Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall. I bought my wife a 2019 Durango R/T last November. I'm stoked to have a full Hemi stable now! And I absolutely love the Durango. It's comfortable and looks bad ass. But I have to admit that the power feels a little flat. Just judging by the seat of my pants, my 2017 Ram 1500 is faster than the Durango. I understand the 5.7's in the trucks have a higher power output due to taller intakes, but I figured lugging the truck around would negate that extra horsepower. Anyway, I'm just browsing around for some performance mods to pep up the Durango R/T a bit. I'd freaking love to put that bad ass hood scoop to actual use and make it a functional intake scoop, not just a vent. Any other ideas for mods that aren't too radical???

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume your 1500 has 3.92 gears?
I think it's actually got the higher ratio (3.60, I think)

And it's not just the acceleration, it's the power curve. The truck just feels solid all the way through 5000rpm or so. The Durango just feels flat from like 3500 to 5000.
Admittedly, these are pure guestimations. Just judging by the seat of my pants. Haven't done any actual analysis to see where the power is.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I believe the trucks have a dual runner intake which is why you feel the power stays steady while the Durango falls flat. You can add the dual runner intake from the 6.4L. It takes a bit of wiring, but that helps the low end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the trucks have a dual runner intake which is why you feel the power stays steady while the Durango falls flat. You can add the dual runner intake from the 6.4L. It takes a bit of wiring, but that helps the low end.
Brilliant. Thanks for the pointer!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey yall. I bought my wife a 2019 Durango R/T last November. I'm stoked to have a full Hemi stable now! And I absolutely love the Durango. It's comfortable and looks bad ass. But I have to admit that the power feels a little flat. Just judging by the seat of my pants, my 2017 Ram 1500 is faster than the Durango. I understand the 5.7's in the trucks have a higher power output due to taller intakes, but I figured lugging the truck around would negate that extra horsepower. Anyway, I'm just browsing around for some performance mods to pep up the Durango R/T a bit. I'd freaking love to put that bad ass hood scoop to actual use and make it a functional intake scoop, not just a vent. Any other ideas for mods that aren't too radical???

Thanks in advance!

try pedal commander, no real HP gains, but it will put a smile on your face. 10 minute install and every time you push the peddle you smile a little bigger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pedal commander a must buy as one of first mods !!! quick question guys, where can I purchase 3.45 gears to go into my 15' durango r/t ?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sweet rides and love the HEMI stable you got going on. I have a 2017 Durango R/T and my friend has a 2015 1500 Ram Sport and I have driven his truck and then got into my Durango and my Durango feels faster. It's a different feel as the Durango launches much harder as the Ram spins the tires and is harder to get off the line. mid power feels close as they both have nice power. He has a Drop in K&N Air filer with factory air intake system and I have a Full K&N CAI system.
The K&N CAI system makes a very noticeable difference. I also didn't test it by the seat of my pants as I have been to the 1/4 mile track and have made 3 passes with each system. My best with the Factory air system was a 14.1 @ 96 MPH and with the K&N my best pass was a 13.8 @ 99 MPH. So yes there is a pretty good difference for only a few hundred bucks investment.
For your Durango you have to use the K&N Vent block as water without it gets right in where the air filter goes. You can also use Frog Skin material to stop most of the water from getting underneath the hood. I have been researching this type of thing due to the fact that my lease up this year and I'm probably gonna get another Durango R/T.
I recently put my Stock Air system back on just to try it out and It felt like my Durango fell on it's face. The power just felt so different. It's not huge but you can feel it in response and especially at full throttle. The torque curve feels different in the mid range. I put my K&N CAI system back on.
Another slight HP Gain would be doing the exhaust system. It's a small amount of HP but will support more things if you keep going down the rabbit hole. I suggest the Flowmaster Cat back system.
Headers are also a nice way to add some power. Krooks are the popular choice for the Durango. They also make new Cat down pipes to match up with their headers.
I think if you just do those things, the Durango will feel and sound completely different

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Not a performance mod but something to keep in mind. The Durango can run on 87 octane, I however always run 89 for daily driving. The 87 octane will back off the timing and limit your power. The 89 octane will allow the engine to produce I feel most of it's power. But honestly despite what others say I also have tested different Octane's at the track and found 89 octane to run the slowest. 91 and 93 depending on what you have available around you allows for maximum power. With the higher octane it doesn't make you faster it just allows the engine to perform its best.
I ran my personal best time on 93 octane and my 2nd best time on 91 octane. I ran my worse times on 89 octane.
A lot of people claim you need a tune and running 89 octane will provide maximum power due to the fact the owners manual suggests using 89 octane and 87 is fine. I disagree as I can feel a difference in everyday driving with different octane fuels and proved it to myself at the track.
Since I don't drive around at full throttle on the street for everyday driving I don't waste my money and buy 91 or 93. I run every day all the time on 89 and my Durango feels pretty good there. But before I go to the track 2 weeks prior to going I burn down the 89 octane tank to 1/8 and fill up with 91 or 93 and burn that down to 1/8 tank and then just top off to 1/4 tank gas for raceday. This technic I use seems to provide my best ET's at the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts