Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!! I just purchased a 19 Durango RT for the hemi and the extra towing capacity. I previously had a traverse with a towing package. I like a moron didnt buy the Durango with the Hitch factory installed. The dealer insisted they could install the towing hitch to factory specs so instead of waitng for one to arrive I went with the one they had at the dealership. In my old vehicle I had the tekonsha brake controller installed which i installed myself. I watched a ton of youtube videos where people installed the brake controller on a durango in like 5 minutes. For some reason my vehicle does not have the connector that is installed in the previous model year vehicles. I even took it to the dealer and they could not find the connector. Has anyone else encountered this issue or is this something new for the 19 vehicles? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you can install the tow hitch and B.C.and add thr harness however the tow package also comes with load-leveling rear shocks, transmission oil cooler, and a full-sized spare as well.

the tow rating on non-factory hitches is lower....at least that's what I've read. I just ordered one WITH the factory tow package for that reason.

I read that 18s have the connections for the wiring under the bumper but haven't seen any 19s. there's also something that must be enabled in the ECU to avoid some electrical sensors getting confused while you're towing. The dealer can do it and usually charges about $65.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. On the 2019 those features come standard on the RT. I have a mopar Class IV hitch and wiring harness. For some reason I dont have that connector under the dash to quick connect my BC like the previous model years. I plan on taking it back to my dealer in a couple of days and hopefully they will be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I have to wait for mine till March so.....just have to settle for my 11 year old Escape V6 with a smelly oil leak for now.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Thanks for responding. On the 2019 those features come standard on the RT. I have a mopar Class IV hitch and wiring harness. For some reason I dont have that connector under the dash to quick connect my BC like the previous model years. I plan on taking it back to my dealer in a couple of days and hopefully they will be able to figure it out.
You are not seeing it most likely as the brake controller is now built-in to the dash when you get the towing package.
Might be tucked or tied up close or within the center stack as I believe that's where the built in brake controller is installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. Took my durango back to the dealer. They took it to a local trailer shop. The shop could not find the harness to connect the brake controller. So apparently the 2019 does not come with a harness. Now the dealer thinks they are going to order the proper harness. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Everyone!! I just purchased a 19 Durango RT for the hemi and the extra towing capacity. I previously had a traverse with a towing package. I like a moron didnt buy the Durango with the Hitch factory installed. The dealer insisted they could install the towing hitch to factory specs so instead of waitng for one to arrive I went with the one they had at the dealership. In my old vehicle I had the tekonsha brake controller installed which i installed myself. I watched a ton of youtube videos where people installed the brake controller on a durango in like 5 minutes. For some reason my vehicle does not have the connector that is installed in the previous model year vehicles. I even took it to the dealer and they could not find the connector. Has anyone else encountered this issue or is this something new for the 19 vehicles? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I also month ago purchased 2019 Durango RT 5.7L HEMI. I like SUV and also needed towing capacity. My trailer weight 6000 pounds. I have towing package IV and Electronic brake controller installed already by factory.
I'm wandering if it have Transmission cooler, or maybe it installed by default. I read sticker and nowhere it says about transmission cooler. My car have only 500 miles so I'm waiting get at least 1000-2000 miles before tow trailer. Just don't want to break brand new engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also month ago purchased 2019 Durango RT 5.7L HEMI. I like SUV and also needed towing capacity. My trailer weight 6000 pounds. I have towing package IV and Electronic brake controller installed already by factory.
I'm wandering if it have Transmission cooler, or maybe it installed by default. I read sticker and nowhere it says about transmission cooler. My car have only 500 miles so I'm waiting get at least 1000-2000 miles before tow trailer. Just don't want to break brand new engine.
Tow Package IV has the transmission cooler included.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just an update. Took my durango back to the dealer. They took it to a local trailer shop. The shop could not find the harness to connect the brake controller. So apparently the 2019 does not come with a harness. Now the dealer thinks they are going to order the proper harness. I will let everyone know how it turns out.
Any updates for the missing controller harness dilemma? I'm in the same situation with my 19. I have a feeling an additonal harness is going to be needed or it's buried up behind the center console.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure about your 2019 but my 2014 DD R/T has the towing package which includes the transmission cooler, a larger alternator and battery, and larger brake rotors and pads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2019 DD R/T. I ordered the factory hitch and installed it myself. I can confirm that the harness for the trailer connector is no longer there - unless I just completely went blind and missed it. I saw plenty of you tube videos and checked a friends R/T (2017) that had it. Mopar's website is showing what looks like to be the harness and trailer connector as a package (no pic) - part# 82216007AB.

I'm using the hitch for racks, not planning on pulling a trailer. Still, I was disappointed. If I change my mind I'll probably just get a kit from curts or something along those lines..

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can get the factory tow on all models . I just took delivery of a 2020 SXT with the factory tow with the brake controller incorporated into the dash where you adjust it . I dont tow anything heavy enough to have to use the brake controller but nice to know it's there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I think we all understand that the tow package is available installed from the factory. For those of us that bought an 2019 R/T without the tow package installed (hitch, harness), the new integrated controller is the question. The tow harness is readily available for installation, I did it last month. How do we get it or.....how can we integrate our own controller into the vehicle since the OEM plug is no longer present at its previous location with earlier year models?

For year 2019 and 2020 mopar accessory catalog still shows a digital controller that is mounted under the dash and connects to the plug that is no longer present. Installation instructions are dated June 2016.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lol I do! All thanks to a quick online search. This is off a 2020 SXT for sale. I also read 2019’s have this available. It’s just below the ignition button.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another one. This it from an SRT for sale. It’s closer so looks like maybe that panel gets changed out too? I’d add it if I didn’t already have mine in a good spot.

This is mine in my r/t. I actually slid it over to the left more than what’s pictured. Cable was too short lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder if that factory one can be added to an 18 R/T? I doubt it but it would be nice.

In my experience with several vehicles there is not a brake controller out there that works as good as the factory installed ones.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts