trailers brakes) this is what I have researched. No one seems to have the answer. The 4 pin brake controller connector is suppose to tie those wires to the locations with out cutting or modification. I had a highly skilled installer refuse to install a after market unit by hard wiring to the vehicle. He research the circuit & stated the gauge of the factory wiring is a smaller gauge. Also he added the manufacturer of the controller notes not to install on a 2019 Durango, can cause the transmission to up/down shift incorrectly due to high resistance from the modification. I am awaiting for FCA Dodge division to get back to me. The engineering people are the ones that need to figure this out. I suggest to speak with them and start a case assignment. Depending who you speak with you my need to call back to get someone that knows what your problem is & understands. FCA customer care 1-844-521-8188 you will need the last 8 digits of your VIN# This is what sucks, I love this truck! I had a 2011 Durango Crew prior added the same hitch package from Mopar, plugged in the brake controller in 15 minutes and pulled my camper every where for 5 seasons ZERO issues. Now I saved up to upgrade for the R/T HEMI and all the other goodies and very disappointed.

#30 ·
I am speaking out of ignorance here, but couldn’t the correct electronics be installed from a WORST CASE standpoint? Boards, control modules, expensive electronics etc etc...whatever gets installed on the trailer tow version ya know? Aside from all the obvious that you have installed.

Please keep in mind I really don’t know what is missing for them to install the factory controller, but just trying to brainstorm/pull strings.

There’s gotta be a way, even with a big price tag, to get it installed. I see there are aftermarket brake controllers that operate via your phone and Bluetooth...but I just can’t see that being safe!

#31 ·
Okay Woody, here is an update. I do believe It would not be impossible, how ever you are 100% correct, big $. Starting with removal of the dash, all seats carpet and just about every plastic trim covering in the interior. Then replace the complete body wiring harness, also the Body Control Module with the optional towing package harness, including the integrated brake controller . After the harness and BCM is installed, next you would need to add the switch pod that goes under the push start button and swap it with that triangle shaped trim piece (on the R/T its fake carbon fiber pattern). Now that everything is re-assembled just program to vehicle and now a factory brake controller with gain increase & decrease. The harness is probably about $6500.00 if I was to guess, the B.C.M. about $800.00 and the switch maybe $180.00. I would also guess. add about 40 hours of labor about $5200.00. My best estimate is about $12680.00 to convert over. Do you see my frustration, a simple 4 pin connector provision from the harness allows about a 15 min. plug and play Mopar accessory or after market controller to be added. I have a good amount of automotive knowledge, I write estimates every day and bill and labor operation codes to manufacturer for a living. There is one more piece of this puzzle, are there any Durango owners that have a Canadian imported vehicle or rental fleet on this blog? This would be very important information to me. If so please let me know. Oddly enough this evening I went to the dealer and looked at a 2020 Grand Cherokee(same platform as Durango) I pulled the kick panel down & by the O.B.D. port there it was the infamous 4 pin connector for an add on brake controller. Weird ! By the way I did rent that U-haul to drag my camper to camp while the Durango followed behind with the family. Good times!

#32 ·
Wow! I would not have guess it’d cost so much and also that so much wiring be changed. Also VERY strange that the grand cherokee has the port! Did it have the tow package? I was going to think maybe it was a trim level thing, but you have an R/T so it doesn’t make sense. I don’t know any good reason for it to not be there.

Any luck working with the dealer? What do they have to say over at FCA customer service?

#34 ·
Please keep us posted. I'm in the same situation with my 2019 RT. I've installed the OEM hitch and harness and had it activated by a dealer. Still awaiting some useful info on how to install an OEM controller. There has to be a way, the fuse block is preloaded with the circuits and the fuses for it!
Do you have the Mopar accessory controller? I has been dis-continued. My guess is because the vehicle DOES NOT Have THE 4 PIN CONNECTOR PLUG in the vehicle. I do have a couple of questions for you. Was your R/T imported from Canada? Was it a former fleet vehicle , or rental? Did you purchase it new? The wiring on the connector is fairly simple. It's a 4 wire set up ; power wire, ground wire, brake pedal switch circuit wire, and a blue wire to the trailer 7 pin outlet to the trailer plug to the hitch. Apparently that blue wire goes no where into the vehicle harness,(that's the wire that feeds the power to the trailers brakes) this is what I have researched. No one seems to have the answer. The 4 pin brake controller connector is suppose to tie those wires to the locations with out cutting or modification. I had a highly skilled installer refuse to install a after market unit by hard wiring to the vehicle. He research the circuit & stated the gauge of the factory wiring is a smaller gauge. Also he added the manufacturer of the controller notes not to install on a 2019 Durango, can cause the transmission to up/down shift incorrectly due to high resistance from the modification. I am awaiting for FCA Dodge division to get back to me. The engineering people are the ones that need to figure this out. I suggest to speak with them and start a case assignment. Depending who you speak with you my need to call back to get someone that knows what your problem is & understands. FCA customer care 1-844-521-8188 you will need the last 8 digits of your VIN# This is what sucks, I love this truck! I had a 2011 Durango Crew prior added the same hitch package from Mopar, plugged in the brake controller in 15 minutes and pulled my camper every where for 5 seasons ZERO issues. Now I saved up to upgrade for the R/T HEMI and all the other goodies and very disappointed. Please give any feed back that you may have. We need to stick together one this factory F*** Up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.